• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Who knows....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can we place bets?

My top 3

- Digital rig take 2? - Kemper Power Rack

- Real Marshall + midi switching rig? - JVM Satriani + GT100

- Si keeps the change option?  - Blackstar ID TVP100 

In all seriousness I am genuinely interested to see what you pick.  Between trying an Axe FX and a Mark V you're already at the very high end of rigs.  I hope you find something that works for you.
    edited October 2013
    Well.. I've had a JVM before and didn't like it.. and I've still got my Jubilee so I have my Marshall fix. Ive never had a Bogner.. would love a Friedman but there impossible to get in the UK. I think I'm through with digital things after spending so long with the axeFx (Standard, ultra and a II). Still fancy a Mark V as I didn't really get a chance to mess with the one I had (only had it 24 hours), always fancied a Soldano...

Any other suggestions welcome.

• How about

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/evh_5150_iii_hd_100w_tube_amplifier_head_2nd_hand.asp

I tried one with a matching cab and it was really easy to dial in and covered plenty of ground as far as rock music is concerned.
    Certainly an option, I've heard loads of people rave about them..
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited October 2013
    It depends what you want and need.

Personally I actually think they're over hyped at the minute because they won't work for everyone, but they are still very good and on par with Mesa stuff for their core tone if you can qualify such a statement.  If you want to plug and play and get some great rock tones they really fit the bill through the stock cab.  No idea what they're like through other cabs, but I've heard of many people using them with Mesa 4x12s and being happy.  I prefer a Rectifier still because I reckon they've got more tones in them and the general voicing is more my thing, but then again they're more complex to work with and you definitely need a boost for tighter tones - the 5150 iii does not IMO, providing you've got a decent pick attack.

Having done a lot of tone searching myself I'd be inclined to consider cab purchase in to your ideal rig.  I got a Rectifier 4x12 straight cab in recent months and suddenly my Roadster head made a lot more sense.  I had a Blackstar S1 4x12 straight and on paper it is a very similar cab - OS V30 cab with good quality construction.  Tonally they were miles apart.  The Blackstar was brighter and had more fizz - not necessarily bad fizz but in an A/B it is noticeable and I don't think it worked fantastically well with the Mesa head.  The Mesa cab is darker and much clearer - it is like turning the gain down without turning the gain down, if you get what I mean.  The tone is just as distorted/crunchy but you hear more of the note.  It sounds more mean and heavy whereas the Blackstar cab reminded me more of a Marshall cab that got a bit beefier.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one that thinks that there's something wrong if you can't get at least *something* usable out of a piece of gear straight away - even if it's not the sound you were looking for?

No.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Seriously, the Kemper is a whole different beast to the Axe FX. It is way easier to use and sounds great out the box. If you don't like an amp, no kerfuffle with sag controls and tweaking the bias or changing tone-stacks... just grab another profile from the online community or spend some cash on the Amp Factory bundles.

I had one and really liked it. But couldn't really justify it. Even now though I wish I'd just kept it and jumped through the mental hurdles required of me to own a £1300 Marshall amp and a £1300 modeller!! :))

If I hadn't have gotten my Marshall, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be using a Kemper through a Matrix poweramp into a guitar cab right now.
    NRD, Take 2

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, whats changed?
  • Hey Si,

Nice one - new rig looks great.
    Hopefully thats you settled now.

Rock-on,
    Graeme.
    I hope so..

Jetfire said:
    So, whats changed?
    First rig went back after the deal fell through, this is a different rig (although the same make and model).
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ahh I seee! How is it this time?
    Sweet.. really impressed with the Mark V so far..