Shed Tips: Fray Bentos pie tins.

What's Hot
Scrub after use and then keep then in the shed for storing nuts and washers etc when disassembling pedals, amps etc
The lids come off clean with no sharp edges on the tins base.
The stack together nicely too.

Anyone else with got some shed-tips they would like to share?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    As you know I left two sheds behind when we moved - I miss them dearly. A big garage is nice but there's something very special about a shed.

My tip:  Due to the general economic downturn there are many cheap industrial racking units on ebay atm. They're very reasonably priced if you can pick up. Get everything on a shelf.  
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    Hi @mudslide73, I'm building a 16 x 8 shed at the bottom of the garden at the moment. I've just finished the base and am now costing up the wood for framing and rendering :)

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Any tips on what to do with the awful contents of a Frey Bentos pie tin?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    My biggest tip would be that everything needs a place, and all places should be labelled so when spouse/child borrows a tool there's a tiny chance it'll end up back in the right place.

And keep the floor clear as far as possible

And have a bin in the shed.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    BigMonka said:
    Any tips on what to do with the awful contents of a Frey Bentos pie tin?
    Arrange in the centre of a plate with chips surrounding (Like a moat of chips) and pour a tin of hot baked beans all over it.

Really, does it get any better than that ?

Oh wait, 'Pie-Up'.

Damn i'm hungry now !
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    This thread has the potential to be epic.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    The plastic containers with lids that some Chinese takeaways use.  I bought a load (of unused ones!) for pennies on eBay.  Come in different sizes too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I use all my old ashtrays that sadly no longer have any other use
    edited June 2015
    Paint the whole interior of the shed in brilliant white. Gloss is best but expensive, Emulsion satin will still work though and is much cheaper.

Whatever light you get in there, natural or otherwise will be hugely amplified.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    You should have one of these chained up in your shed too:
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Military history trivia time:

A British tank which broke down in No Man's Land during the battle of Passchendale was nicknamed "Fray Bentos" by its crew. Somewhat black humour even for WWI...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I can't actually get through the door of my shed anymore - no idea what lies beyond the first 2 feet
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589
    My old man always stored screws/nails in coffee jars screwed to the underside of a shelf. Kept his worktop space free for other stuff!
    Like this:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    I second the Chinese takeaway plastic tubs, they're clear so no need to label.

I would dearly love another shed, even a lean-to to put all the garden gear, leaving more space for my tools, and the router/table saw/ drill press I'm yet to own due to lack of shed space!
    This thread should be renamed 'Middle Age Dreams' !
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    monofin said:
    I can't actually get through the door of my shed anymore - no idea what lies beyond the first 2 feet

Cut down on the pies then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    I use the Chinese takeaway trays too, plus the obligatory old tobacco tins.

I put up a 10x8 man-shed last year, first time I've had a proper space to keep my tools and equipment in. I put in loads of power sockets and decent lighting too. Previously I've always had to move out lots of bikes, barbecue and other assorted piles of crap from the garage before I could do any work, so this is great. We"re currently having the kitchen extended and the units replaced so I've saved some of the old ones to put up in my shed.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I use plastic takeaway tubs for nuts & bolts too. Plus I keep empty ones for putting the bits in when I take something apart so I know where to look for them when putting it back together.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    boogieman said:

I put up a 10x8 man-shed last year, first time I've had a proper space to keep my tools and equipment in. I put in loads of power sockets and decent lighting too. Previously I've always had to move out lots of bikes, barbecue and other assorted piles of crap from the garage before I could do any work, so this is great. We"re currently having the kitchen extended and the units replaced so I've saved some of the old ones to put up in my shed.
    Hi @boogieman, how did you get the power to the shed?

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    equalsql;663722" said:
    boogieman said:

I put up a 10x8 man-shed last year, first time I've had a proper space to keep my tools and equipment in. I put in loads of power sockets and decent lighting too. Previously I've always had to move out lots of bikes, barbecue and other assorted piles of crap from the garage before I could do any work, so this is great. We"re currently having the kitchen extended and the units replaced so I've saved some of the old ones to put up in my shed.Hi @boogieman, how did you get the power to the shed?
    I used armoured cable, fed from a spare way in the supply that goes to the garage. That's fed from an RCD indoors so it's all safe. You could also do it with Twin & Earth inside plastic conduit as long as it's all sealed and weatherproofed properly and protected by an RCD. I had the cable already.