NRD.. - Take 2

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited October 2013 in Amps
New Rig Day..

Parted company with my AxeFx II rig this afternoon and replaced it with this..

Aldo got a few extras with the deal, including a rack and tray or pedals:

It's a 7 day trial for us both after which we'll decide if we want to keep the trade or not.

Liking it so far..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Honestly mate, with everything you've been through and how I *think* you approach gear, I reckon this is going to be the best approach for you.

Good luck with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Delicious!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Congrats! Just hope the other party doesn't change his mind ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    What does NRG actually stand for? :) And how much did you sell the axe for?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Indeed.. you never know I might not like it and want my AxeFX back :) 
    viz said:
    What does NRG actually stand for? :) And how much did you sell the axe for?
    I didn't we worked out a straight trade..
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    :) ok cool.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited October 2013
    There were some other bits and bobs on top of what you can see... Pedal Train 2, Voodoo PP2, Ground Control Midi Amp switcher and a load of George-L cables and ends. Plus the 4u rack, shelf and bits and bobs (all of which I'll likely sell)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Liking the GEQ setting on the Mk. Possibly needs a little more 1 & 5 and a tiny bit less 2 & 4 :).

No really! I know everyone says you need to push the mids and avoid too much of a scooped sound, but the classic Mesa 'deep V' sounds HUGE.

I'd ditch the Boss Phaser too - at least if it's in the FX loop. The loops on most Mesas don't like digital effects, often - not because there's anything wrong with digital effects but because the way the wet/dry mix on the amp works is too crude and causes a problem with any latency in the pedal. I had to mod the loop on a couple of the ones I had to fix that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2013
    and WAY more 3!!!

Isn't the loop in the Mark V a series loop?
  • What's the furry thing on top? :-)

Hope you enjoy the new toy!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited October 2013
    octatonic said:
    and WAY more 3!!!
    No, *less* 3 :D.

For home use, anyway... for gigs I generally used a shallow V with 3 only just below the middle and the other four where they are in the pic.

octatonic said:
    You might be right, in which case scrub that... although the PH-3 is still shit ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Those settings are how I received it, not had time to tweak it yet. The Phase Shifter will probably go in the classifieds and I'll use my MXR VH Phase 90 instead (or maybe put it on my backup board). 
    octatonic said:
    and WAY more 3!!!

Yea It's series. Never liked parallel loops.

ICBM said:
    although the PH-3 is still shit ;).
    No argument with that! :)
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited October 2013
    MKV is on my list of kit to try. I am worried that I might like it though. Hope it works out.

Loving the Channel 1 tweed setting, gives a great crunchy tone..  still experimenting with the others. 

The footswitch is a bit massive!! might have to re-think that and maybe keep it off the pedal board.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hhmmm, very nice. Gives me a bigger hard on than that computer shit you had ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Si_ said:
    Loving the Channel 1 tweed setting, gives a great crunchy tone..  still experimenting with the others. 

The footswitch is a bit massive!! might have to re-think that and maybe keep it off the pedal board.
    RJM midi adapter!
    I've got a Ground Control switcher, came with it... but haven't got a mini pedal anymore :(

Typically I've spent all day trying to arrange pedals on my pedal board and still not happy with it :) 
    edited October 2013
    Si_ said:
    I've got a Ground Control switcher, came with it... but haven't got a mini pedal anymore :(

Typically I've spent all day trying to arrange pedals on my pedal board and still not happy with it :) 
    If you have a GCX then you can just keep them in the rack and use an RJM midi adapter to do all the Mark V switching via the Ground Control.
    I forget the exact name, but it is something like Amp Ghizmo- you need a specific harness for the Mark V.

Edit: Ah, you have the GCX but no Ground Control.
    Get another MFC- they are the best midi controller available.

I predict 2 weeks from now you'll be pissed off with the tap dance. ;)