I have failed...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Agree with much of the sentiments expressed here. 

I left my last band in December 2012 and my bass hasn't been out of the bag since. 

If I practice bass I always play with a drum machine or it's just not fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    For inspiration just get Mr Big playing on your iWhatever. Never mind inspiring you to pick up your bass it inspires me to go out and buy one. And I'm trying very hard to clear out some gear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Have you considered something that might seem a bit left-field, but could be much more interesting to play by itself?

A Fender (or Squier) Bass VI.

It's essentially a baritone guitar, but a full octave down so the lowest four strings are the same as a bass. You can play normal basslines on it (Jack Bruce did, in Cream), or deep twangy surfy/alt-country/Twin Peaks guitar-like chordal stuff. Or probably a lot more I haven't thought of yet.

The Squier one is under £300 *new* - and incredible for the money. I'm just setting up one for a friend at the moment, and possibly hoping he won't keep it very long :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    or you could try this (here's a clip of my favourite bass player)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    edited March 2015
    Simon I know what you mean, I've been bassing recently too and it's a very different experience for the home player.

I've done most of my playing either plugged in to a tablet via Sonicport to play along, or just unplugged or in to an amp with a phone or tablet based app playing a drum groove. The attraction of bass for me IS the groove, so some drums are pretty much a given. There are some decent apps available cheaply that'll give you that rhythmic context to groove with, either with or without chords. For a few quid, maybe give it a try?

If you need the SUB Stingray looking after while you decide just say ;-) I think you have the sister model to my SUB Sterling
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Thanks all, good suggestions I'm sure but I think going to go through with selling it anyway. I'll pick up another bass one day when space is less of an issue - at least then I won't mind so much if it's getting dusty!

Those technical players above do absolutely nothing for me btw - the closest I'd get to listening to any of that would be Flea or JPJ, otherwise I just like simple lines to drive a song. This is the track that's put the biggest smile on my face so far;

@Timmyo - nice try! I'll trade it for monies though :D
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    In the meantime check out this guy's channel - top groove 

Red ones are better. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    Nowadays I play alone (everyone "grew up" pah..)  and bass playing took a back step, until I threw £70 at a NUX Loop-Core (Boss RC3 clone?), threw some good drum loops in it via usb, it comes with d-loops , but barely useable, and I'm happy as a pig in shit thumping along then overdubbing with 6 string,  worth a shot?
  • You could always use backing tracks,to work on "feel" and timing. one day you could be John Deacon and the next Jaco.
  • I miss this bass. :'(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah man I remember this bass.

I was in London at the time of it being listed, I was busy with family stuff otherwise if I had the time I wanted to come and check it out.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I miss this bass. :'(
    Oh FFS ! ;-)
  • Wisdom duly awarded.

I suspect the Helix may prompt me to "justify" another bass in the coming months; it'd be rude to have those lovely bass amp models going to waste. ;)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272

Wisdom duly awarded.

I suspect the Helix may prompt me to "justify" another bass in the coming months; it'd be rude to have those lovely bass amp models going to waste. ;)

I approve of this thinking.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238

I dont play bass between rehearsals. When I started (1980) I played every day. When I bought a fretless 1997 I played every day. When I got an NXT I played every day.

It's worth practicing technique and it's worth playing with people ( a lot-in 2004 I was in 4 bands and played 5 days a week). But playing bass on my own for 'fun'. Nope.