The Best Cider Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 994
    edited September 2015
    Usually drink westons, magners, sometimes stowford press, kopparberg and aspalls.

I try to avoid strongbow and magners golden draught (strongbow in disguise I call it)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Henry Westons Vintage 8.6%..  I like a cider on a Sunday, I'd normally just have one but last week it was 3 for £5 at the local shop, so I got 3.  I stayed up watching Narcos on Netflix and really can't remember a thing.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Pulse and White lightening, the perfect precursor to unsatisfactory sex in the swingpark.

FTR, Henry Westons and Aspall.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to drink Friels quite a bit, because it tastes fresh and appley. I'm sure it didn't used to have sulphites in, but it appears that it does these days, according to this link: http://www.astonmanor.co.uk/ciders/friels/

I also used to help out at a local beer/music festival and we were allowed a couple of drinks after we'd finished for the night (ie. about 03:00). I found this particularly drinkable: http://www.gwyntcidershop.com/draught/dog-dancer/

R.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    bertie said:
    Ianpdq said:
    What you on about Bertie ?  :D

do you, or do you not hail from Zummerzet ?  and then you go to the dregs of the west country to drink cider, passing through the second best zyder producer on the way..................and then ask for recommendations.

Rattler is the stuff of nightclub goers and hip festival types who know no better

Wicker man  for you
    Rattler Pear on draught is differant when you been drinking scrumpy all the time :)

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    Lilley's ciders are very good , got into them drinking at The Cider Tap in Euston , their 'Apples and Pears' is dangerous stuff , too easy to drink and 6.5% !
  • holnrew said:
    Anything from outside Somerset isn't worth keeping in a beaker on the bedside table.
    Or in a pan underneath it.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:
    Anything from outside Somerset isn't worth keeping in a beaker on the bedside table.
    What nonsense.

I'm from Herefordshire and we produce some of the finest cider in the country....

Top 3 are:
    Oliver's 
    Henneys
    Westons

Although I will concede that we also produce Strongbow which I wouldn't even wash my front step with but we can't have everything! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • The Herefordshire stuff is good, Henneys in particular.
    Use Your Brian
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    miserneil said:
    holnrew said:
    What nonsense.

I'm from Herefordshire and we produce some of the finest cider in the country....

Top 3 are:
    Oliver's 
    Henneys
    Westons

Although I will concede that we also produce Strongbow which I wouldn't even wash my front step with but we can't have everything! ;-)
    No. That's not cider, even if it is nice. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Living in the West Country, I can reliably recommend Old Rosie as one o the best around (as well as the most dangerous).
    tFB Trader
    Maynehead;788721" said:
    Living in the West Country, I can reliably recommend Old Rosie as one o the best around (as well as the most dangerous).
    Living in the West Country I can reliably, absolutely NOT recommend Old Rosie...some of the things I have done while on that stuff would make #piggate look tame...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yeah, Old Rosie has done some crazy shit to me in the past. Love it though.

As for 'traditional' cider I'll always go for a Westons Vintage, or if I'm feeling hardcore then maybe a Rum Cask cider. Stowford Press/Scrumpy Jack/Strongbow (fuck you) for standard cider tipple.

For the bottled fruit ciders you get at the offie/supermarket, it's hard to beat Rekorderlig, although Old Mout is amazing as well.
  • WezV;54483" said:
    Carling Cider , seriously very good for a mainstream cider

OK, hands up, I work for them so the main reason its now my cider of choice is I get quite a bit free. its not just that though, because I can also get Carling Lager and Magners cider free through work, but rarely do 

But Carling Cider is a good quality, easy drinking cider.   Less chemically furry teeth than strongbow, less gassy than bulmers or magners, not over sweet like steel cidre and actually tastes appley.   
    I quite like this, if a pub doesn't have thatchers gold I tend to aim for this.

But I'm a but of a cider fan - I loved living in Norwich as there are so many options from Norfolk and Suffolk.

Aspal was a bit fizzy for me, and a touch bitter.
  • Old rosie is nice, too.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Orchard Pig is also a nice drop.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I live three miles from Thatchers. Also equidistant from Butcombe. Tis hard living in Hardyland.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Dragging this up from the depths of TFB's database but it's nearing summer. 
     Anyway I rarely used to drink at home, just didn't bother for years unless the wifey forced me to. I've had a lot of time off work over the last month while the wife's been away and felt a bit thirsty one warm day. 3 Thatchers or Westons fora fiver, why not? By God it was a revelation. I'll try one of each I thought Thatchers Gold, Vintage and Katy, not noticing the last 2 are over 8%. Woke up next morning, no headache. Yay! (I get a stinking hangover from a pint sometimes, hangover roulette) let's repeat the experiment with Westons in case it was a fluke, same result.

So am now in month 2 of the experiment and I have concluded that drinking at home is now OK and cider is the tool of choice. 

I fancy trying a few "boutique" ciders along the vein of Thatchers or Westons.
     Any recommendations?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    /thread.

I designed the labels too.

http://www.farmcider.co.uk/

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.