Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    I think some of the tones Paul gets in this are excellent, and looks like all pretty basic patches:

Nice Looper Jam at the end too.
    He was up on stage with me last month and even though he was using pretty much identical kit his tone was massive
    its really annoying
    i don't know if it is because he spends all day with it or if he just has a knack. He's been able to get sounds out the pod HD500X where I couldn't get that to work for me at all
    It's interesting, because through the video you can see the patches and it looks like very little fancy stuff going on. All stock cabs and none of the "tricks" etc. The Les Paul at the end sounded particularly good I thought.
    I can always ask him what his go to tweaks are
    We are so busy these days we hardly get a chance to catch up. He's playing with the plug in at the mo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    I think some of the tones Paul gets in this are excellent, and looks like all pretty basic patches:

He was up on stage with me last month and even though he was using pretty much identical kit his tone was massive
    its really annoying
    i don't know if it is because he spends all day with it or if he just has a knack. He's been able to get sounds out the pod HD500X where I couldn't get that to work for me at all
    It's interesting, because through the video you can see the patches and it looks like very little fancy stuff going on. All stock cabs and none of the "tricks" etc. The Les Paul at the end sounded particularly good I thought.
    I can always ask him what his go to tweaks are
    We are so busy these days we hardly get a chance to catch up. He's playing with the plug in at the mo
    Well, if you are mates, then get him to reveal all!! Would be interesting. :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    Cabicular said:

its really annoying

@Digital_igloo You really ought to get him to do some tone tutorials. He demos the unit, in terms of sound, better than anyone.
    Agreed - spoke with him at the Birmingham guitar show and he showed me all the amazing routing stuff that was possible, and his stage demo was great 
    Red ones are better. 
    Here's what he says

I gravitate towards that basketweave 4x12 and roll off all the highs

I take them down to about 4.5k

But it changes

No really method 

its different model to model

I also like the sag down

Bias is worth a fiddle too

Usually high setting in that for me
    ------------------
    You can download a lot of his patches from the custom tones site for free

• vaticancameosvaticancameos Frets: 186
    edited April 2017
    Do the Mission pedals that say they're for the rack unit, work with the standalone floor unit?
    Do the Mission pedals that say they're for the rack unit, work with the standalone floor unit?
    Yes although the toe switch doesn't do anything 
    for the floor unit more or less any exp pedal will do
    The inbuilt one on the floor unit has a toe switch
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    edited April 2017
    Cabicular said:
    Yes although the toe switch doesn't do anything 
    for the floor unit more or less any exp pedal will do
    The inbuilt one on the floor unit has a toe switch
    From what I've read most Exp pedals are wired TRS, whereas L6 expects TS.
    Folks have reported odd behaviour (kind of 0-100-0 sweep iirc) using normak Exp pedals.

Others say they easily rewired the jack to work with Helix.

not managed to work it out for myself tbh.

Apparently the Line6 EX1 works (the cheapish plastic one) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    The one for the Helix has a TS connector for the expression and another TS connector for the footswitch (which you connect to EXP3).

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/specific-use-exp/ep1-tc/?v=79cba1185463

So yes, it'll work with Helix Floor. The switch won't work with Helix LT.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Cabicular said:

its really annoying

@Digital_igloo You really ought to get him to do some tone tutorials. He demos the unit, in terms of sound, better than anyone.
    Paul's given people his patches before. Hit him up on FB and he'll probably send them to you to reverse-engineer.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Sporky said:
    The one for the Helix has a TS connector for the expression and another TS connector for the footswitch (which you connect to EXP3).

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/specific-use-exp/ep1-tc/?v=79cba1185463

So yes, it'll work with Helix Floor. The switch won't work with Helix LT.
    Sorry maybe I'm being thick but, the toe-switch would work with the full-size Helix?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    Yes - you put the expression output into the EXP2 jack on the Helix, and the switch output into the EXP3 jack.
    Then it's just a case of setting up the controllers.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    For simple curiosity I bought 3 of Marco Fanton's patches. The Uber, the Brownsound, and the Fatality.

Funnily enough my headphones didn't really like them until I changed the IR (now @Sporky will be laughing at my AKGs) and then I did. I tried different IRs as I didn't want to tweak the patch EQ settings for this experiment.

Then I tried them with no IR or cab and ran them into my Zilla 2x12 and they sounded very good. 

What struck me was that they seemed to have been created at high volume - less gain, more dynamics than I would have set for an at home low volume sound where I usually just go apeshit.

As I turned the volume up they got better and more (I don't want to use the word but I'm too tired to think of an alternative) realistic.

Im particularly enjoying the Brownsound cranked loud - It's quite handy that I'm a walking cheesefest of cliche 80s rock licks!
  • I'm yet another recent convert. I've had a Kemper for a few years, which I love, but it's the form factor, workflow and computer editing that really make me like the Helix.  I'm yet to find a sound that blew me away the first time I tried the famous Morgan AC20 Kemper profile, but I've only scratched the surface of the Helix.

I've been learning a lot by playing around with other people's patches from the Line 6 website. which gets me thinking, with so many users on here, shall we start a Fretboard Helix Patch sharing thread with links to our patches, IRs, etc?
    We could use the custom tone site and tag them
    FbHelix or summit
    mine are all pretty utilitarian but I've done a couple to do twin harmonies with toggles etc
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    Nice idea!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Cabicular said:
    Vaiai said:
    Thanks for the advice - I was not gonna use my existing presets for 4CM but I never thought to split before the cab and send that out.
    I was gonna just start with some of the templates then built a few presets myself.

You want a copy of my presets?
    Yeah - that would be great. I had it into our PA at the rehearsal room last night - certainly simple enough to hook up and get noise out of! I noticed it's DXR12's they have there too. I could easily live with the cleans and fx but I had some trouble getting gain sounds I liked - The Trooper preset wasn't bad and I noticed the Brit 2204 was present in most of the ones I liked - I didn't get a chance to build anything from scratch and was only using stock sounds.

Didn't find many lead sounds that inspired me and only had a quick play with the settings for cabs. Would be interesting to hear your actual presets tho Cabicular. Oh, and Paul H gave Rob at GG in Glasgow his Helix presets so maybe have a wee chat with him :)
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited April 2017
    POTENTIALLY DUMB QUESTION ALERT...

Partly thanks to @cabicular (  B ) I have a stereo amp set-up that I'm very happy with and don't really want to change, so is it possible (via the the Helix's multiple Send/Return ins and outs) to do this;

Guitar > Helix pre-amp/overdrive/distortion models > Both amps front ends > Amps FX loops Send > Helix time-based effects > Amps FX loops Return > (power amp, speakers, etc, etc...)

All help gratefully received...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    POTENTIALLY DUMB QUESTION ALERT...

Partly thanks to @cabicular (  B) ) I have a stereo amp set-up that I'm very happy with and don't really want to change, so is it possible (via the the Helix's multiple Send/Return ins and outs) to do this;

Guitar > Helix pre-amp/overdrive/distortion models > Both amps front ends > Amps FX loops Send > Helix time-based effects > Amps FX loops Return > Speakers

All help gratefully received...
    Absolutley just put a stereo send block in for sends 1 and two and take them to the amp front ends, put a return block from the FX loop sends where ever you fancy. Plumb in your loop FX and then put another send block back to the returns
    A lot of cables and worth getting a couple of isolators (bright onion) just to deal with any ground loops that are introduced

Coming over to the dark side mate ;) ?
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Cabicular said:

Coming over to the dark side mate ;) ?

Potentially. ;)

The integration / simplification of gear was already a massive draw - but now I've caught-up with things like amp-blending via the expression pedal, I'm as good as sold.  :)
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    There is an argument for taking two cables out and running straight to the FX returns of the two rocks
    It's quite a good argument too.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom