Old cassettes and vinyl...worthless?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
I'm cleaning house just now and found a box of old cassettes and LPs. Does anyone buy these nowadays, or should I take them directly to the skip?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27765
    Cassettes - worthless unless you find a very strange collector.

LPs - resurgent, so if they're in decent nick, you might be able to sell those.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23273

We have a 20 year old student working in our office at the moment who buys loads of old LPs.  I'm not saying he'd buy your stuff, but vinyl is definitely having a bit of a resurgence (and I can't believe how expensive the vinyl versions of new releases are!). 

Of course the question then is can you be bothered with all the hassle of listing it on eBay or wherever....

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    There are online record stores that will buy records and collect them.

Cassettes are popular with hipsters an are back in production .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22533522

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5045
    What tapes do you have?
    Old heavy metal tapes definitely have a market.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    Hipsters love vinyl!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Contact Grammar School Records in Rye, East Sussex [Google for details].  They sell second hand vinyl, DVDs and tapes and they might be interested in what you have.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    Thanks all. Will do some more investigating... Tapes are mainly rock, metal and blues, bought in the 80s and early 90s but covering the 60s onwards. Vinyl is Metallicas early albums, def Lep, dio, sabbath, janes and a few coloured vinyl . Picture disc singles and such.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Tapes might have a market if there is rare material on them. If it's just bog standard stuff that's readily available on then you'd probably struggle to give them away for free. The vinyl will almost certainly be sellable if it's rock & blues stuff.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    When I last moved 3 years ago I took 3 big boxes of cassettes to the tip - was like throwing away a big portion of my life
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    monofin said:
    When I last moved 3 years ago I took 3 big boxes of cassettes to the tip - was like throwing away a big portion of my life
    did the same, but most of them had gone off anyway. I am hanging on to my vinyls though, and continue to play them, just did so this afternoon

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2426
    Thanks all. Will do some more investigating... Tapes are mainly rock, metal and blues, bought in the 80s and early 90s but covering the 60s onwards. Vinyl is Metallicas early albums, def Lep, dio, sabbath, janes and a few coloured vinyl . Picture disc singles and such.
    I'd be interested in your vinyl. 
    edited March 2015
    Vinyl is pretty crap it turns out. Metallica kill em all and the 5.98 EP....anthrax spreading the disease...sabbath heaven and hell....Ten years after double best of album, onslaught, MSG picture disc single, anthrax Indians on orange vinyl, whitesnake here I go on white vinyl, thunder singles...status quo from the makers of box set, some interview discs (??) and...the piece de resistance...the Slim Whitman story! Some classic cassettes though, a pile of sub pop stuff, Trouble, masters of reality, loads of hair metal and a complete set of ac/dc albums!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    I'm interested in the Metallica, Anthrax, Sabbath and Onslaught vinyl!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5045
    Trouble?

Count me in!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    @Moe_Zambeek  When you say "Vinyl is pretty crap", are we talking about the condition?

If it's playable, I'll have second dibs on the stuff Bidley has mentioned... ?
    By crap I meant quantity and a value judgement of the bands :)

I'm sure it's playable because I rarely played them but I have no way to check.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23273
    Ooh, harsh value judgement!  I also have most of that stuff you mentioned (apart from Ten Years After and Slim Whitman!) and still like it now.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5576
    Sounds like my vinyl and tape collection!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2426
    Erm guys, don't I get first dibs for expressing my interest first?

@Moe_Zambeek, I get first dibs, right?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    form a q