Recommend me some prog metal

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    A curious mix.
    I'm not sure Mind Over 4 would have come to mind as prog metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2936
    edited March 2015

• vizviz Frets: 10731
    beed84 said:
    boogieman said:
    viz;556965" said:
    Dream Theater
    Hmmm, interesting. I'd have never thought of them as prog metal. Any particular album you'd recommend?
    I have heard some of their stuff but found it a bit too arty-farty tbh. I can't remember which album it was but it sounded like Yes in their OTT pretentious-rock era.

Train of Thought probably shows their metal side the most.  Great album too.

EDIT: 
    boogieman said:
     I like complex music with changes of pace, riff driven but with lots of variety.
    Then I'd check out Scenes From A Memory.  Not as metaly but it certainly covers the above.  One of my favourite albums ever.

correct
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    That 00s list rhad Indukti - Susar on it which is fucking awesome. I had totally forgotten about that album!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Bidley said:

My god they were all fucking terrible. Do you really really love iron maiden by any chance?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    There seems to be a fairly fine line between prog metal and power metal.  Not that it matters.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    None of them sound like Maiden.

Mostly they sound like bands that listened to bands that didn't get Maiden.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    PolarityMan;558054" said:
    Bidley said:

My god they were all fucking terrible. Do you really really love iron maiden by any chance?
    Sorry, not keen on any of these either. Mainly because of the vocals, they do all sound like Bruce Dickinson wannabes.
    The guitarist on a lot of them also sound like instead of writing a song started out by saying "hey I spent 200 hours practicing my widllylyxian scale so I'd better jam it in at every possible opportunity" instead of actually writing a song. Except for the quieter bits in the first one ithey didn't feel that proggu to me either
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Philly_Q said:
    There seems to be a fairly fine line between prog metal and power metal.  Not that it matters.

No there really isn't. People only think that because of dream theater.......who are awful.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    Philly_Q said:

No there really isn't. People only think that because of dream theater.......who are awful.
    All I meant was it seems a fine line to me.  

I have very little idea which bands would be categorised in one genre or the other, and to be honest I don't care much.  There are bands I like and bands I don't like, that's all I'm bothered about really.

Which isn't to say I never fall into the trap of putting music into boxes, of course I do, I just don't understand all the minute differentiations between sub-sub-sub-genres, all that technical black prog glam speed groove powergrind or whatever.

... Have any of you actually heard Iron Maiden?
    Philly_Q said:

You can shit on people's music tastes all you like, but don't go posting plain erroneous, idiotic stuff like that.

@Philly_Q there is a large overlap between Prog and Power. A couple of the bands I posted straddle the line, but they do have a lot of parallels. But 'Prog' is such a vast and wishy-washy descriptor, despite what Captain Positive up there says.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Philly_Q said:

You can shit on people's music tastes all you like, but don't go posting plain erroneous, idiotic stuff like that.

@Philly_Q there is a large overlap between Prog and Power. A couple of the bands I posted straddle the line, but they do have a lot of parallels. But 'Prog' is such a vast and wishy-washy descriptor, despite what Captain Positive up there says.

Personally I'd rather people didn't associate that sort of music with the genre I play in as I find it embarrassingly cheesy. If you like power metal..fine..I don't but don't try to pass it off as prog-metal. I'm also pretty certain that dream theater's progginess and metalness are both over stated......and that while they are outstanding musicians they are an awful awful band.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Anyway a few more:

Like a proggier Incubus

Kinda djenty but still proggish

More post rocky take on things
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Personally I'd rather people didn't associate that sort of music with the genre I play in as I find it embarrassingly cheesy. If you like power metal..fine..I don't but don't try to pass it off as prog-metal. I'm also pretty certain that dream theater's progginess and metalness are both over stated......and that while they are outstanding musicians they are an awful awful band.
    Tough. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't Prog, or Metal. That's utterly retarded. Like it or not, Beyond the Bridge, Threshold, Pagan's Mind and most definitely Fates Warning and Dream Theater are Progressive Metal, to say otherwise is absurd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    Bidley said:
    Philly_Q said:

I believe I can attest to that, having witnessed Bidley on stage physically straddling that line with his Prog Power stance.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Tough. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't Prog, or Metal. That's utterly retarded. Like it or not, Beyond the Bridge, Threshold, Pagan's Mind and most definitely Fates Warning and Dream Theater are Progressive Metal, to say otherwise is absurd.
    Well no more absurd than you saying they are because you like them (or just because you say they are..not sure which stance your really taking), at least I made a cursory effort to explain why. Admittedly I only listened to those tracks you posted so there's the off chance their other output sounds different but I would place most of those bands musically with the likes of Nightwish or maybe even bands like Amon Amarth (or obviously Iron Maiden) rather than being musically similar to other prog bands....but ultimately neither of us are the genre police.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited March 2015

Well no more absurd than you saying they are because you like them (or just because you say they are..not sure which stance your really taking), at least I made a cursory effort to explain why.

I said neither of those things, you know this. Those bands are widely viewed as having more than a few progressive elements. Prog is a descriptor rather than a genre, it applies to so many different kinds of music. Later Death and Pink Floyd are both progressive, and they sound nothing alike.

If your effort to explain your stance is to simply say "Dream Theater are awful" then I don't really need to say anything more. You're right, neither of us are the genre police, but I wasn't the one scoffing at Prog suggestions with nothing to back it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom