Slipknot are a good band

What's Hot
hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
1. There are 9, 8 members.

Do you need nine members in a rock band? Well that depends, is it absolutly crucial to the experience of your band that you have a lunatic in a clown mask who hits dustbins with a baseball bat? Slipknot think so. Is it worth splitting your paycheck with a guy who wears a spikey gimp mask which looks cool but has a totally redundant job musically, just so your bro can have a job? Slipknot think so.

2. They wear masks.

3. theyve been going for like 15 years now

4. All their songs are exactly the fucking same.

I mean that in the best sense.  Every slipknot song is a bunch of riffs with a minute long buildup and probably a rising sample that goes whOOOOOOOOOP for maximum shit-is-going-down ness. They dont do ballads or cross genre experiments. They might have a breakdown where the crowd gets to yell something and punch each other. I have a solid respect for bands who only do one thing.

All you fuckers playing ambient blues worship with 8 delay pedals have nothing on a band as gloriously serious about being stupid as slipknot.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    We are the pulse of the maggots!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    When I saw them live I did think they could play as a 4 or 5 peice and it would sound 99% the same. I wondered how the money got split: 'I've just played demanding drum work for 90 minutes and you've been hitting a dustbin with a baseball bat and you want the same money? :-B '
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    edited June 2015
    When I saw them live I did think they could play as a 4 or 5 peice and it would sound 99% the same. I wondered how the money got split: 'I've just played demanding drum work for 90 minutes and you've been hitting a dustbin with a baseball bat and you want the same money? :-B '
    It is usually mostly down to writing credits- so Jordinson and Gray would get the lions share.
    I would expect them to do so with actual lions.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Sadly, I find them tedious predictable and boring.. and also rather pointless.  
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/62188816.jpg

But regardless, any band with multi-platinum albums are a good band, at least in the eyes of a significant percentage of the audience.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree. They're too angry. Too many angry people in an angry group making angry music about hate. It hurts. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Got the albums, listen to them from time to time.  Corey on Iowa is one of the best metal vocal performances IMHO, just brutal.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree. They're too angry. Too many angry people in an angry group making angry music about hate. It hurts. 
    http://www.quickmeme.com/img/4c/4cbf0ea7bd03682e6f540740159c63854114ff3c8c327a958e4f40d8040524d1.jpg
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    edited June 2015
    I have one Slipknot CD. It is called Iowa.

Over the years I've tried several times to listen to the whole thing.

I have never made it all the way through. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    They were kinda amazing live - all that energy and great stage set. But after ten minutes you had seen all they had to offer.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited June 2015
    I knocked up a typical Slipknot style lyric, based on the content of a very small random number of their 'songs':

"Abomination subversion garbage manipulation perversion hate venomous bleed flesh pain,
    violation hell die fight  war murder disease wretched annihilation,  
    wounded worm, spit Devil madness, shit fuck sickness manic plague bastards,
    Retarded martyr bastard rip kill retarded violence."

It certainly lifts the old spirits ;)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    equalsql said:
    I knocked up a typical Slipknot style lyric, based on the content of a very small random number of their 'songs':

"Abomination subversion garbage manipulation perversion hate venomous bleed flesh pain,

EPIC LYRICS M8
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited June 2015
    It's not slow repetitive pub-jam-night 12 bar blues... and for that i am thankful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    equalsql said:

EPIC LYRICS M8
    I thinks it may be a contender for the next Eurovision (that's if Father Ted doesn't try again)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited June 2015

Taking the piss out of Slipknot is sooo 2003.

I ain't a huge fan but I did love the first two 'proper' albums (s/t and Iowa) and they are (or were I guess?) an absolutely phenomenal live band.

They shouldn't be thrown in with the rest of the nu-metal dross from the late 90s/early 2000s.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Maynehead said:
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/62188816.jpg

But regardless, any band with multi-platinum albums are a good band, at least in the eyes of a significant percentage of the audience.
    Only somewhat tongue in cheek.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    equalsql said:

2edgy4me.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Dopesick said:

Taking the piss out of Slipknot is sooo 2003.

I ain't a huge fan but I did love the first two 'proper' albums (s/t and Iowa) and they are (or were I guess?) an absolutely phenomenal live band.

They shouldn't be thrown in with the rest of the nu-metal dross from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Agree with that.

I listen to the first two albums occasionally and they're VERY good at what they do - making aggressive music for kids.  Possibly and without intending to, providing a path way to other, "better" Heavy Metal.

I've enjoyed their live shows in the past and my kids have pestered me to go and see them (11 & 15, so that's the target market, right there).  Next time...

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I wondered how the money got split: 'I've just played demanding drum work for 90 minutes and you've been hitting a dustbin with a baseball bat and you want the same money? :-B '
    THIS. A thousand times this. Ive always thought that since I first saw them. I bet dustbin guy can't believe his luck. Easiest gig in music that. He's the metal version of Bez. 
    fwiw theyve managed to come up with some pretty catchy singles in a genre that doesn't lend itself to em
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom