Red Dwarf is coming back! Oh, and Kate had a girl!

What's Hot
Just announced, two more Red Dwarf series with original cast(gonna need some serious make up, it's been a few years).  and Kate had a baby girl a few hours ago!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Great news!

About Red Dwarf I mean, sick to death of royal baby nonsense
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Red dwarf will undoubtedly be shite. Why not just leave it where it belongs? The first run of them were amazing. The comeback ones less so.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24451
    Oh god... it's going to be shit.  Series 7 (or whatever the last one was) was utter shite - just not funny.  They should leave it alone.  It was fabulous in its day, but unless they have the original writers, on form, it's just going to ruin the memories.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10342
    I thought the first baby was better than the second.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2015
    The thing about red dwarf is that the writing duo rob grant and doug naylor did the first 6 or so series, and wrote two books, and then split up with each writing their own separate conclusion to the book trilogy and and doug naylor taking the helm of the TV series.

If you read each authors seperate books it becomes apparent what their strengths were and why the series started floundering at that point of Grants departure. Grants was the smart, cynical one and his book loves to torture the characters a bit. Naylor on the other hand has a lot of ideas and a taste for sappy stuff but no restraint and tends to throw in lots of bullshit that dosent work.

Bringing back kochanski for example in the series for example, is something grant probably wouldnt have done if he was there to say no because his sense of humour would find it way funnier if the ship was just a bunch of eternally frustrated dudes. But Naylor goes ahead and writes her in and shes an awful character because he doesent know what to do with her other than make her the teams token woman member and do period jokes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hugbot said:
    The thing about red dwarf is that the writing duo rob grant and doug naylor did the first 6 or so series, and wrote two books, and then split up with each writing their own separate conclusion to the book trilogy and and doug naylor taking the helm of the TV series.

If you read each authors seperate books it becomes apparent what their strengths were and why the series started floundering at that point of Grants departure. Grants was the smart, cynical one and his book loves to torture the characters a bit. Naylor on the other hand has a lot of ideas and a taste for sappy stuff but no restraint and tends to throw in lots of bullshit that dosent work.

Bringing back kochanski for example in the series for example, is something grant probably wouldnt have done if he was there to say no because his sense of humour would find it way funnier if the ship was just a bunch of eternally frustrated dudes. But Naylor goes ahead and writes her in and shes an awful character because he doesent know what to do with her other than make her the teams token woman member and do period jokes.
    Completely agree. I loved the first two books (co-written by both of them), but the third ('Last Human' by Naylor) was a real dip. Then 'Backwards' by Grant came out (without Kochanski as you said) and was excellent. Real shame.

Still love it though
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I quite liked the one they did a couple of years ago.  Not consistently as good as the best of the originals but it was still a lot better than most of the other rubbish on TV these days.

There were some scenes that were really good, and others that were weaker.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I shall reserve judgement as to whether it's any good until I see the new Red Dwarf series.

Is someone having a baby, or something?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Kate's given birth to a red dwarf?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kate who?

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    I thought she was called Kristine Kochanski ?!?!
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    The only thing that took my interest in the royal baby malarkey was the aerial shots following them back to the house on the prairie was the trees were in full leaf, bloody bare branches up here in't North.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Wisdom for hugbot. The Grant Naylor writing team were superb, when one left the show was pants.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Do we know who is going to be writing the new ones?
    Adam_MD said:
    Do we know who is going to be writing the new ones?
    I would guess that it's Naylor + various guest writers again. If Grant came back it would be epic
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Whose baby, and have the CSA been informed ?

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    edited May 2015
    Hope they put red dwarf on beeb 2 and not one of the commercial satellite/freeview channels, with waiting 5 minutes for the next half.

Hope they have Chloe Annett as Kochanski.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    seany65 said:
    Hope they put red dwarf on beeb 2 and not one of the commercial satellite/freeview channels, with waiting 5 minutes for the next half.

Hope they have Chloe Annett as Kochanski.
    I hope there is no Kochanski, she was an awful character in the later seasons
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I hope that Kryton is every bit as sarcastic as he used to be.

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I loved Red Dwarf up to series 6.  The series with Kochanski were okay but she was annoying as hell (still fancied Chloe Annett though) and the rest of the crew had just turned into horrible parodies of themselves.  The specials and mini series 9 were awful and I've still not seen the series the did for Dave (Red Dwarf X?) but from what I've read it was worse than anything that had preceded it.

I might catch up on it all and watch the new series but I'm really not sure I can muster any enthusiasm for it any more.