Sweet home alabama

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10695
    It's not that special. It uses the same chords :)

Well yes, but under your premise of reversing the chords, to demonstrate that GCD doesn't necessarily mean it's in D (which I agree with by the way) I'm just saying that GCD would be IV, IIV, I (there's no dominant) whereas DCG (if the song's in G) would be V IV I.

The existance of the dominant reinforces the case for it being in G, imo.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    viz said:
    It's not that special. It uses the same chords :)

Well yes, but under your premise of reversing the chords, to demonstrate that GCD doesn't necessarily mean it's in D (which I agree with by the way) I'm just saying that GCD would be IV, IIV, I (there's no dominant) whereas DCG (if the song's in G) would be V IV I.

The existance of the dominant reinforces the case for it being in G, imo.
    There's no "C" in the key of D; it would be C#. Ergo, it must be G. :)

R.
  • Just because there a C naturals does not mean it can't be in D major. I'm pretty sure I've already explained this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Just because there a C naturals does not mean it can't be in D major. I'm pretty sure I've already explained this.

It pretty much does. And I don't see any "explanation".

R.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    What is wrong with you people......................everybody knows its B sharp !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just because there a C naturals does not mean it can't be in D major. I'm pretty sure I've already explained this.

It pretty much does. And I don't see any "explanation".

R.

It is ok really, because the mixolydian scale (or major scale flat 7th) is a major scale, one of many.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    It's in G - anyone who thinks 'D' needs to learn their keys - solo wise you can do it all in G major pent or scale, or you can borrow from D major pent & C major pent when hitting those chords, as the original does during those bridging sections.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If someone can explain to me why Sweet Child is in D, but Sweet Home is somehow in G I'll listen.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    SHA resolves to G. SCOM resolves to D. Songs don't necessarily start with the chord that they resolve to.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Well, the fella what played on it says...

But Kooper argued with me the whole time I was there, saying "You're playing the solo in the wrong key." Because it starts on a D chord but it really resolves in G. It's really in the key of G. And he says "The solo should be in D." And he, unbeknownst to me, was telling the rest of the guys, "Look, we can't have this guy do the solo on the record."
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530

Although, if I have to have an opinion, it's in G, which is the same notes as D mixolydian, but mixolydian isn't a key, it's a scale. 
    Well, if we are being precise...and it's the internet so we have to ;) Mixolydian is a mode not a scale :p
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Take the solo out its in G, you can play a variety of modes for solo, but chords don't change. GCD. Key of G. Seeing as I can only play major scale for solos, will all the keys of songs I play change to suit my solo?
    Vaiai said:

Although, if I have to have an opinion, it's in G, which is the same notes as D mixolydian, but mixolydian isn't a key, it's a scale. 
    Well, if we are being precise...and it's the internet so we have to ;) Mixolydian is a mode not a scale :p

Yes, though it is also a scale (and it happens to be a mode of 6 other scales).
    edited May 2015
    If someone can explain to me why Sweet Child is in D, but Sweet Home is somehow in G I'll listen.

One major difference is that SCOM is D, C, G, D in the verse; in the chorus it's A, G (which is a dominant), D -----

The construct is entirely different in SHA. For starters, the only possible dominant chord is D, which would point the song to being in G. For seconds, the rhythm is so different. In SCOM it always lands on the D. In SHA, it lands on the G.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited May 2015
    Move along now - nothing to see here...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited May 2015
    I don't care what scale and patterns people want to use in the solos. That's not how you define a key. If it was in D there would be C#s all over the thing. But what's the second chord? C. Just regular C. So it's in G. 

FWIW I don't mind if it resolves to D for a "rocknroll finish", but that doesn't mean it's in D. 90% of the song is a V-IV-I progression.

This^

As someone who only a few days ago would have insisted it's in D, I'm now firmly in the 'G' camp. I would, however, probably solo over the SHA progression primarily using D major and D minor pentatonics. But as others have pointed out - how you choose to noodle over a progression is not how a key is defined.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    if you listen to one of the guitars in the verse it drones on a G and a D not on the b and e strings (the top 2 notes of a G5 chord) - that drone working through the whole verse suggests to me it is in G

• Those of you who say G; are you saying this just because on paper all the notes fit G major? (which is correct - they certainly do)
    Or, are you actually hearing some kind of aural resolution when the chords land on G every time?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    Those of you who say G; are you saying this just because on paper all the notes fit G major? (which is correct - they certainly do)
    Or, are you actually hearing some kind of aural resolution when the chords land on G every time?

Mostly the former, for me at least. Tbh I don't feel it particularly resolves to D or G. 

Maybe it's actually in E minor?? ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Maybe it's actually in E minor?? ;)

Actually I think you'll find the relative minor of D is Bm ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom