what classic album would you like to see re-recorded

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Surely if an album is a classic, the recording medium is academic. For example would Robert Johnson give you the heebee-geebees more if recorded on a squillion track DAW?

For me what makes an album a classic is that performance. And I'm with Jerry Lee Lewis who described recording as taking about as long as it does to listen to. And the imperfections are all a part of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Surely if an album is a classic, the recording medium is academic. For example would Robert Johnson give you the heebee-geebees more if recorded on a squillion track DAW?

Plus he'd probably have to offer the devil his balls to acquire the skill to use Pro Tools, so I doubt it would happen.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    AFD so you can hear the bass
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    So Far So Good So What
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2929
    Born to Run - Springsteen,  just seems a bit muffled 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'm gonna have to think long and hard about this one. Sometimes the "problems" or inadequacies in records are actually really fucking clever ways of distracting you from much bigger problems, and sometimes the failings of the record are part of it's charm. It's also a bit hubristic to think that just because certain production techniques are popular now, they're inherently an improvement on what went before. It might be that in 50 years people think that the recordings from the '70s are the height of perfecton and the stuff being released today is horribly over-hyped in the bass and treble, stupidly compressed and enhanced to the point of caracature.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    So Far So Good So What
    I think that one's beyond rescuing.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Born to Run - Springsteen,  just seems a bit muffled 
    Totally agree. And while we're re-recording it I'd remove all trace of Bruce, ask someone else to write some new songs and get in some slightly more restrained players. 

:P
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Court and Spark.  Joni Mitchell.  On decent equipment this time please.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I would like to hear the back catalog of The Faces re-recorded. The remasters are pretty decent but I'd love to hear them re-recorded. Oh and early Def Leppard e.g. High 'n' Dry (anything pre-Hysteria), I didn't like Joe Elliott's voice on that stuff and they were lacklustre sounding recordings. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Chuffola;645206" said:

Totally agree. And while we're re-recording it I'd remove all trace of Bruce, ask someone else to write some new songs and get in some slightly more restrained players. 

:P
    And when pressing to CD, omit the table of contents so no one can play it....
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Octahedron;645323" said:
    I would like to hear the back catalog of The Faces re-recorded. The remasters are pretty decent but I'd love to hear them re-recorded. Oh and early Def Leppard e.g. High 'n' Dry (anything pre-Hysteria), I didn't like Joe Elliott's voice on that stuff and they were lacklustre sounding recordings. 
    Pre high and dry are the only records that sound good.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    Oh and early Def Leppard e.g. High 'n' Dry (anything pre-Hysteria), I didn't like Joe Elliott's voice on that stuff and they were lacklustre sounding recordings. 
    Gosh, I'm surprised by that.  I think High 'n' Dry is an awesome sounding album and by far my favourite Def Leppard effort. The later stuff is far too glossy and polished.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Loveless by MBV, with drums that don't sound shit.
    Nowhere by Ride. The vocals are more than a little shonky on that one.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Oh that era of Def Lep has the better songs, no doubt. I just don't really like the guitar tones on the album and Joe's voice doesn't quite do it for me. I love hearing the songs from that era performed live though, no doubt. I'm certainly not saying that they should take the production values of Slang, X etc and slap them on re-recordings of those albums. I mean the covers album they did, that has a better overall sound to it. It's polished but it's listenable. I don't like Slang, X, etc.

I will take it to the grave that Hysteria is the best DL album, and that Yeah is the only listenable thing they've made since. Shame because the Sparkle Lounge was sounding promising. They have a new one out at the end of the year. My hopes are up!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Not sure about rerecording as an album captured the playing at that time, but I would love Steven Wilson to get hold of the masters for Marillion's first album to do a much better mix on it. A masterpiece of music somewhat dulled by poor production.