Which slide players inspire you the most?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9707
    Hound Dog Taylor.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've mentioned him on a few slide threads ...Johnny Dickinson
    I've played with him in a couple of bands over the years and he has definitely influenced my style ....lindley,landreth,randolph,trucks,cooder and the big wreck guy have all helped (especially Lindley ...) but none more than JD
    He's recovered from serious illness recently and is playing a few gigs here and there ...if you get a chance to see him ...grab it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Controversial - I don't really like slide guitar! 

Having said that, I have seen Eric Sardinas live twice as support for Vai and he was pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    darcym said:
    as someone who can't play good slide, but loves it when it's done well, you'll be hard placed to find someone who can do it better than Robbie McIntosh, not only a great slide player, but he knows how to write the slide parts, some so subtle you don't know they are there, others so in your face and attention grabbing its untrue.
    /\ totally agree with this brilliant slide player...daughters intro was sublime as is this in apub on the south coast

• In no particular order...

Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Mick Taylor, Stefan Grossman, Duane Allman, Elmore James and Tampa Red

• First one that really caught my imagination was Jeremy Spencer's work with Fleetwood Mac, between him and Rory Gallagher and later on, Duane Allman they inspired me to try and learn slide.

• I always thought Mick Taylor was a beautiful slide player during his years with The Stones
  • HAL9000 said:
    Hound Dog Taylor.
    Have a wisdom for that one. We do Give Me Back My Wig in my band, I do like the Hound Dog :)