Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Cabicular said:
    So I was trying to get a kind of roaring Marshall sound tonight but all of the Marshall amp models seem to be very flubby in the low end...I've tried low cut but it doesn't seem to tighten it up...what do people do to get that tone?
    Stick a tubescreamer in front of it
    Low gain
    tone about 6-7 
    volume to taste but quite high 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ..just like in the real world eh? Who'd have thunk it? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing can't be solved by sticking a tubescreamer in front of it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tried a tubescreamer..still flub city. Is that how they are meant to sound?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Tried a tubescreamer..still flub city. Is that how they are meant to sound?
    No, they are meant too roar like a rockstar Marshall, and they do.

What are you playing it through?
    What amp model & settings are you using?
    What cab/settings are you using?
    Hows the tubescreamer set?

• Does Helix have an SD-1? I often use that with similar results on the Axe FX. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • John_A said:
    Tried a tubescreamer..still flub city. Is that how they are meant to sound?
    No, they are meant too roar like a rockstar Marshall, and they do.

What are you playing it through?
    What amp model & settings are you using?
    What cab/settings are you using?
    Hows the tubescreamer set?

Playing it through either the power stage of the TH30 or a Magnum44 -> Marshall 1936v (no emulated cab). Sounds the same through headphones though (1960 4x12 cab).

Tried all of the Marshall amps and they all have a similar flubbiness on the low end. Almost sounds like a fuzz...kind of breaking up. Tried messing with the setting generally but I don't think I've played with sag or hum yet. I'll try that later.

Tried all sorts of settings on the TS - doesn't really touch the flubbiness. Also, I don't like tubescreamers...to my ears they make everything sound nasal. In the way, the helix model is very accurate! :)
  • @gearaddict have you played with the SAG settings etc? They make quite a difference to the fulb. Though I have to say, I think the Marshall models are the helix weak point. I've had best results with the Line 6 own amp that is based on a marshall rather than modelled on one (can't remember the name). But now I run my Gurus DD1959 in a loop.

To be fair, I avoid Marshalls in real life because of the flub.
  • Definitely try reduced sag settings. I found I did that to most higher gain amp models when testing Native.
  • @gearaddict have you tried getting the sound you need out of the Soldano model instead? Unsure if it'll be too high gain or not for what you're looking for, but IMO it's the best distortion amp in there
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Things that helped me:

1. Set the input to only the one you're using (say the 1/4 one)

2. Set the volume knob not to control your output

3. Experiment with the input impedance setting, I took it off auto and preferred 1Mohm

4. Studio compressor at the front of the chain and always on, just smoothing things out.

5. No high cut or anything

6. For me the gain number on the amps is 'too high', I run plenty of amps with the gain < 5 (almost all I think), more than that and there's too much compression

7. Sag between 5-7, I like the feel (steady!)

8. Watch the master volume, I used to dime that, it compresses too much - maybe halfway?

9. Use the amp like a real one, meaning most pre-90's Marshalls you'd have a drive in front of them. I love the TS and the Klon (as in real life), but the OCD is also really good with the gain right down.

My high gain sound is the Jump'd Plexi, both gains near max - but master around halfway, with a boost in front - instant  VH.

Also it's worth starting with an empty chain, that really helped me, start with just a reverb, get that sounding natural and ok, then gradually add the amps and effects - really helped me with the gain structure.

Finally, check out Glenn Delane - I got some of his presets, they're really, really good - and I ripped off a lot of ideas from him!

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    fnpt said:
    I'm pretty upset. The pedal in my Helix LT just broke down after a few days with a crackling noise. I will now have to return it to Thomann and see what they say. I bought as B-stock and a very slight crackling has always been there and I thought it would go away with use. However, it got worse in the last few days as I have been using it for a couple of songs. 
    Thomann has replied saying that they will repair the unit. 3-4 weeks minimum. I thought that, since it's still under warranty I could I ask for a replacement unit? Also, they will try to fix it themselves before sending it to Line 6 if unable to.

Should I demand Thomann a new unit?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    fnpt said:
    I'm pretty upset. The pedal in my Helix LT just broke down after a few days with a crackling noise. I will now have to return it to Thomann and see what they say. I bought as B-stock and a very slight crackling has always been there and I thought it would go away with use. However, it got worse in the last few days as I have been using it for a couple of songs. 
    Thomann has replied saying that they will repair the unit. 3-4 weeks minimum. I thought that, since it's still under warranty I could I ask for a replacement unit? Also, they will try to fix it themselves before sending it to Line 6 if unable to.

Should I demand Thomann a new unit?
    Generally new unit only if DOA, anything else will be repair. If repair not possible/expensive, they may ship you a refurbed or new unit.
    That means a full month at the very least playing my acoustic . The Helix is currently my only amp with my Laney needing to have the thermistor replaced.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    @Digital_Igloo Looking on the web, there seems to be a few cases of damaged expression pedals in the LT. Is this something that Line 6 has addressed? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not too keen on the idea of having to send the LT back and forth to Thomann to get it fixed if this is a conceptual error by Line 6.

The use of an external expression pedal is also less than satisfactory because of the added cost and space requirement, not to mention that it will not operate in the same way as the onboard pedal.
    ____
  • Does anyone use the Helix rack without the floor controller?

I'd only be using one for recording and home noodling and I'm just wondering how much of a faff it is to use on it's own...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Does anyone use the Helix rack without the floor controller?

I'd only be using one for recording and home noodling and I'm just wondering how much of a faff it is to use on it's own...

I used a behringer FCB1010 with the rack for a while. its perfectly functional if you just want to swap between snapshots.

But the dedicated floor controller just opens up so many more possibilities.

Is there any particular reason that you're buying the rack unit over buying the Helix Native plugin?  http://uk.line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

If you already have an audio interface, mic pres, and DI's you're happy with, and only want to record, it might make sense to consider the plugin.

There's a 15 day demo of the plugin which I'd recommend you try before buying the unit anyway, the sounds are the same (just set the gain staging correctly inside the plugin)

I imagine it will work just fine unless you want to change patches with your foot. 

I generally use the PC app to edit patches anyway, and only use the Control for live. 

R. 

Is there any particular reason that you're buying the rack unit over buying the Helix Native plugin?  http://uk.line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

If you already have an audio interface...

You've hit the nail on the head: I need the hardware for all the ins, outs and general connectivity.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.