The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13984
    if we get any play tomorrow, things could get tense as the Aussie batsmen casually wander around the crease inbetween balls and the covers are on and off.

I put it at no more than 20% chance of England getting the remaining wickets down looking at the forecast

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9490
    I’ve got a feeling we might regret the drop off Marsh. Tough chance but need to take those if you want to win in short time
    edited July 2023
    chris78 said:
    I’ve got a feeling we might regret the drop off Marsh. Tough chance but need to take those if you want to win in short time
    Bigger regret will be the sloppy moments of play in the first 2 matches, if we'd won one of those this risk of weather is academic and we'd be going into The Oval 2-1 up if no result at Old Trafford

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    BBC weather forecast looks grim for today at Old Trafford

Pat Cummins has asked for a seat to reserved for the Urn on the Quantas flight home.  :/

• WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 107
    edited July 2023
    Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    pigface said:
    crunchman said:
    Aussies only 24 overs in the session.  There should be penalty runs when it's that slow.
    As an overview then I agree - It has probably been less of an issue within 'Bazball' as most games have finished with a +ve result, so the lack of 90 overs in a day has become less of an issue

The issue will be factors like checking an appeal via 3rd official, physio on for ball hitting helmet etc - Even no balls - All that never happened on this morning session - But the 3rd official would need to way up such factors - Even 3/4/5 wickets in a session as that would account for lack of deliveries - Even the batting team trying to slow it down if it suits them  - So a 3rd official would have to be given a guide line to work with regarding various factors that you can't blame the bowling team for

However, then you need to decide what the punishment would be - I don't think it can be 'lack of overs' then to be bowled after 6.30 as often conditions/weather/light might not allow for it - It has to be runs added to the score board for lack of deliveries - To be accounted for after each of the 3 sessions - 1 run for lack of each over not bowled is not enough - 6 runs for each over not bowled is probably a good starting point
    I read on the OBO yesterday (not sure if it was the BBC or the Grauniad), in response to England fans complaining about the Aussies' slow over rate, that it was better than England's in the first innings.
    More teams need to be properly punished for slow over rates. Seem to remember the first test of this series was plagued by it too. It's rubbish for the spectators. 
    Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    Yep, we're consoling ourselves with making a big pot of Chinese style chicken and king prawn curry, washing it down with a few  Staropramens and watching F1 and cheering on LH

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4662
    The infuriating thing is, we could easily be 3-0 up, have won the Ashes already, and we'd just be bemoaning the fact that the weather was spoiling the chance of a 5-0 whitewash.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8211
    The infuriating thing is, we could easily be 3-0 up, have won the Ashes already, and we'd just be bemoaning the fact that the weather was spoiling the chance of a 5-0 whitewash.
    Also, if my aunty had balls and they were on fire, we'd actually be glad of this rain to put them out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4662
    Hattigol said:
    Also, if my aunty had balls and they were on fire, we'd actually be glad of this rain to put them out.
    It's true, though.  Were it not for a strange declaration on Day 1 when Root was carving it all over the ground, and a dumb half hour at Lord's chasing the short ball, England could easily have won the first two.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    Yep, we're consoling ourselves with making a big pot of Chinese style chicken and king prawn curry, washing it down with a few  Staropramens and watching F1 and cheering on LH
    Can I come round? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2023
    Can I come round?
    Sure, curry is simmering ready and we've got the F1 on on the 65” TV in UHD and Dolby Atmos sound bar up loud!

• Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    Can I come round?
    Sure, curry is simmering ready and we've got the F1 on on the 65” TV in UHD and Dolby Atmos sound bar up loud!

Sounds great! I had a bacon bap or two.

What is annoying is that here in Derbyshire-ish it's lovely and sunny.
    edited July 2023
    Forecast for rest of afternoon/evening at Old Trafford is dire, what a damp squib of a way for Aus to retain the Ashes, clearly on the ropes in this match as well. I can't imagine they will lose any sleep over it though.

• Yeah, thoroughly underwhelmed by this weather ruining potentially one of the greatest tests ever. I can't believe it's pi***ng down 80 miles up the road. This is BBQ weather here. 
    edited July 2023
    Yeah, thoroughly underwhelmed by this weather ruining potentially one of the greatest tests ever. I can't believe it's pi***ng down 80 miles up the road. This is BBQ weather here. 
    I am completely underwhelmed how England have got themselves into this position, was it over confidence? Arrogance? Or just brainless stupidity? 

Oh well, there's always The Hundred  =)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
    Sometimes cricket just seems sh*te as a game. I can't believe we've lost the ashes, we absolutely seem like the better team. We've had sun all day around our way! 

They only have themselves to blame with that daft early declaration in the first test, followed by Bairstow's mistake in the next, although the Aussie lack of sportsmanship still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I feel pretty gutted how it's gone in this one. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9490
    Kick in the teeth. To be positive, we’ve learnt how to play Bazball properly. We’ve got in the Aussies heads. They’ll be genuinely scared of Brook and Crawley down under in 2 years.
    On the negative side, given the age of the team, we will need a serious rebuild. Hard to see any of the bowling attack down under. Looks like Jimmy’s time is finally up, Mo probably should re-retire, Wood & Woakes will be mid 30s. It’s possible Stokes’s body will be done by then too. 
    Shove Rehan Ahmed in and stick with him to learn now- I’d play him at Lords. I’d give Tongue another game as he seems to have something but we’re going to need to find another genuine quick.
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    chris78 said:
    Looks like Jimmy’s time is finally up
    Shove Rehan Ahmed in
    I’d give Tongue another game 

Looks like I can't add anything to an edited quote. In any case, 'yes' to all 3 of these. I can (as a neutral) agree that it's rough to have the weather decide such an important game, but them's the breaks. IMO the Aussies blew the 3rd Test when they should, at least, have drawn it. The first two were close, but this is Test cricket and, to quote Heinrich 
    Klaasen, 'Test cricket is hard'.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1221
    As a recent convert i.e two games ago, it's good to know the old reason for not watching cricket are there. What a waste of time the last two days were.