The cricket thread

What's Hot
1261262263264265267»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Looks like the time has arrived for Jimmy to call it a day - Nothing announced etc but talks today suggest it will be sooner rather than later 

Reports I'm seeing are that he has been pushed into it by McCullum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Looks like the time has arrived for Jimmy to call it a day - Nothing announced etc but talks today suggest it will be sooner rather than later 

Reports I'm seeing are that he has been pushed into it by McCullum.
    Agree - as they try to build and develop a new attack for the next Ashes 

i can see the thinking but not sure we currently have that player who is guaranteed to effectively lead the line on a regular basis 

Woakes is not young- Wood is injury prone and barely plays a full series - Prospects yes but they need to transfer potential into a regular place in the side along with on field performances 

he has certainly done us all proud 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    So now official about Jimmy 

glad he gets one more match to say goodbye- He deserves it - Sometimes legend is not enough - Probably won’t see his like again in the rest of my life, in any team be it England or Aussies etc

Thanks for so many great memories 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13964
    He should have gone on his own terms at his peak, like Broady

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9424
    I think the problem was, his own terms were that he would have gone on at least until the Ashes and on current form, he probably doesn’t merit a place unfortunately. Sentimentally, I’d say given what an incredible servant he’s been, he should have gone when ready, but professional sport doesn’t work like that. He should have gone with Broady really 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I think he still has it in him to bowl some superb spells, and he was still significantly faster than Ollie Robinson in the winter.  The problem is that he can't turn around and reproduce it at the same level the next day, and in the second test if they are back to back.

The problem is that Woakes is 35, and Wood is 34, which is ancient for a bowler who is genuinely fast rather than fast medium.  They need to get young blood in.  If Anderson wanted to carry on, it might have been better to leave out Woakes and Wood and leave Anderson in as a mentor to the younger guys that we need to bring in - at least for few more months.