Richard the 3rd Burial

What's Hot
xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
Just channel switching and this was on, anyone one else think its a complete load of shite? I mean a 500 year old skeleton having a prayer said by a priest asking God to welcome him into heaven?? only 5 centuries to late, Im sure the Pretend Magic man in the sky  has hardly quarantined Mr dead old king for 500 years.............."right they have said the prayer now go on pal your in"..............

Whos paying for this shite?

A load of pomp and circumstance, Humans are a bunch of bellends.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    That's organised religion for you, senseless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, but dude, what about his immortal soul man? ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24444
    +1

...and we are.  We always are.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    By all accounts, he wasn't a very savoury character. He may have been behind the Princes in the Tower murders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sassafras said:
    By all accounts, he wasn't a very savoury character. He may have been behind the Princes in the Tower murders.
    I think he was exonerated of that, according to a programme on the telly the other night
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Council had some budget to use up and combined this with an old skeleton they found in the town hall cellar. Budget is now spent and they get a 1% increase next year
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    edited March 2015
    Be fair, we haven't had to bury a king for a long time and people get bored easily these days :).

It's also possible he was the last truly legitimate English king of the line descended from William The Conqueror (assuming you count him as legitimate!), since his brother Edward IV was most likely illegitimate and Henry VII who succeeded him did so over his dead body… and all subsequent monarchs have been descended in some way from these two.

A lot of his historical reputation for villainy stems from Shakespeare, who was writing for Henry VII's granddaughter at the time so would not be likely to make him a noble hero...

Peter Cook played him quite well though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8760
    edited March 2015
    Forget religion. This is about history. Many other nations envy our historical record. Remember that some countries don't have much. Most US cities are younger not that old. Seattle was founded in 1910 ... and here's a king who was buried so long ago that his remains were lost under a car park.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    ^^ Agreed but Jeez its a bit of a Faff for a 500 year old dead bloke, 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8760
    If you've got it then flaunt it. Think how much you can get for a Stradivarius, and that's far younger. ... and before someone remarks about the cost, it will bring in far more in tourism.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Cant play a dead bloke tho...unless you wittle his bones into flutes and use the skull as a rudimental drum??
    He was a Royal after all and making a big song and dance of it is a deferential nod to our own beloved German Royal family.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I think it's good that he is being laid to rest properly.     Regardless of anyones views on religion and the monarchy - both of which are part of our heritage for want of a better way to phrase it, I quite like the idea of a respectful end to the story showing we can do the right thing.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7852
    it's only his 2nd burial, shirley ?

;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • few pics of the day from me here https://www.flickr.com/photos/strumstrum/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:

It's also possible he was the last truly legitimate English king of the line descended from William The Conqueror (assuming you count him as legitimate!)
    William The Bastard of Normandy was a bastard in every sense of the word. The Normans had no right to be here, and horribly oppressed the Saxons and the British. You can argue if you like that the Saxons had no right to be here either but at least their legal system and method of government were more akin to what we recognise today as fair and sensible.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Was it a full on Catholic burial rite?

Nothing else would make sense surely.

Should have buried him in York Minster IMO.
    ICBM said:
    It's also possible he was the last truly legitimate English king of the line descended from William The Conqueror (assuming you count him as legitimate!)
    William The Bastard of Normandy was a bastard in every sense of the word. The Normans had no right to be here, and horribly oppressed the Saxons and the British. You can argue if you like that the Saxons had no right to be here either but at least their legal system and method of government were more akin to what we recognise today as fair and sensible.
    That's very true, but there is evidence that he was Edward The Confessor's designated successor as he claimed, and that Harold Godwinson had sworn allegiance to him, even if possibly under some duress.

It's all a long time ago now though and I doubt it's completely provable either way…

It will be interesting to see if there's still a British Monarchy in 2066. I probably won't be around to find out, I'll be 99.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2015

It's at time likes that the glaring hole left by the News Of The World is all too clear.  Where's the headline "Crooked Child Killer Awarded State Funeral Shockl"

I did have a chuckle when someone on Channel 4 suggested that the Queen may have distanced herself from it as he was a usurper.  Fuck me is royalty worldwide not built on the grand tradition of usurping otherwise she'd probably be wandering around in some druid robes.  What bollocks.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I did have a chuckle when someone on Channel 4 suggested that the Queen may have distanced herself from it as he was a usurper.
    No, he wasn't the usurper - it's the other way round :).