Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon Big Sky reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• Yikes that demo is brilliant! Andy is class, the bigsky looks amazing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2013
    Y'know... all these ambient reverbs sound EXACTLY THE SAME.

No I am not being sarcastic or flippant. They really do all sound exactly the same. And people all use them in exactly the same way.

Gear is really making me snore recently. They need to focus on workflow and ergonomics instead of algorithms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Wait, why the fuck was this not named the skyline?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Drew_fx said:

No I am not being sarcastic or flippant. They really do all sound exactly the same. And people all use them in exactly the same way.

The same could be said for drive/distortion/wah/delay/chorus etc etc etc

edited October 2013
    Drew_fx said:

Agree.

As I said, I would rather companies focused on live performance workflow and visual ergonomics than yet another shimmer algorithm.

As some of the previous DL4/M series versus Timeline videos have shown, there really isn't all that much in it. I reckon the same is true if you put a Hardwire Supernatural next to this Big Sky pedal.

People need to listen with their ears and not their eyes or their fanboi cards.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:

Agree.

As I said, I would rather companies focused on live performance workflow and visual ergonomics than yet another shimmer algorithm.

As some of the previous DL4/M series versus Timeline videos have shown, there really isn't all that much in it. I reckon the same is true if you put a Hardwire Supernatural next to this Big Sky pedal.

I'm with you as far as sounds @Drew_fx but I think the feature that would sell me on these (if I had a squillion pounds) probably would be workflow and live performance, so I could use something like this:

I'm terrible at tap-dancing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Would cost more than my amp!! :))

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Would cost more than my amp!! :))

(if I had a squillion pounds)

;)
    Indeed!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Bron_Yr_Aur;64365" said:
    Drew_fx said:

not_the_dj said:

Drew_fx said:

Agree.

I'm with you as far as sounds @Drew_fx but I think the feature that would sell me on these (if I had a squillion pounds) probably would be workflow and live performance, so I could use something like this:

I'm terrible at tap-dancing...
    When will they develop something that can select multiple fx on the möbius simultaneously? I'm sure it can be done via the midi control
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I'm just waiting for a boutique guy to come up with a distortion/drive pedal that sounds like the Beatles 'birthday' song. I have a very real use for that sound in one of my heavier ideas, but I have no idea how on earth you get it...
  • I have had a few 'ambient reverbs' and they don't all sound EXACTLY same, thats a ridiculous thing to say. 

A line 6 shimmer reverb sounds nothing like a RV-5 and neither of them sound like a 'black hole setting' on a space. 

The 'octoverb' setting on a line 6 M series pedals and the verbzilla sounds harsh and has way too much top end and not enough control but the 'shimmer' setting on a strymon blue sky sounds great! It sits much better in a mix and there is a lot more options of control. 

If they all sounded the same why don't we all just sell our expensive pedals and get a joyo and mooer pedal boards, have a 'great'* sound and put the people who work hard out of work.

I understand that these pedals are expensive but they are totally worth the money and if you cant afford them there are cheaper alternatives that don't necessarily sounds quite as good but they can get the desired effect to a degree. 

A lot of pedals do a similar thing but some do it better than other, hense why you pay a premium for it. If you were buying a car and have the choice between a fiat and a maserati they would both get you from a-b but the maserati would do it a lot better than a fiat. The same can be said about most pedals. 

I would certainly have a big sky if i could afford one but i can't so i will stick with what i have got, that doesnt mean i can't appreciate what is good about them and how they do what my pedals do but better. 

But thats my opinion. 

*sarcasm added

(start the online stoning) 
    edited October 2013
    My point had nothing to do with their expense - I don't care how expensive something is. If it does what I want, I buy it. But between a Zoom MS70CDR, a Line 6 M-9, an Eventide SPACE, a Hardwire Supernatural, or a Strymon Timeline or Big Sky.... I really don't think the differences are that drastic. High end can be tamed with the tone controls.

That's my view based on sound clips, reviews, personal experience, and some knowledge of DSP. Take it for what it is worth - which is exactly nothing, coz it is just an opinion, however ridiculous you think it is.

RE: the word 'exactly' ... if you can't tell flippancy from a serious comment, then I think perhaps communication isn't for you.
    sarcasm added*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    edited October 2013
    I like you drew, you're alright.

Maybe internally they are similar, I wouldn't have a clue how to put one together! but from using different pedals and having pals who use more higher end stuff than me I can hear a great deal of difference between them so there must be something in it?

Anyway I'm sure it's all opinion based and arguing over the internet about it is never going to get me (or you) anywhere. I like what I like and you like what you like.

After all it is only a guitar pedal....

*no sarcasm added this time
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Short and sweet - nice pedal.
    I like you drew, you're alright.

Maybe internally they are similar, I wouldn't have a clue how to put one together! but from using different pedals and having pals who use more higher end stuff than me I can hear a great deal of difference between them so there must be something in it?

Anyway I'm sure it's all opinion based and arguing over the internet about it is never going to get me (or you) anywhere. I like what I like and you like what you like.

After all it is only a guitar pedal....

*no sarcasm added this time
    :)
  • I guess thinking about it some more these kind of pedals are of better use to some than others, for example if you play in a slayer tribute band the chances are you will invest in a great sounding distortion pedal and maybe a bit of amp reverb if your taste requires it. If you played in a band like explosions in the sky or this will destroy you the foundation of your tone is based on big ambient reverbs and delays, therefore something like a Big Sky would be much more appealing because of what you can do with it. 

Another thing why some people might not be into this kind of pedal is playing style, Like i said earlier if you play ing a thrash metal band the chances the way you play won't compliment a big reverby sound. And likewise if you play in a more chilled out kind of band the chances are a big metal distortion wont sound great with the way you play. 

Its all subjective really. 

I really want one! 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    At least £429 is easier to hide in a pedal purchase than a guitar I guess.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_fx said:
    My point had nothing to do with their expense - I don't care how expensive something is. If it does what I want, I buy it. But between a Zoom MS70CDR, a Line 6 M-9, an Eventide SPACE, a Hardwire Supernatural, or a Strymon Timeline or Big Sky.... I really don't think the differences are that drastic. High end can be tamed with the tone controls.

That's my view based on sound clips, reviews, personal experience, and some knowledge of DSP. Take it for what it is worth - which is exactly nothing, coz it is just an opinion, however ridiculous you think it is.

RE: the word 'exactly' ... if you can't tell flippancy from a serious comment, then I think perhaps communication isn't for you.
    @Drew_fx There's a reason Strymon and LIne 6 gear sounds similar .. the guys who started Strymon were all senior developers at Line 6.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!