The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    edited August 2018
    Yes, Woakes has a quad injury. Yet another bowler who has been hampered by injury.

I have close to zero time for Michael Vaughan. He's very much rooted in his time and way of doing things, amusingly a bit like Botham. Nasser Hussain across the various platforms is my favourite commentator because he balances up his cricketing knowledge from the era he played with respecting the changes in cricket now. This was why Richie Benaud was so good: respect for the past but also positive words for the present and the future, as he showed when he approved of World Series Cricket. 
    Mark Butcher is my favourite. 

Michael Vaughan has become a caricature of himself and never ceases to spout nonsense.  

Have you heard Jimmy Anderson on TMS?  He's the worst pundit I've come across in cricket.  As a fine a bowler as he is, his oratory skills need a lot of work as on the radio he struggles to complete a sentence without saying 'You know/like' every other word or so.  In contrast I think Broad has the potential to be fantastic pundit, very articulate and explains his observations on the game to great detail. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Key is superb. Informative, pithy and memorable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Vaughan can be okay when it comes to aspects of playing the game but the wider stuff (day/night tests, things like that) he's prone to talking cobblers. I think it was last season where he was forever talking about the ball "tailing in". Arrghh!

We are lucky to have a decent crop of commentators and analysts. For me, Atherton is the cream of the crop.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22136
    Can't stand Mark Butcher. Some of his cheerleading for a British BBL was horrific. Rob Key is good, Atherton is excellent, Gower still has his moments. It'[s the one area where we clearly beat Australia as most of them are horrific on the commentary front. Glenn McGrath on TMS really bucked the trend there with some superb analysis of the bowling on offer and with a very welcome wit to boot. 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Michael Atherton's my favourite by miles, I love the dryness of his humour.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    Can't stand Mark Butcher. Some of his cheerleading for a British BBL was horrific. Rob Key is good, Atherton is excellent, Gower still has his moments. It'[s the one area where we clearly beat Australia as most of them are horrific on the commentary front. Glenn McGrath on TMS really bucked the trend there with some superb analysis of the bowling on offer and with a very welcome wit to boot. 
    Michael Clarke is pretty decent, his commentary is on the dry side of things as it's largely obsessive on field placements and captaincy but I agree Oz commentators are largely horrible.  I like some of the Kiwi guys, eg Ian Smith. 
    As Kiwis go, Jeremy Coney on TMS is always good value. Always like the tours to NZ for that reason. 

I'd have no problems with Jeremy Coney being a full-time member of TMS. Like Bumble, he understands that when a sport is as stretched-out as cricket is there are things going on elsewhere that the viewer/listener might be interested in.

I'd also have John Holder doing the "ask the umpire" thing far more often, it's a reminder of the daft things that happen in the game's grass roots.

Tactically, Nasser Hussain brought a whole new level of analysis to commentary when he started, ppointing out things that the captains might have been thinking and dealing with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's why I like Nasser so much. Sharp, observational, and the sense of humour he has comes out well too. Best England captain since Brearley. No Nasser, no 2005. 

That's why I like Nasser so much. Sharp, observational, and the sense of humour he has comes out well too. Best England captain since Brearley. No Nasser, no 2005. 
    I believe that that captaincy evolved Gooch>Nas>Vaughan and each played their part to bring great change. Nas would certainly credit Gooch for influencing his captaincy and method.

Oh and finding 3 seamers who bowled c. 90mph and finding KP too.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Anderson and Broad seem to be moving into punditry after their careers.
    Broad was a commentator on Sky Sports during the ODI's earlier this summer. 
    Anderson is on TMS during ODI's

I think Rob Key is great, Tuffers is funny. I also like Charlie Dagnall on TMS for the ODI's

On a different note - Im trying to get tickets for Day 1 of the Edgbaston Ashes test next year. £115 per ticket, not available to the general public until 30th September (currently available to members only)

A ticket for day one at the Ageas Bowl yesterday was £40.00.
    For £40.00 I would have been entertained and happy. For £100+ I would be fuming if I saw England bat the way they did yesterday
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    There's undoubted influence on Nasser from Gooch in terms of work ethic but also what not to do. Gooch's inflexibility ended up counting against him. Nasser had two major plus points compared to Gooch and Atherton: greater flexibility and a far better understanding of bowlers. So much changed over the years, central contracts to CC structure. Vaughan was the right captain at the right time with (crucially) the right players but his role wasn't so much about changing the culture of the team as Nasser's was. 

When Kohli passed 6000 today, he only has Gavaskar's whole test record between him and Sachin's test record. Fact.

Gassage said:
    When Kohli passed 6000 today, he only has Gavaskar's whole test record between him and Sachin's test record. Fact.
    So only 17.7 Ajit Agarkar's to go then. 

Got to love our slow bowling situation...

Moeen Ali went to Australia with Bayliss saying he wasn't our number one. He had a 'mare, got dropped, and a couple of others came in in the form of Leach and Bess. Both of these chaps weren't ready for the India games due to injury and lack of game time so we turned to a slow bowler who didn't like long form cricket and he became our number one. He performed pretty well really, hasn't been outclassed by Ashwin, but today he's barely bowled whilst our not number one returning slow bowler has been the number one turn to slow bowler. 

So we tour Sri Lanka in the winter. Anyone want to place a bet on who our first pick slow bowler? 

@Heartfeltdawn having played a huge amount of league cricket with Mo, he's one of the most emotional players I've encountered in terms of confidence. He's an inveterate bat fetisher, always not liking his bat and wanting more, always underconfident until he turns one and I think this comes across in his tests.

Lovely guy though, as is all his family, and his Dad especially, who is a legendary coach at West Bromwich Dartmouth youth cricket.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I think mo was very unfairly treated last year. His summer was excellent, he contributed with bat or ball, but in oz he was thrown under the bus. Not fit and not confident. He needed a rest.

Super pleased he performed today :) 
    Gassage said:
    @Heartfeltdawn having played a huge amount of league cricket with Mo, he's one of the most emotional players I've encountered in terms of confidence. He's an inveterate bat fetisher, always not liking his bat and wanting more, always underconfident until he turns one and I think this comes across in his tests.

Lovely guy though, as is all his family, and his Dad especially, who is a legendary coach at West Bromwich Dartmouth youth cricket.

That doesn't surprise me. He comes over that way with his bowling action, forever tinkering. You can see the differences in it today, the changes in action that have come along since last winter's badness. Haven't played with Moeen but Kadeer and Kabir both seemed like good chaps on and off the field. 

I think mo was very unfairly treated last year. His summer was excellent, he contributed with bat or ball, but in oz he was thrown under the bus. Not fit and not confident. He needed a rest.

It also shows the value of actually having some first class cricket during a Test series rather than just T20 action. No CC games due to silly 20 over slogs = no double ton or good wicket haul for Moeen prior to this Test. 

It also shows the value of actually having some first class cricket during a Test series rather than just T20 action. No CC games due to silly 20 over slogs = no double ton or good wicket haul for Moeen prior to this Test. 
    The schizoid nature of the cricket beggars belief. Everything seems to have been sacrificed in order to win the world cup next year.