Endorsements ... do you care?

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10435
    tFB Trader

From a young players perspective (22 - but still a kid inside) I would say the vintage ads don't appeal to me.
    I'm in my mid-50s and same here on both counts.

But then the guitars don't really appeal either. Doing twists on classic designs just unbalances the whole thing. I realise why it's done of course but they end up looking awkward, like the Japanese cars of the 1970s (Datsun 240Z excepted).
    I was disappointed by the Vintage Flying V on that count ... ugly heastock ... strange pregnant 'bump' for idiots who don't know how to play one sitting down. Took the idea and made a nasty Stagg copy look prettier.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To answer the OP: Only if I were in the market for the product that my 'hero' endorsed. EG I love Ritchie Blackmore's playing but that doesn't make me want a Strat with a missing middle pickup and a scalloped fingerboard. On the other hand when the opportunity for an SA2200 came up I remembered that John Etheridge (whom I very much respect) has an SA I figured that as a working guitarist he would play a quality instrument so that gave me confidence that the SA was worth investigating. Still I didn't buy it just because JE had one, I bought it because it was a damn good instrument and it happened to suit what I wanted to do with it. Actually I suspect that RB or JE have never "endorsed" their instruments but if they had my reactions would I think be the same.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    In response to the original post. I get asked weekly by artists if they can have free pedals or if I have an endorsement deal. I also get asked for free pedals by gear blogs and random Youtube channels. Very occasionally I've let well-known guys get pedals (ie at least three) at my 'studio rate', which is a 30% discount. I never give anyone a free pedal because word of mouth (or the modern equivalent - discussion by peers on forums) is much better advertising. Endorsements don't work on me, and I don't consciously name-drop artists who use Fredric Effects pedals lest that's seen as an endorsement.

The only time I'll name-drop is when I'm talking to some guy who has a hard time fathoming that my effects pedal company is a SERIOUS BUSINESS. 
    :)

Also, if the endorsee is someone no-one has heard of (ie you've gotta Google their name) you may as well put up testimonials from happy customers instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavCGavC Frets: 19
     I remembered that John Etheridge (whom I very much respect) has an SA I figured that as a working guitarist he would play a quality instrument so that gave me confidence that the SA was worth investigating. Still I didn't buy it just because JE had one, I bought it because it was a damn good instrument and it happened to suit what I wanted to do with it. Actually I suspect that RB or JE have never "endorsed" their instruments but if they had my reactions would I think be the same.
    John Etheridge? Not another one of those players no-ones heard of and you have to google?

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    timhulio said:

Also, if the endorsee is someone no-one has heard of (ie you've gotta Google their name) you may as well put up testimonials from happy customers instead.
    That's what I do: lots of testicle-monials ... and spend plenty of time being available for discussion. That approach doesn't seem to have injured my sales at home, or indeed in Europe. I seem to be selling rather well in Germany, which is a surprise (especially when my pickup names include Blitz Spirit, Firewatch, NightFighter and 'V' ... I never did learn not to mention the war).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    GavC said:
     I remembered that John Etheridge (whom I very much respect) has an SA I figured that as a working guitarist he would play a quality instrument so that gave me confidence that the SA was worth investigating. Still I didn't buy it just because JE had one, I bought it because it was a damn good instrument and it happened to suit what I wanted to do with it. Actually I suspect that RB or JE have never "endorsed" their instruments but if they had my reactions would I think be the same.
    John Etheridge? Not another one of those players no-ones heard of and you have to google?

Bang!
  • GavC said:

He does seem to play his Martyn Booth Signature a lot more judging by his recent YouTube videos. :)
    Well we aren't gear fascists. All our endorsers are able to use whatever they like as long as they obviously promote and use our gear at least as much as. 

I'm sure that'll change once we stick a P90 on a stock guitar for him and call it a signature ;-)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited October 2013
    It's good to see that you "eat your own dog food"

Great tones!
    Lol thank you - so thats the pitfall of using your own name and not a user ID...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073

I attended a clinic of yours in Stafford Gav. Eric had the nice Super T I was on about earlier in the thread... should've put 2 and 2 together... doh.  X_X

"A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @GavC I didn't know JE was playing an Elise these days. I decided I wouldn't mind trying one after I read a review in Guitarist.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    GavC said:
    Lol thank you - so thats the pitfall of using your own name and not a user ID...
    My favorite video is where you rock the fuck out a Spongebob guitar. Made me laugh it did.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    "Can also be used to play a tune…"

lol

Brilliant :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Shows what a good setup can do for even the cheapest guitars   ;)
    Shows what a good setup can do for even the cheapest guitars   ;)
    ...so why waste money on an expensive one? ;-)

• GavC said:
    Shows what a good setup can do for even the cheapest guitars   ;)
    ...so why waste money on an expensive one? ;-)
    Ego. Nothing more.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    As a buyer of gear, modern day endorsements mean little to me.  Like for example, I love Billy Gibbons' sound.  But does that make me purchase Cream T pickups?  No.  but does it make me want a 1959 Les Paul like Pearly Gates - absolutely.

As a pickup maker, I would wonder if I would be able to take your noble stance.  I would think that part of the way that Bare Knuckles made themselves known was by having so many famous people playing their pickups.  For me, their brand recognition would make me aware of them but would not necessarily make me buy the pickups I needed from them.

tFB Trader
    Mosfed said:
    As a pickup maker, I would wonder if I would be able to take your noble stance.  I would think that part of the way that Bare Knuckles made themselves known was by having so many famous people playing their pickups.  For me, their brand recognition would make me aware of them but would not necessarily make me buy the pickups I needed from them.

Not a lot noble about it, a matter of having a business ethic and sticking to it. I think people would rather I sunk all OCPs spare cash (that which doesn't go to filling my belly or paying the rent) into making better products. Not on flash advertising and jollies for the privileged :)

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    TBH I suspect your generous contribution to the forums here and at MR will get you far more business than giving away freeby's to somebody I'm unlikely to have heard of/ever hear of.

PS I'll be after a pair of Bucaneer's shortly, so what sort of discount am I looking at? :-*
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom