Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Cabicular said:
    Doesn't look difficult though

If bass players can manage it, what does that say about Americans
    Hey whoah!

Us bass players are meticulous in our accuracy. We manage to get through a whole song playing just a few notes repeatedly. Following methodical steps is fine for us.

I suspect the reason the updates go wrong is the number of guitarists adding an extra superfluous 150 steps and improvising their way all over a set of instructions that didn't need it...
    What's more likely is the guitarists are learning how to do the first one or two steps then winging the rest of it
    Lol - presumably distracted by all the girls they get at the same time. In their bedroom..
    Bassist can get the Girls too
    Take Rick James for example ..... 
    I think this is the point when @mikeyrob73 steps in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited April 2017

edited April 2017

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Posting images via the phone is such a pain :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Cabicular said:
    Was worth the effort tho ;)
    Cabicular said:
    Was worth the effort tho ;)
    I Love Dave Chappelles Rick James stuff
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Ok, back to the Helix :)
    I tried recording in Reaper last week - no problem - sound went in fine - but when I tried to playback I couldn't unless I unplugged the Helix and changed the output on my PC back to speakers - I am using the Helix specific driver. I was not using headphones tho - does it all work thru the phones? Just connected with USB btw - not using an interface.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Cabicular said:
    Doesn't look difficult though

If bass players can manage it, what does that say about Americans
    Hey whoah!

Us bass players are meticulous in our accuracy. We manage to get through a whole song playing just a few notes repeatedly. Following methodical steps is fine for us.

I suspect the reason the updates go wrong is the number of guitarists adding an extra superfluous 150 steps and improvising their way all over a set of instructions that didn't need it...
    What's more likely is the guitarists are learning how to do the first one or two steps then winging the rest of it
    Lol - presumably distracted by all the girls they get at the same time. In their bedroom..
    Bassist can get the Girls too
    Take Rick James for example ..... 
    I think this is the point when @mikeyrob73 steps in...

do I have to read the whole post to get the joke? 
    Vaiai said:
    I tried recording in Reaper last week - no problem - sound went in fine - but when I tried to playback I couldn't unless I unplugged the Helix and changed the output on my PC back to speakers - I am using the Helix specific driver. I was not using headphones tho - does it all work thru the phones? Just connected with USB btw - not using an interface.
    Should be fine
    you should be able to use USB 1\2 to return the signal unless you have changed your output block to exclude it
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Finally played a Helix yesterday through my mates Firehawk amp.
    Some fantastic sounds in there and great amps, banks and banks of awful stuff he's downloaded too mind, but some great patches.
    Love it but deciding if it's overkill for my needs.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Cabicular said:
    Vaiai said:
    Should be fine
    you should be able to use USB 1\2 to return the signal unless you have changed your output block to exclude it
    Should I be able to hear it on my PC or is it just in the headphones? When playing there was huge latency but in the manual it says to use headphones to ear it "live" - I presume I'd hear my backing track in there too?

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited May 2017
    Vaiai said:
    Cabicular said:
    Vaiai said:
    Ok, back to the Helix
    Should be fine
    Should I be able to hear it on my PC or is it just in the headphones? When playing there was huge latency but in the manual it says to use headphones to ear it "live" - I presume I'd hear my backing track in there too?

UPDATE: ***I've modified my previous post because, I've now read the relevant section in the Helix LT manual it's much easy than I previously described***. Definitely a case of, I should have RTFM :)

Previously I worked out my own method, which was more complicated than necessary.  But it's neat that the Helix GUI and routing is so logical that it's easy to work things out from first principles and there's lots of flexibility and more than one way of doing things.

Here's an easier Reaper/Helix method than I originally posted:

I monitored using the Helix headphone output, but I could have connected the 1/4 jack, phones or XLR outputs to my powered monitors if I wanted to. The monitoring system needs to be connected to one of the Helix outputs.

Pic 1 shows the settings I made in Reaper Preferences.

Pic 2 shows a simple Helix routing. Just select Multi as the Input and Output and that invokes USB channel 1 and 2.

Pic 3 shows that in Reaper, I can select Inputs 1 and 2 if I want the processed signal (post amp and cab) as Track 1 in Reaper. Alternatively, if I select Input 7 (Track 2 in Pic 2), I get the unprocessed guitar giving the option of re-amping.

I've experimented by playing along to an Addictive Drums midi track and hear no latency and it's all in sync.

Pic 1 - Reaper Preference Settings

Pic 2 - Helix Routing (simple example)

Pic 3 - Reaper Track Settings
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27094
    Has anyone got a whammy working that doesn't sound shit? I didn't expect polyphonic Whammy V stuff but it's worse than the M9 model was.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm just curious, i've tried to search for the answer but can't seem to find it (I'm thick  )
    If i wanted to have one patch just using a say the Helix ts808  going into the front of my amp with for instance a chorus in the amps effects loop, then another to switch to using the helix amp models bypassing my amp's pre amp and going straight into the effects return, would that work? Is it possible? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28370
    Yes, but better to do that in a single patch with two snapshots. Switching between patches isn't instant, but you can make huge changes instantly with snapshots. And that'd be easy to do with snapshots.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Thanks mate. I'm now another step closer to splurging out for one. But just trying to wrap my head around what it can do and the possibilities. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28370
    There's not a whole lot it can't do. If it helps, my just-noodling patch, which replicates my old pedalboard, has a wah, two compressors, octave, EQ, four drive pedals, two tremolos, a phaser, two delays, reverb, and an amp with two cabs. That's not quite maxed out the Helix. One footswitch turns the whole thing into a bass simulator, the two tremolos are switched together (for wub-WUB-wub-WUB noises) and various things get controlled by the expression pedal.

Also it is genuinely easy to set all of that up.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Fantastic, thanks mate. I'm seriously tempted, especially now the LT has come out.
    Has anyone got a whammy working that doesn't sound shit? I didn't expect polyphonic Whammy V stuff but it's worse than the M9 model was.
    Don't put it where you would normally put it in the chain
    it works better later on (I don't know what your chain is but some of my patches have it after the amp ! )