The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    What UK time do the tests run from and to?
    im considering getting sky for the next month or 2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    sev112 said:
    They're on BT, and the UK hours of play vary according to which state they are playing in. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14292
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    sev112 said:
    They're on BT, and the UK hours of play vary according to which state they are playing in. 
    good hi-light shows on BT after - Think 2 or 3 slots during the day, so more friendly hours to catch up on the days play
    tFB Trader
    Stuckfast said:
    Who's staying up late tonight then? Will they really leave out Jimmy or is it a double bluff?
    I've done it in the past - Not so sure this time - Previously I've gone to bed say 8pm UK - Get up at 12/midnight UK - Lie on the sofa with a duvet and nod off/wake up etc during the days play subject to action/interest - Then try and get an hours kip before work etc - But tough to do for 5 matches over 6-8 weeks

Will certainly try and get the early hi-lights show before I've caught up on any news reports/updates 

tFB Trader
    What have the Aussies cricket team and Santa got in common - They'll both be up all night sledging 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So what your thought pattern for the result of the Ashes - Can chat for ages about the merits of this v that etc - I think the Aussies have some advantages , but don't believe they hold all the picture cards  - I'm torn between a 3-1 or 3-0 series win for the Aussies
  • It's pissing with rain in brizzy at the moment, so tonight may not be worth it, unless you want all the bluster that goes on at the start of the telly coverage
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    I generally stay up as long as possible for the ashes, but I can’t see anything other than a thumping for us.
    The Aussies have 2 players averaging over 60 and a pace bowling attack. We’ve got 2 world class players and a team of right arm fast mediums yet again
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited December 2021 tFB Trader
    I'm on it all night. Got it all planned out (I do this every 4 years) and it always ends in tears.

I will essentially do a double shift - work hard and late today (less to do tomorrow) Got a lot more orders out the door today so I can feck a few off tomorrow until Thursday.

Take a nap at approx 8pm - wake up at 10:00. (stage one complete, just got up)
    Coffee at 11pm

Soldering iron on with TMS when it starts, still can squeeze a few orders in tonight, ironically got a few to get ready for Australia in the morning.

This will end in tears when I tune into TMS later tonight and find out that rain severely delays play. What do I do? Do I have a beer? Or a coffee?

Dentist tomorrow morning  could be interesting.

I love the Ashes because we are always cautiously optimistic for the first day, until England are either 130 all out or Australia are 220-2 at close. Then it is business as usual.

Think England might raise a few eye brows though.

The beauty of this though is working from home. If I had to go into an office job tomorrow, I wouldn't bother.

Enjoy it anyway everyone!

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Oops!

Bowled around the legs first ball is the batting equivalent of the Harmy second slip ball.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I'll reserve judgement until both teams have batted, and maybe the rain will come intervene, but oh dear. 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Not a great start, but a lot more cricket still to be played.

Good start for Patty Cummins though, he’s got to be happy with that 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I've had a lifetime of English cricket disasters so I'm used to it. A tad disappointing though as I thought we were better than that these days. No Anderson so I don't have high hopes of getting them out cheaply. Still, it's a game of four halves (?) so not over yet ...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Have we won?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Joe Root saw the colour of the wicket and thought he was on a snooker table.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

tFB Trader
    Glad I missed it - Fell asleep and went to bed at 11 with plans to watch when I woke up - Sounds like I had a better time than England - Typical game plan by the Aussies - Go in hard and see what they have 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    When Joe Root said he was perfectly prepared to march his players off the pitch I wasn't aware he meant in the first session of the series.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5464
    Looks like a poor series ahead. England won't put up much fight against a ferocious Australian attack, and the England bowlers will, yet again, face the horrible task of trying to take fast wickets when you haven't got any sort of score to defend. 

..... Until we see some seamer's weather and the England attack start swinging the ball around. As always, Australia's bats will panic when it starts swinging, and the top order will collapse, handing England an easy victory. 

I predict a summer of boring three-day tests and innings victories, one way or the other. Call it 3-1 the series. 

The one wild card is the weather: it is a big La Niña year, which means cooler than average temperatures and lots of rain. Most of the excitement will be of the "can they get the last three wickets before it rains again" type.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    I've only seen the highlights, but they looked undercooked to me (hardly surprising).
    Burns's dismissal was a shocker, Malan shouldn't be playing at that and when the 2 best players get 0 & 5, you're in the brown stuff. Very odd not playing Broad on a green pitch, even if it's just to get in Warner's head