Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    Good idea, thanks
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    I'm ever closer to pulling the trigger... Don't think i've ever been this hesitant to buy anything, then again it's not a small amount of money. 
    I also have another question, if you don't mind. I think i have a case it will fit quite snugly in, but im not sure of the height - Internetz is telling me 3.7 inches, does that include the expression pedal? 
    Thanks
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    nick79 said:
    I'm ever closer to pulling the trigger... Don't think i've ever been this hesitant to buy anything, then again it's not a small amount of money. 
    I also have another question, if you don't mind. I think i have a case it will fit quite snugly in, but im not sure of the height - Internetz is telling me 3.7 inches, does that include the expression pedal? 
    Thanks

Just measured mine, looks like that does include the pedal.  Maybe even a little bit less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Great, thanks @John_A  :)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737
    fnpt said:
    I have the LT and one thing I miss is the mic input for my acoustic guitar. Is there a cable that can convert a xlr signal into a ts signal?

If you haven't already, it's worth trying the 3 Sigma acoustic IR's. 

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/acoustic-impulses/

• fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    Thanks, will check it out 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    Anyone got any tips for recording with the Helix?  I've currently got a Steingerg UR22, and just found out you can only use one ASIO driver at a time in Cubase.  So hooked up my Helix and it records really well over USB, but the one thing I miss is on the Stenberg it has a mix knob to set the balance of the input Vs the mix, got round that (sort of) by messing with my patch volume, but is there a better way?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    edited July 2017
    where are you monitoring - on your PC/Cubase or phones in the Helix?
    The latter may be best - by default the playback will be coming back to Helix on USB 1/2 - turn off monitoring of that track in Cubase, monitor it (and the mix) from Helix headphone output. Control mix level either in Cubase (simplest) or in USB1/2 input level in globals on Helix
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 399

Got some new toys today; a Fishman Triple Play and a TC Mimiq.

Been using the Helix to run pianos, strings and all manner of instruments through and it's so much fun. Fantastic how seamless it all works together. I don't think I'm short of an option or two now...

I was wondering though, is there a way to setup a footswitch that will act as a momentary MIDI switch? I.e. when pressed will send a value of 127 and when depressed send a value of 0 (this is the MIDI command to enable sustain on the Triple Play). Only way I've found at the minute is to set it as a CC Toggle, which works but isn't ideal.

And now about the Mimiq, does anyone have experience in using one with the Helix? Looking for suggestions for where to place it as 4 fx loops just sometimes isn't enough. I've got the Timeline and Bigsky together occupying 2 fx loops, so that leaves me 2 more for the Mobius, Sub n Up and Mimiq.

I'm thinking mono out to the Mobius with the Sub n Up in the Mobius's loop, going into the Mimiq and then out in stereo. 

Or I could stick it in stereo before the Timeline.

Or mono out to Sub n Up, to Mimiq, stereo out to Mobius..?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    where are you monitoring - on your PC/Cubase or phones in the Helix?
    The latter may be best - by default the playback will be coming back to Helix on USB 1/2 - turn off monitoring of that track in Cubase, monitor it (and the mix) from Helix headphone output. Control mix level either in Cubase (simplest) or in USB1/2 input level in globals on Helix

Thanks - I'm monitoring from the PC.  Just tracking guitars at the moment so would rather not use headphones, when I get to vocals I'll probably go back to the UR22, unless there are some of the preamp models in Helix (studio preamp) that are great for vocals
    btw when I said 'that track' I meant the guitar tone track, not USB1/2
    Red ones are better. 
  • grammargrammar Frets: 27

And now about the Mimiq, does anyone have experience in using one with the Helix? Looking for suggestions for where to place it as 4 fx loops just sometimes isn't enough. I've got the Timeline and Bigsky together occupying 2 fx loops, so that leaves me 2 more for the Mobius, Sub n Up and Mimiq.

Any particular reason you want the Timeline and Big Sky in loops? If they're not before the amp block it makes no difference whether they're infront or behind the cab.
    TimmyO said:
    btw when I said 'that track' I meant the guitar tone track, not USB1/2

Yes, I got that.  I still cant figure out how to adjust the relative levels of the guitar against the stuff coming off Cubase.  Thanks again
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 399
    grammar said:

Any particular reason you want the Timeline and Big Sky in loops? If they're not before the amp block it makes no difference whether they're infront or behind the cab.
    Mainly for recording into Logic and the occasional use of the Helix looper. Also it's nice to do the Devin Townsend thing of delay, reverb, delay (timeline -> big sky -> helix delay).
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited July 2017
    For anyone who might be curious, I have the full Helix and the Novation 25 Keyboard bag.

Helix + Bag = 7.85kg
    Helix + Bag + power cables + speaker cable + audio cables = 10.1kg

There is a noticeable difference in weight with and without the cables.

To put that in perspective:

Pedaltrain Metro 24 + Softcase + PSU + Expression pedal + Timeline + Boss pedal + Source Audio Nemesis + Polara + Polytune Mini + two MXR pedals = 7.15kg

So not a whole lot of difference in it in terms of weight, but the Helix is FAR more capable. If you added a Boss MS-3 to give you all the extra stuff the Helix offers (sans workflow) for example, you'd be about 2-3kg heavier than the Helix + Backpack solution.
    For anyone who didn't see it on the FB group, there has been an update on Helix Native :-1: 

Hey guys. A quick update on where Helix Native at. This is from Eric I am just cross posting so you guys have the latest:•Helix Native has been 100% feature complete for weeks; it's all bug fixes and optimization now
    •One major DSP bug is still being hunted down, and there are a handful of smaller, less mission critical bugs; the PM (not me) determines when the current state is release-ready
    •1.0 will support 16 lanes of automation control
    •Snapshots, the tuner, and MIDI control have all been deferred to a post-1.0 release
    •Helix Native will ship at 1.0; Helix Core (the engine behind everything) will follow Helix Hardware release numbers... so 2.21.
    •Ben helped design improved input metering to incentivize users to set levels appropriately; otherwise, it's too easy to follow the catastrophic "track everything as loud as possible" guideline and make everything sound like crap. We strongly recommend optimizing input levels, especially on dry tracks for re-amping
    •I've also been using it nearly every night on vocals, keys, drums, and busses
    •I think Helix Native will ship with vocal presets; we're debating on whether or not we should include them in a future Helix hardware update
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Thanks for posting that.

I'm surprised they're planning to launch it without a tuner but most DAWs have a tuner anyway so it's probably not an issue for most users.
    No tuner!  Deal-breaker ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    The Helix tuner is a bit pants anyway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    In what way?