The old low watt amp discussion

What's Hot
Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
edited March 2015 in Amps

After having come to the conclusion that my Fender is simply far too loud to get anything approaching power amp distortion, I am now exploring the world of low wattage heads. I'm thinking this would then give me the option to have a full on OD sound at top volume, cleaning things up from the volume control where needed.

My only experience of this was with a Class 5 Marshall, which was much fun. However, before I get my credit card out, thought I'd see if there were any other avenues I should be checking out.

Happy to go used, budget is top end of £600 (or less if possible) and ideally a head as I already have a good 2x12 to hand (and combos hurt my back more!).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I've been looking at the Yamaha TR5's I think they are, or they might be called TR10C, everything I've read about them has been super positive for a desk top amp, plus they are cheap at sub £150.00, and they look pretty cool too, which we all know is the most important bit.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Maybe worth considering Power Scaling or using an attenuator. I don't know if scaling can be retro fitted to your particular amp but if it can, I'm sure it would work out cheaper than buying another amp.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12018
    where are you playing it? how quiet does it need to be?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    I started using a 5 watt amp about 3 years ago. Now 4 of my friends playing in bands have followed suit and everyone seems happy. They are cheap, light to carry and don't take up much room. Sometimes though it's hard at some venues to get even a 5 watt amp loud enough to make the power section start cooking if you use one with a sensitive speaker as it's just too loud. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27341
    I've been through the same process and you're either a big amp guy or a small amp guy. I'm definitely a small amp guy, and currently have a Laney L5T, which is a combo, but a bloody good one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Thanks all. I do like the current amp (Fender Super Sonic 60) and the sounds are definitely there. However, just fancying a change and these suggestions are all helping!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited March 2015
    ...if you really are looking at low watt then that Hotone British Invasion and a separate HB V30 1x12 cab look a brilliant option for a combined total ~ £150 from Thomann
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Cornford harlequin or Carrera are righteous, but only come in combo form. An MJW Goldstar or Goldstar Twin would be just in range and has the whole hand-wired-in-Blighty-by-a-top-bloke thing going on. What about the Cornell Plexi combo in the classifieds: it's small so just disconnect and run straight into the 2x12. I would (and am in the process of thinking about) go for an MJW Goldstar with the EL34 output (10w). You can oot for 6v6 for lower...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Emery Sound Micro Baby - 1 watt. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    Fender Princeton Reverb is my favourite low watt amp, it's an instrument in itself.
    My favourite model is the 68 custom one.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    I've looked at those Emery amps before but there's nowhere in the UK you can try one. They do look nice apart from the asymmetrical glass front. Considering the quality, they don't seem too expensive, although they are a bit light on features, be nice if they had built in reverb.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I've looked at those Emery amps before but there's nowhere in the UK you can try one. They do look nice apart from the asymmetrical glass front. Considering the quality, they don't seem too expensive, although they are a bit light on features, be nice if they had built in reverb.
    If you're ever in the Norf, pop in for a cup of tea, you can try mine; it's practically never off...
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the very kind offer, unfortunately, it's difficult for me to get around now I'm in my dotage.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can still get around, just. My own sense of dotage however lets me honestly state that I simply can be arsed anymore... :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11649
    tFB Trader
    An MJW Goldstar perhaps or goldstar TT - think the starting price may well be in the right ball park for you

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1634
    An interesting thread as I have been wondering if I could live with a 10 watt amp? I probably can but I keep thinking - what if I need more???
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483

I think the thing to do is set up a little amp on top or near your normal amp and try it out. If it isn't loud enough at the gig or rehearsal plug back into your old larger amp and carry on. I was  \ fortunate enough to have a studio I could set mine up in and crank to gig volume so I knew straight away it would be fine for me. Most Muso's are creatures of habit, we tend to set our stuff up the same way and generally to a certain volume. 
    I don't tend to like glassy cleans so a tiny bit of breakup on the clean channel is nice for me, the kind where it's clean until you really dig in then it compresses  

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    How loudly can you play? Unless your bigger amps are just very slightly too loud, if they're too loud there's a fair chance 5 watts cranked up are too loud too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom