Music you "get" but don't particularly like (Neil Young in this case)

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Y'know those girl next door playing acoustic guitar type acts??? Yeah.... I get it. I don't like it. I include Ed Sheeran in this category.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    Jeff Buckley (ducks in readiness....)

In truth - I don't 'get' it either....
    I'm with you there. I heard Dolphins and really liked it, then bought a compilation, and there isn't a single thing on it that I can stand. I still like Dolphins though! Must be a complete philistine. :)

Dolphins is by Tim Buckley (Jeff's Dad).
    Oops. I'm a muppet. :) All my comments are about Tim. I don't think I've really heard Jeff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Drew_fx said:
    Y'know those girl next door playing acoustic guitar type acts??? Yeah.... I get it. I don't like it. I include Ed Sheeran in this category.

Agreed completely. I kinda see that as guitarists we should be grateful for Ed Sheeran raising the profile of the instrument but ... oh boy, please can I never have to listen to him or see his smug face ever again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7324
    Periphery
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9963
    Drew_fx;593796" said:
    Agreed. I went to a fund raiser the other week where a "girl next door" type performed an Ed Sheeran cover. I did check in case four horsemen were flying past or towering flames may be encroaching and about to consume me, but no such luck
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16036

I "get" Dylan I "don't" "get" "the rolling stones..." "sometimes" I "get" "van Morrison" and "then" gain sometimes "I" don't"

my "wife" "does not get "the" beatles

tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16036
    " :) "
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I may be hung for saying it, but it's SRV for me - I can see exactly why he's popular, and can appreciate him for his place in musical history.

Can't stand his tone, his phrasing or his singing, personally.  I just find it all very grating and whiny for some reason.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23501
    Van Morrison.

Lots of people seem to love him and several of his early songs seem to be regarded as all-time classics.  But I find him absolutely unbearable.

OK, to be honest I neither "get" him nor like him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23501
    OK, now I'm going to generalise.

Absolutely everything which is ever featured on Later.... with Jools Holland.

Yes, it's obviously "better" than your general throwaway chart fodder, I can see that.  But it's all so fucking smug, right-on and boring.

Fuzzdog said:
    I may be hung for saying it, but it's SRV for me - I can see exactly why he's popular, and can appreciate him for his place in musical history.

Can't stand his tone, his phrasing or his singing, personally.  I just find it all very grating and whiny for some reason.
    That's most of that era's guitarists for me, tbh.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    To be fair Buckley was very self indulgent and was quite overblown in a lot of ways, very "assured" of his own musicality I guess which would put people off if they can't get past the pretentiousness!

I love Grace as an album but the Sine live album is what I listen to the most. 
    there are 2 types of music. Good and bad. I dont get how you can read all this other jazz from it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3065
    To be fair Buckley was very self indulgent and was quite overblown in a lot of ways, very "assured" of his own musicality I guess which would put people off if they can't get past the pretentiousness!

I love Grace as an album but the Sine live album is what I listen to the most. 
    there are 2 types of music. Music you like and music you don't like. I dont get how you can read all this other jazz from it
    Fixed that for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3065
    Drew_fx said:
    Fuzzdog said:

Such as?

@Fuzzdog - do you like blues rock?

R.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited April 2015
    robinbowes said: @Fuzzdog - do you like blues rock?

I love the blues, I love rock, and I love blues rock - I
    should absolutely love SRV, I just don't. :D  He just somehow makes a Strat sound exactly the opposite of how I like a Strat to sound.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Drew_fx said:
    Fuzzdog said:

Such as?

@Fuzzdog - do you like blues rock?

R.
    If we're talking 70's and 80s, I don't particular like Clapton, SRV, EVH, or any of the hair metal guys really. I like Jimmy Page and The Edge.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72909
    edited April 2015
    Squeeze.

I just bought their greatest hits album. I understand why they're supposed to be such great songwriters, all the 'perfectly crafted pop' stuff, musicians playing for the song and all that, and you'd probably think I'd love them. I always liked Up The Junction so I thought I would enjoy getting to know more of their catalogue.

I absolutely hate every track except Up The Junction, and possibly Another Nail In My Heart. The rest are all unbearably trite and annoying - many of them are songs I've always detested but had somehow blanked out were by Squeeze. I'd forgotten just how crass Cool For Cats is, too.

Back to the charity shop with that one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5101
    I don't like U2 much but the early years has some great guitar in it.
    I like a lot of blues rock but not all that fussed about SRV. I prefer it to be more rock than blues.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27521
    I completely get the Rolling Stones but don't like any of their albums except the Best Ofs. Exile is not bad, but still a bit dull all the way through.

I also don't really like Neil Young, despite wanting to. I LOVE Hey Hey, My My and Cinnamon Girl and the rest is meh. 

I do like Jeff Buckley, but much more Sin-é than Grace. I reckon his 4th album would've been great had he got there...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    mart said:

I'm with you there. I heard Dolphins and really liked it, then bought a compilation, and there isn't a single thing on it that I can stand. I still like Dolphins though! Must be a complete philistine. :)

mart said:

mart said:
    mart said:

Dolphins is by Tim Buckley (Jeff's Dad).
    Oops. I'm a muppet. :) All my comments are about Tim. I don't think I've really heard Jeff.
    Jeff isnt in the same class as Tim.
    Like Julian/John