Another recommend me some music based on the following artists thread

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9827
edited May 2015 in Music
I tend to listen to the same music almost constantly and whilst it serves me well as I still love it, I do sometimes think I'd quite like to get some new music in and support some other artists as well. Stuff recently that I've initially liked has not managed any longevity, but I think it's because I don't listen to radio to get the random discoveries, just the stuff that gets publicised (Jake Bugg, James Bay, Royal Blood et al) which just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi. So I thought I'd be lazy and ask you lot for your recommendations based on a few guide artists etc. I can get student discount on Spotify premium too (woohoo) so if I get going with the new music thang I may consider getting that and then buying properly the records I properly like.

So artists I like:
The White Stripes (and associated bands). This is borderline obsession 
The Strokes, also into Julian Casablancas by himself as solo
Earlier albums by the Black Keys before they went all American TV drama series soundtrack on us
The Kills
Jeff Buckley
Bert Jansch
Paul Simon
Velvet Underground & Lou Reed in general
Gun Club
Alabama Shakes
Cold War Kids
Black Belles
Loretta Lynn
Really old Blues and jazz records where they soudn like theyre recorded in a tin of Heinz beans

And a few acts I don't like despite them being quite similar to artists listed above:
The Hives
Jake Bugg/James Bay/Ed Sheeran and the other nice polite singers in that club
Muse
A few others haha

So, on your marks.....go!
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    Tame impala.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9827
    Hmm thanks, interesting, sound like a watercolour somehow. A bit like a washy version of that band that did the Dominoes Dominoes Dominoes Dominoes song. Not quite my bag but interesting nonetheless, thanks
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    I rec'd them because I like a lot of your list ;)
    I reckon I could like them with a different vocalist and a bit more gutsy sound to the accompaniment*

*caveat, from what I could tell from their top five on Spotify haha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    @thecolourbox, anytime I am looking for new things to listen to always use rateyourmusic.com.  I think it would be helpful for you too.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with many of the bands or artists on your lists so I've picked Gun Club at random.  When you search for them on RYM, and get to their page, you get a list of related artists.  This is bands who have also had the same members as The Gun Club at some point, so they might be worth checking out.  

If you look at the genres that RYM says The Gun Club belong in they are Punk Blues, Post-Punk and Psychobilly.  Again, I haven't heard this band so I'm not sure if that's accurate but the userbase on RYM are very, very particular about genres so I'm guessing that's fairly accurate.  

If you click on "Custom Chart" on RYM you will get a search page.  In the "only include genres box" type in punk blues and then click on show chart.   You'll get a list of 221 or so top rated punk blues albums on RYM.  It's a good way to find bands and albums that you may not have heard of.  You can also specify years in the search i.e. only search for punk blues from the 80s or 90s etc.

In the drop down menu button that says "top" you can change this to esoteric or bottom.  Esoteric is basically albums which have a high rating, but only have a few ratings.  This is a good way to discover some hidden gems.  

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    edited May 2015
    Japandroids. Shit name but their last LP (Celebration Rock) rocks!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I always think the things you've recorded and put on here sound like Canned Heat, so Canned Heat! You may have to look past any over familiarity with their couple of hits and their latter days as blues rockers but their basic mix of fuzzy psychedelica and old blues isn't a big jump from the White Stripes.

The North Missisipi Allstars not a big leap from early Black Keys. Try the album Shake Hands With Shorty.

Hound Dog Taylor - Jack White was certainly listening to him ( interestingly the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion came up as white boys ripping off Hound Dog on google along with Jack so maybe have them as a bonus recommendation!). 

Maybe some of the classic Japanese girl band power pop stuff like Shonen Knife or The 5,6,7,8s? 

If you crossed Paul Simon with Bert Jansch you might get Richard Thompson. I rather suspect you'd see him as the bastard offspring though.However, you could try some of the acoustic stuff or the Richard and Linda Thompson period. 

So, no 21st century suggestions from me! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    The War on Drugs? Love their capacity to meld 80s anthemic rock with a bit of psychedelia without it being shit (IMHO)...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    So possibly (but not new), Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Django Django

Warpaint (though this is in danger of verging into US TV drama territory)

Thanks guys keep em coming, appreciate this!

@bingefeller that sounds a great website indeed for this sort of thing, a lot of what i like today i found via something similar years ago i think called Musicmatch radio, it was a bit like a good version of the itunes genius mix thing, you chose a track then it shuffled related artists. I'll give that a look

@freakboy1610 i actually like the name...will have a listen

@erictheweary I know youve mentioned Canned Heat before,I only really know of one song to be honest (from an advert) so nothing against them on that front,so I shall seek them out. I love really old blues but a very small of newer stuff. The newer ones i like for reasons than the blues, ie they bring an approach that i understand, and the blues is just a bonus! That said i will certainly give them a listen. Richard Thomson also is decent yes, ive a couple of cds of his, so good call

Doesn't need to be up to date just new to me!

@imalone love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs early stuff, mainly the guitar based stuff - their guitarists sound is immense. Used to cover Man in a group i was in, still one of my favourites. Not heard of the other two which is good, I shall give them a listen!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I have to admit that I've never heard of half of these bands.
  • Trophy Scars

@thewiddler sorry missed yours, I'll give them a go with an open mind though I'm not usually big on 80s anthemic music, but happy to give it a go

@simpsonslostson cheers as well

@bingefeller we cant all know everything haha
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    off the top of my head and I daresay I'll think of others-you could try-
    The Cramps-'Off The Bone' is a place to start'
    The Stooges -first 3 lps
    'Nuggets' and  'The Great British Psychedelic Trip' compilations
    Jonathon Richmond and Modern Lovers first album
    Very early Tammy Wynette
    Johnny Cash Sun stuff
    Drop Out with The Barracudas
    Davey Graham
    Pentangle
    Tim Buckley

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Sixteen Horsepower (and the later band Wovenhand)
    The Dirtbombs
    The Heads
    Cherry Choke
    Comus
    Circulus

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    How about... The Delta Riggs
    Maybe but not sure about The Fumes
    The Fratellis (anything after the first album)
    The Black Box Revelation
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Ohh and The Datsuns. Especially their trashier albums Headstunts and Deathrattleboogie
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard are everything Tame Impala should be -

Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Mississippi fred McDowell, rl burnside, junior kimbrough, daptone records, the black Angels, spacemen 3, spiritualized, funkadelic, love, the coral, the las, Dr john, 13th floor elevators,flaming lips, lightning hopkins.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3090
    Ryan Adams.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"