FX pedals...

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
edited April 2015 in FX
Last night I thought I'd sort out all the pedals I am not using, managed to scrape together enough power and patch leads, dug out my old plank of wood and some velcro and assembled a "didn't make it on to my board", board.

Damn thing sounds better and was more fun than my "proper" board :(

It's also smaller, lighter and offers more weirdness.. it also cost roughly a 1/4 of the price...

some things it has shown me... 

patch leads quality doesn't matter so long as they thing works. these are the cheapest nastiest patch leads money can buy. I hear no tone suck, buzzing  or other issues, except that leads aren't cut to length.. so lock a bit messy and the plugs aren't as compact.

sometimes simple 1 knob, 1 function pedals are better.

the EHX Bass big muff is a cracking fuzz, on guitar :)

Boutique pedals probably aren't worth the money...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Pictures or nobody will believe you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    Heresey! You could banned from these parts for voicing such wicked thoughts!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    Pics later then and appointment booked with the high priestess of noise... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I dunno,

I've got several themed pedal boards and diy combo pedals:

Band-board: Old Jen Wah, 69 fuzz, Analogman bicomp, Voodoovibe, Eventide Time Factor. on and around a PT2 (wants a PT Metro 24)
    Poshboard: Timmy, Analogman BiChorus, Fulltone Choral Flange, Skreddy Echo - PT2
    GrungeBoard: Battered Jen Wah, Battered Route 66, Grey box Arion, Battered EHX Small Clone - Ikea shelf.
    Nano Board: Bearhug Compressor, PiggyFX Tonebender, "Zendinki",Rowin Chorus, HOF mini - currently on a floorboard.
    Looper/MIDI board: Linn Addrenalinn 3, Line6 M5, EHX 2880, FCB1010 - on a heavy music stand.
    Rudy - DIY Klon Buffer, DIY Lovesqueeze, DIY Timmy/Janray, Rehoused Visual Sound H2O - 1550GG Hammond enclosure.
    DIY Board - Orange Squeezer, Umble, Pork Barrel (CE2) on a plywood scrap
    Saboo (Work in Progress) - Clyde Style Wah, Klon Buffer, Ross Compressor with a blend control, Ge Fuzz Face toggled with Si Fuzz Face, Octaver, Voodoovibe Clone*, Madbean Zero Point Micro 2 with tails* - housed in a filled and redrilled Boss ME50 box.

Ironically the most versatile boards are the Looper and the Band board - the secret is in the presets... having learnt the hard way trying to use an EHX SMMwH live during a jam... :)

Give my regards to the high-priestess, I shall be seeing her on Monday :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    I tend to keep more than one pedal on my board for old times sake .. do i really use it? probably not .. well i have band camp tonight and i'm going to be ruthless and strip off everything that is not helping ... i'll keep the ones i don't use (probably) in a cupboard but it is time to get unsentimental about this and do the right thing
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    I dont own a single pedal that isnt on my board.... which is how I avoid this kind of dilemma :D
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:
    I dont own a single pedal that isnt on my board.... which is how I avoid this kind of dilemma :D
    Yes and your board needs it's own van from the pics I've seen :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:
    That's because your board is the size of South Africa
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    GavHaus said:
    thats because your board is so big it has its own gravitational pull...you and your amp just orbit around it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was waiting for that! I mean I could scale down.... it's even crossed my mind for a second or two...but to be honest, I'd only really be willing to shed about 2 more, so it's not really worth it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:
    I was waiting for that! I mean I could scale down.... it's even crossed my mind for a second or two...but to be honest, I'd only really be willing to shed about 2 more, so it's not really worth it.
    And besides, temptation is always lurking just around the corner...
    GavHaus's pedal board is so big ............ it needs a troop of morris dancers just to kick the overdrive in
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

that's pretty much manifesting itself in a PT Grande for me....

It's funny, I dont get trigger finger over guitars really anymore.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I dont get trigger finger on guitars. 
    I tend to buckle on pedals.
    Amps I am usually rock steady but I have bought 2 in 6 months now :-(

but back on topic I think anything works. I agree on patch cables, if there is a difference I cannot hear it. 
    I still buy the "better" cables though as they seem to be more robust. I have had a few of those stagg things die on me. 

As for pedals, one of my most depenable pedals cost £35 and its irreplaceable. 
    I am going to upset @GavHaus and suggest that the M5 I just bought pretty much matches my empress superdelay in terms of quality and sound... 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    DesVegas said:
    GavHaus's pedal board is so big ............
    it needs a specially cooled power supply...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think you mean power station @frankus
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited April 2015

DesVegas said:
    the bypass looper labels are postcodes ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    DesVegas said:
    His Drive pedals are in a different time zone to his delays
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

DesVegas said:
    some of the pedals are not true bypass.
    DesVegas said:
    Even the guys out of Kiss think it's somewhat over the top.