• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Anyone successfully use the helix live?
    Every week, it is a my A rig
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Cabicular said:
    Anyone successfully use the helix live?
    Every week, it is a my A rig
    Same here, gigged every week, use it in various guises - 4CM, direct etc etc.

Wonderful piece of gear and just about to get better with the new update..
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Same here, haven't used an amp or a pedal since I bought it 6 months ago.  The first few gigs were OK, but now I've got it sounding amazing, it sounds better than any 'real' setup I've ever used
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Interesting comments @Cabicular @welshboyo and @John_A .

I note that at least two of you have previously commented that you only use one (or maybe a couple) of different patches with a big train of the on-board effects on one or two paths. So what's the advantage to you of the Helix over an amp and pedalboard, in effect the same setup? As far as I can see it's just the amp head that's the difference, as you still use power amps and cabs in your stage setup.

How long did it take you to set up the whole gig-ready sound that you're now happy with from your "one" patch? If you started from scratch creating another patch (with different amp module) how much editing would it take you to arrive at your perfect gig ready sound.

I ask this as (though I don't gig) it takes me quite a while on each patch to get the sound from each patch that I'm happy with.
    Is there a single block that is key to this - say a final EQ block, or a Cab block?  
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    MtB said:
    Interesting comments @Cabicular @welshboyo and @John_A .

I note that at least two of you have previously commented that you only use one (or maybe a couple) of different patches with a big train of the on-board effects on one or two paths. So what's the advantage to you of the Helix over an amp and pedalboard, in effect the same setup? As far as I can see it's just the amp head that's the difference, as you still use power amps and cabs in your stage setup.

How long did it take you to set up the whole gig-ready sound that you're now happy with from your "one" patch? If you started from scratch creating another patch (with different amp module) how much editing would it take you to arrive at your perfect gig ready sound.

I ask this as (though I don't gig) it takes me quite a while on each patch to get the sound from each patch that I'm happy with.
    Is there a single block that is key to this - say a final EQ block, or a Cab block?  
    Routing

Ability to go direct whilst still using amp (no more mic placement, constant volume/signal every night - it's a set and forget for me)

Access to more FX than I could ever get on a single pedalboard

Ability to tweak said FX on a per scene/snapshot basis (I can have a higher mix of delay in my solo snapshot rather than my rhythm snapshot)

Never have to worry about backup rigs anymore - it's a foot tap or 2 away

5 minute set-up time with amp(I shit you not! - it's put Helix on floor, plug in cables, turn on and go)

I found the secret to the direct stuff was IR's, couldn't get on at all with the onboard cabs - I really struggled, with the Ownhammer IR's it just came to life, no EQ, no Hi/Lo cuts it's just right - this is obviously down to personal taste as some on here find the onboard cabs just as good, I didn't...

It took me a night's tweaking with a few q's to get it totally gig ready - once you can get your head around the flexibility and the fact that you can route anything almost anywhere then it's a piece of piss to use!! I have now on many occasions built patches from scratch and used them at a gig whilst the drummer is still setting up his kit!!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28293
    MtB said:

There's the snapshots - not just turning multiple blocks on and off together, but changing their settings. That's essentially impossible with a conventional pedalboard.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    As the rest say The flexibility
    The ability to have a 3part harmoniser and then be able to change the key by holding in a momentary footswitch
    i have a footswitch set to whammy +12 momentary
    stereo choruses, stereo flangers all different settings

Even if you ignore the amp modelling, there is no other unit that gives you the capability with FX
    none and I owned a G SYSTEM and an FX8

For me it's simplicity of set-up (5 minutes and I'm ready to go) , less gear to carry round, the ability to keep on-stage volume low therefore a much better balance out front, and flexibility, I use snapshots to swap amps, and to change settings on amps and FX on the fly.

I don't use real amps any more, just a monitor feed in to my monitor (a DXR10) and it sounds great.

It took me a few days to get something I was happy to gig with, but I do keep tweaking and it just gets better and better, my sound is now a lot better than when I was using real amps 

If I'm recording and want something a bit different creating a new patch will take a matter of minutes

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thanks for the responses all. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28293
    @TimmyO

You lazy git.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So...what's this Helix thing then?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Sporky said:
    @TimmyO

You lazy git.
    eyethangewe
    Red ones are better. 
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    edited February 2017
    Digital Igloo on the Line6 forums said:

The Bad News: We more than likely won't be hitting the February cutoff for Helix FW 2.20. In creating Variax Workbench support and MIDI Clock, we realized there were fundamental code changes required to make future development of the platform faster, easier, and more stable.

The Good News: 2.20 will now include three additional models we didn't announce at NAMM:

• Dynamics > 3-Band Comp (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original multiband compressor
    • Modulation > PlastiChorus (Mono, Stereo), based on* the modded Arion SCH-Z chorus
    • Pitch/Synth > 3 Note Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original—similar to 2.20's 4 OSC Generator, except you can select pitches via note instead of Hz (and even glide between two notes over time)

For those keeping score, 2.20 will now include 6 new amps, 7 new Hybrid cabs, and 9 new effects. Ben and Sam have already begun creating models for 2.30.

There's no official timeline for release but unless something totally blows up, March for sure.

Looking forward to the new bass preamps, pitch synths and finally having access to the Variax workbench through the Helix, shocking this wasn't in there from day one.

Very nice that these updates are free, given that Line 6 have mostly charged in the past for extra models. I wonder, is this a result of being owned by Yamaha now, or just a change in company policy?

EDIT: Full list of new models/cabs/amps: http://line6.com/support/topic/25218-preview—helix-fw-220-the-get-low-update/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cost of the unit perhaps? It must be the most expensive box they have done so Dev cost built in?
    edited February 2017
    Is this right - no Mac drivers?? 

Red ones are better. 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Bit disappointed that no one mentioned the only review that really matters:

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's class compliant, doesn't need 'drivers'
    John_A said:
    So why are there Windows drivers? 

And this thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/16894-helix-usb-and-the-mac/ ;

Seems like pretty poor form... I'm out 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    TimmyO said:
    John_A said:
    So why are there Windows drivers? 

And this thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/16894-helix-usb-and-the-mac/ ;

Seems like pretty poor form... I'm out 
    Works perfectly on my MacBook Pro.. 
  • TimmyO said:
    Is this right - no Mac drivers?? 

I use it on with a Mac Mini - no issues at all. Been flawless with both reaper and logic x