fender jerry donaghue telecaster

What's Hot
llewllew Frets: 78
What's the general consensus on an early 90's Japanese fender jd tele?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    I had one, was lovely... Miss it! Chunky V shaped neck, loads of sounds as it has a 5 way switch.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    edited March 2015
    Had the red one in mid 90's I'd guess. Loved it. Chunky vneck was great too. Stupidly sold it. More traditional now so I wouldn't want the neck pickup (it's pretty hot from memory and strat sized?). Completely forgot about the 5 way! Great guitars that were always well spoken off.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Always fancied one. I looked into them some years ago and pretty much all feedback seemed positive at the time.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    General consensus is if you can find one at a good enough price worth checking out. Not for the traditionalists but makes the right noises plus a few more. Should have Seymour Duncan pickups, a custom JD bridge and an APNS (cannot remember which one) Strat pickup in the Neck.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Had one but my Baja is just as good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    They do look cool,I'm looking around for a new tele?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I've had three and still have a red one from the first run in 1992, bought new in Denmark St. They're great guitars which normally fetch anywhere from £450 to £650 when they come up.

I played the US-made signature version and hated it. The Japanese ones are livelier and look great with the binding. They did them in red, sunburst, black and blue, all nice options

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I almost bought one but relented. But they always seem highly rated by most guitarists irrespective of genre. I'm sure I saw an interview once with Ace of Skunk Anansie & he had a Japanese one for recording.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Bloke in Coldplay had one in the early years. Likewise the Bombay Bicycle Club chap

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Yes Johnny Buckland had a blue one didn't he!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Mine is blue.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Had mine from new in '97. Love it. I upgraded the pickups to Wilde Keystones, fitted a Wilkinson compensated 3-saddle bridge and had to change out the pots when they got scratchy, but most of that was done only fairly recently. It's been my main guitar most of that time. They're not very common, but I've generally only heard positive things about them.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y07t2i5hrqjbvo1/20150316_230548_resize_20150316_230634.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y07t2i5hrqjbvo1/20150316_230548_resize_20150316_230634.jpg?raw=1
    Colour is dark blue - looks lighter in natural light. Has a lovely fitted case that hugs the body shape - only one I've seen like that. Might be persuaded to sell it as I'm going to see dickieguitar's Redplate amp tomorrow :)
    Ooohhh! Tempted much.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Fret King do the sig model now ... also very GAS worthy
    There's too many guitars that are gas worthy, that's the trouble.
    close2u;560843" said:
    Fret King do the sig model now ... also very GAS worthy
    Jerry is a bit of a signature model whore- he's had pretty much the same guitar made for him by Fender, Peavey and now Fret King / Vintage. Aside from the name on the headstock it's always been a 50s style T-type with a strat pickup in the neck position and a five way switch with a couple of tricky extra wiring options. @Loobs may have a point about the Baja Tele, which is conceptually quite similar, but takes the extra sounds idea further.

edited March 2015

I'd quite like to get my hands on one of his signature CIJ Strats too- the concept was quite similar - getting all Jerry's favourite Fender sounds out of a single guitar- but starting with a Strat instead of a Tele. As I recall they had an extra switch to get neck+bridge and all three pickups, plus a metal baseplate on the bridge pickup and a metal plate under the scratchplate to simulate a Tele's ashtray bridge to get a more Tele-like tone from the bridge position.

http://jerry-donahue-strat.com/index.html

• PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Anyone played a Peavey Omniac?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    The Omniac was fabulous. I loved the neck on the one I played but tbh, the price was what put me off combined with poor residuals. In many ways, I wish I'd just bought the thing now...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.