fender jerry donaghue telecaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Plukky said:
    Anyone played a Peavey Omniac?
    Another guitar I really wanted some years ago. Once again, seem to get a lot of positive comments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    brucegill said:
    Had the red one in mid 90's I'd guess. Loved it. Chunky vneck was great too. Stupidly sold it. More traditional now so I wouldn't want the neck pickup (it's pretty hot from memory and strat sized?). Completely forgot about the 5 way! Great guitars that were always well spoken off.
    I have a Japanese built Fender JD Tele that I bought secondhand in the early 90's, the pickups are actually both relatively low output, the neck Strat one is 5.51k and regular Tele bridge 6.01k on my guitar. It's one of the earlier ones with the neck pickup too near the neck (where a regular Tele pickup would be, this was changed a year or two later IIRC) so 5th fret harmonics simply don't happen on this pickup, for reasoning I do not understand :-/

I messed up my 5-way wiring from trying out many different pickups, some of the wires came loose and I couldn't work out where they went, so I put a 3-way in there and haven't missed the other 2 funky-but-useless-for-me other 2 sounds since.

Nice light guitar (just under 7lb) with a fairly big neck, and a chunky ashtray bridge that makes the US made ones look like a child's first attempt in metalwork! here's a gratuitous photo of my using mine at the end of last yearimage

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    That looks like a cracker.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866

I always liked the look of the JD Teles.  I even got Fender to send me a wiring diagram (on paper, in those pre-internet days).

Just wondering now, what's the fingerboard radius and how big are the frets?

Vintage radius 7.25" with a V shape that rounds off towards the 12th fret or so.

The frets on my JD were levelled off when I bought it 2nd hand (lower in the middle than the edges, for some strange reason), so I've no idea what profile they were originally but they look like your regular vintage frets I guess...

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    Thanks for that!  I wonder if the frets were levelled that way to effectively create a slightly flatter radius without having to re-profile the fretboard itself?
    Yeah, when I took it in to be set-up that's basically what the luthier chap said, it was possibly also to give it a more "slinky feeling" (his words, not mine!)

Seeing as a re-fret would have cost me as much as I paid for the guitar I just left it, but the 'slinky feel' hasn't really bothered me to be honest.

• M_DM_D Frets: 0
    Hi you all. My first post here. I have an early 90-ies JD in sunburst that I might be willing to sell. Please PM me if interested.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Massive thread resurrection!

Are these alder or basswood? 

Is the V neck chunkier than say a MIM Classic 50’s?

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited January 2020
    Zoolooter said:
    Massive thread resurrection!

Are these alder or basswood? 

Is the V neck chunkier than say a MIM Classic 50’s?

They are Basswood, and no, the neck is not any chunkier than a 50's classic. It's a typical '52 Tele V shaped neck (I've owned about 6 over the years), and IMO nowadays they are unjustly overpriced.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    close2u said:
    Fret King do the sig model now ... also very GAS worthy
    I had one with the Wilkinson pickups, it was very nice and I wish I hadn't sold it. I guess the Seymour Duncan version would be even nicer. I loved the V neck on it, with a 7.25" radius fingerboard.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Dan Auerbach had a modded one for all the early Black Keys stuff......amazing.
  • I was going to add that about Dan Auerbach too, I'm not sure how much he used it on the records, but to me they haven't been as good since he moved on from that Tele...

Regarding the body wood: yes, as far as I know they're normally bass wood & please don't be put off by that, it can be great for guitar bodies. Check out some other threads on here about this. Like other species it can vary quite a bit in weight, but it usually all looks the same- very straight grained & very uninteresting (at least what I've seen), though personally I think it looks really nice through a coloured trans finish.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Thanks for the info everyone. Mixed views then really, I was hoping the neck was a proper chunky V and an alder body. 
  • You could get a Baja for less. Great necks :+1: 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Bajas can be very heavy but as you say great necks .
  • I had one. Loved it. Chunky neck if thats ur thing. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2527
    edited January 2020
    rossi said:
    Bajas can be very heavy but as you say great necks .
    No different to any guitar really just pick a good un