Music you "get" but don't particularly like (Neil Young in this case)

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9880
So I was recommended to listen to Neil Young's Weld album because apparently some of my playing (or at least the fuzz I was playing through!) sounded a little bit like his style. I'd never listened to him (tell a lie, I think I listened to Harvest Moon when I was at 6th form once...) so thought worth seeing what the fuss was about. It was one of those weird cases where you feel like you "get it", that you can appreciate it, but you just don't actually like the songs themselves. Do you know what I mean?

I listen to a few sort of fuzzy garage rocky type bands and I can hear a lot of what they do was probably inspired one way or aonther by that kind of thing, a lot of the rhythms are quite similar etc and the guitar tone is something I will give considerable thought to with my GAS hat on. Totally appreciate the direction they were attacking the music from, and the raucous scratchy guitar tone is beautifully put together. But I can'y honestly say I'd listen to a single one of the songs again apart from to get some tips on guitar tone tc, as they just didn't do it for me.

Good points (From my taste's point of view):
The wonderful fuzzy "amp about to explode" scratchy guitar sounds were awesome - that's what I love with White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc etc and to hear another version of that is wonderful
A lot of the rhythms and textures seem to have been taken on by a lot of the bands I do like, whether this was conscious or not I'm not sure (as the artists don't ever seem to list him as an influence, but he must be)
More about the vocals below, but what I did like is that it reminded me of the singer from Two Star Tabernacle/Blanche (Dan Miller I think his name is?) which is a style I like on recordings, so was great to hear where that kind of thing came from.

Bad Points (from my taste's point of view)
Songs weren't my thing musically
Drums sounded horrible, I think the stuff I listen to has drums in a specific spot in the mix rather than the very spread out type drum sounds. This kind of thing always turns me off in live recordings.
Tunes weren't that...tuneful. I am hugely into White Stripes and bands like that, and know they aren't always that tuneful, but to me it feels like a difference betweeen somebody who can't quite sing the notes he wants to one who is deliberately singing a tune that has no actual tune to it, if you know what I mean? Young sounds too much of a struggle to me.
Songs seemed to go on a bit, I like the short attacks of songs, smack bang in your face and then gone.
Harmony singers sounded better than the lead vocals, that always bugs me a bit as it feels as though by having harmonies in they are trying to imply a certain vocal quality that doesn't frankly befit his voice.

The negatives above I know make me soud all moany and picky I know, but just one of those weird scenarios where you totally respect what the band are doing musically, and it's so close to being what I like, but I just can't like the music.

Anybody else have similar?
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If you struggle with Weld, then you really need to get Arc. 30 minutes of completely pointless noise. Any time they're in any danger of finding a tune they edit it to jump to some more noise. :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9880
    Well I might like that actually, as I didn't like the songs :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited April 2015
    Jeff Buckley (ducks in readiness....)

In truth - I don't 'get' it either....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh I actually love Jeff Buckley, but yes I imagine he too would be the same kind of thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

I'm with you there. I heard Dolphins and really liked it, then bought a compilation, and there isn't a single thing on it that I can stand. I still like Dolphins though! Must be a complete philistine. :)
    To be fair Buckley was very self indulgent and was quite overblown in a lot of ways, very "assured" of his own musicality I guess which would put people off if they can't get past the pretentiousness!

I love Grace as an album but the Sine live album is what I listen to the most. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I sort of feel the same about Neil Young, although I DO like several of his songs, but generally it's not quite "there" for me.

edited April 2015
    Oh and while I'm in a controversial frame of mind, here comes another admission - Led Zeppelin....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh wow
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Probably loads, although an obvious big name band would be the Rolling Stones. All those blues and RnB influences, those churning telecasters, that tight but loose approach ticking a lot of my boxes, but...I don't hate them, don't find them objectional even, but they don't quite work for me either.

Mr Young I do like in parts but I probably don't 'get' more songs than I do.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    @thecolourbox try Harvest and After The Gold Rush by Mr Young if you want to hear his finest songs.
    Oh yeah Rolling Stones are the same for me too, that said I'm taking my old man to see a tribute act of theirs at the Robin next week, maybe that might help. I find they have too much going on most the time for me, prefer the straight forward rockers for that kind of thing
    I shall have a gander, thanks. I was intrigued by Weld because of the suggestion that the stuff I like to play sounded a bit in that vein! Isn't harvest a bit gentler?
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Live - I like their musicality but I just can't get past Ed Kowalczyk's voice. Like Billy Corgan but more grating...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I 'get' Jake Thakrays music.....like his lyrics too. So why have I posted on this thread?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    mart said:

I'm with you there. I heard Dolphins and really liked it, then bought a compilation, and there isn't a single thing on it that I can stand. I still like Dolphins though! Must be a complete philistine. :)

Dolphins is by Tim Buckley (Jeff's Dad).
    And to complete the trilogy - Radiohead....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    chrisv said:
    @thecolourbox try Harvest and After The Gold Rush by Mr Young if you want to hear his finest songs.
    Harvest is a good album,.

He's a good songwriter, and a tolerable acoustic guitar player.

He's also a mediocre singer, and a dreadful electric guitar player.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Horses for courses... He's one of my absolute favourite electric guitar players.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I used to listen to Weld a lot when it came out. 

I don't really like much of it now because I err on your side regarding his songs, but I still like Cinnamon Girl, F%$*in Up, and above all Love to Burn. 

In that last song in particular I hear a lot of Hank marvin in his playing. 

No sniggering at the back there...you know I'm right.