Come on,don't be embarrassed,name me some good Hair Metal.

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Maybe a bit earlier than true Hair Metal.

Oh - big amounts of love for Loverboy here!

Yup - theres a lot of cool music in this thread.
    How could I forget Saraya Philly Q - love the Blackbird album.
    I was waiting for you to mention Loverboy after a recent discussion on FB with a mutual friend... :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I was a big fan of Blue Murder when the album came out (John Sykes). My copy is vinyl so I havent played it for about 20 years! I could never listen to Loverboy, I hate that poncy name!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Smashed Gladys Sea Hags Salty Dog
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Some of these might be pushing the definition a bit but..

Bad English, Blue Murder, Cats in Boots, Dirty White Boy, Edguy, Giant, Helloween, L.A.Guns, Kiss of the Gypsy, Loudness, Lynch Mob, Magnum, Mr.Big,  Puddle of Mudd, Racer X, Saraya, Savatage, Shark Island, Shout, Steelheart, Tyketto,, Unruly Child, Vixen and XYZ would stand you in good stead.

You are the first person i have ever seen or heard from that knows who 'Saraya' are, every time i've ever mentioned them, no one knows who they are or remembers the songs. I bought their album off the back of hearing 'Love has taken it's Toll' on channel 4's late Friday night rock show, 'The Power Hour', hosted by 'Nikki' - remember her ?
    I think Saraya are Canadian but that might be a mixed up hazy memory and could be wrong.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    edited May 2015
    Anybody mentioned Phantom Blue yet? Not sure if it falls into the 'hair metal' category but definitely worth a listen. Some great shredding contained on this album:

A little later (1994) but a fantastic track with a killer solo:

Sadly, Michelle Meldrum is no longer with us. Awesome guitarist.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    edited May 2015
    Alnico said:
    You are the first person i have ever seen or heard from that knows who 'Saraya' are, every time i've ever mentioned them, no one knows who they are or remembers the songs. I bought their album off the back of hearing 'Love has taken it's Toll' on channel 4's late Friday night rock show, 'The Power Hour', hosted by 'Nikki' - remember her ?
    I think Saraya are Canadian but that might be a mixed up hazy memory and could be wrong.

I believe the band was American, although individual members may have been Canadians, I don't know!  

As I mentioned, I've got CDs (and vinyl) by most of the bands in this thread but they very rarely get played nowadays.  Saraya (along with one or two others like Winger and Y&T) are the ones who've stood the test of time for me, especially their second album When the Blackbird Sings which is absolutely brilliant from beginning to end.

Presumably they weren't a massive success but I'm surprised they only did those two albums then disappeared.  It's so different nowadays, a band might get picked up by a major label for an album or two but they'll have probably already released something on an indie label and - when they inevitably get dropped - they'll go back to the indies and keep on going.  It's hard to keep track now.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Love/Hate 'Blackout in the Red Room'  is also really good imo.

Wisdom. Except for the very dodgy tune about a 13 yr old groupie. Good band but came along just as grunge killed that scene
    Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime

Not strictly hair metal, but it's the right era and it's bloody awesome.

There's some truth in this, basically big hair was the fashion so a load of bands that are really cracking rock bands look dated due to fashion and deserve reevaluation. Tesla and Cinderella. Queensryche, Love/Hate. I thought Motley Crüe and Posion and the like were pretty bad at the time but with perspective they wrote some really great tunes didn't they?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037

and this, later 80's with a fantastic intro.

Ronnie LeTekro's tone = best use of a Boss BF-2 ever.
    TNT are awesome; Intuition is probably my favourite, but I also really like Firefly and Transistor. Not so much hair metal but well worth checking out. I have a massive collection of hair metal so will post some more bands later :)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Accept- Balls to the wall.

Hair metal without hair.....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    TYKEEEEETTTTO!!

Also BANG TANGO

Saraya fan here. Give me a while and I'll find and post a photo of the CD
    Alnico said:

Some of these might be pushing the definition a bit but..

Bad English, Blue Murder, Cats in Boots, Dirty White Boy, Edguy, Giant, Helloween, L.A.Guns, Kiss of the Gypsy, Loudness, Lynch Mob, Magnum, Mr.Big,  Puddle of Mudd, Racer X, Saraya, Savatage, Shark Island, Shout, Steelheart, Tyketto,, Unruly Child, Vixen and XYZ would stand you in good stead.

Rock queen
    Samgb said:

Wisdom. Except for the very dodgy tune about a 13 yr old groupie. Good band but came along just as grunge killed that scene

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Anyone mentioned Autograph yet? Probably not, they were a bit shite... apart from their guitar player, who was ON FIRE.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    rsvmark;643549" said:
    Accept- Balls to the wall.

Hair metal without hair.....
    Not hair metal, just perfect heavy metal.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Sons of Angels  

daveyh;643653" said:
    Rock queen

Samgb said:

BloodEagle said:

That's the one! The follow up Wasted In America was good too. Then they disappeared
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    There was a third Love/Hate album, Let's Rumble, with a different guitarist, Darren Housholder, who was "better" than Jon E. Love but really didn't suit the band at all.  Then they carried on touring occasionally with various different lineups but didn't release any more albums (at least not anything that was widely available).  

It's amazing what happened with all those LA bands, the musicians have swapped around from band to band like it's a job centre where whoever turns up first that morning gets the gig.  Since Love/Hate Jizzy Pearl has sung for LA Guns, Ratt, Adler's Appetite and now Quiet Riot.  It's all ridiculously incestuous. 

• Hanoi rocks.

Grand Prix, maybe more nwobhm than hair.

In jazz, no one can hear you scream