Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah I knew I should've waited longer to demo Native
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
    Drew_TNBD said:
    According to Frank over at TGP, the next firmware will have 7 new amps and 7 new effects.
    I've also heard that FW version 3.0 will drop before Christmas...

I'm personally hoping for a Silver Jubilee, as well as Friedman and Suhr amps, and also the level monitor that I have heard rumours about....!
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    According to Frank over at TGP, the next firmware will have 7 new amps and 7 new effects.
    hmm, I imagine that updates will be a little slower now they have to work on 3 platforms... I'm not too fussed about more, but I would like better pitch shifting and better modulated reverb. 

Regardless, will be excited to see what they have in store.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    hmm, I imagine that updates will be a little slower now they have to work on 3 platforms... I'm not too fussed about more, but I would like better pitch shifting and better modulated reverb. 

Regardless, will be excited to see what they have in store.
    Nah, all the code is most likely common. Development shouldn't be much more complex, but QA will take longer I'd expect.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Does anyone care to share any tips on how to get a nice bass sound? Favourite amps, routing, effects, etc?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    fnpt said:
    Does anyone care to share any tips on how to get a nice bass sound? Favourite amps, routing, effects, etc?

I believe @fretmeister has done a fair bit of bass playing on helix
    FarleyUK said:

I'm trying to replicate this rig:

http://images.equipb...pg?v=1424625771

One thing I thought about, is that in the Helix we typically have the amp block followed by a cab / IR block... but I'm wondering about having the cab or IR block as the last block in the signal path, kind of similar to how the rig in the link would work (looks like all FX are front of amp as well I think).

Anyone tried it with cab at the end of the path? To me it would seem more like a natural thing, as the signal would hit the amp, then the 'FX loop' area in the helix between the amp and cab.

...or am I over-thinking this? 

Here's what I've got so far... although only managed to get one amp in there, as I run out of DSP!

The EQ before the amp is simulating Aldrich's PQ3, with similar settings:

Actually sounds pretty decent through my Sony studio headphones...
  • So I was trying to get a kind of roaring Marshall sound tonight but all of the Marshall amp models seem to be very flubby in the low end...I've tried low cut but it doesn't seem to tighten it up...what do people do to get that tone?
    So perfectly accurate replica then? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, Input Pad on or off....?

What pickups is everyone running, and do you have it on or off?

I'm hearing lots of talk about gain staging, with people saying it helps to keep the gain staging under control. Sounds like there might be some kind of input meter in a forthcoming patch. Huzzah!
  • FarleyUK said:

I'm hearing lots of talk about gain staging, with people saying it helps to keep the gain staging under control. Sounds like there might be some kind of input meter in a forthcoming patch. Huzzah!
    I've read some of the septics on FB going on about it but they really are borderline hysterical half the time
    I have the input pad on. I tried both settings, on sounded better. I am going via the wireless system (G70) which level matches the strat vs the Feline vs the Gretches so it may not represent your setup
    Like everything with the Helix, there are few rules, try it and see if you like it.
    I'm now running setups that would be impossible in the physical world
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:

I've read some of the septics on FB going on about it but they really are borderline hysterical half the time
    I have the input pad on. I tried both settings, on sounded better. I am going via the wireless system (G70) which level matches the strat vs the Feline vs the Gretches so it may not represent your setup
    Like everything with the Helix, there are few rules, try it and see if you like it.
    Yeah, I'm running a G70 as well, but I use the input gain at +2 (as I think we discussed previously!).

To me, it just seemed that it takes away some of the growl if it's enabled. Will try rehearsal with it on, and see what I think after that though - even though my pups (Alnico 2 Pro Slash set) are not very hot.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:

Yeah, I'm running a G70 as well, but I use the input gain at +2 (as I think we discussed previously!).

To me, it just seemed that it takes away some of the growl if it's enabled. Will try rehearsal with it on, and see what I think after that though - even though my pups (Alnico 2 Pro Slash set) are not very hot.
    Sorry I forgot ! I think it introduces a fair amount of high end on. Most of my guitars are pretty bright anyway (n4, LP Artist etc) so I don't need it
    I'm looking to try an AX8 in comparison to my Helix, and possibly replace it. Anyone else here done that? From everything I've read and heard, the tones and the 'feel' of the AX8 seem better than the Helix.
  • FarleyUK said:
    I'm looking to try an AX8 in comparison to my Helix, and possibly replace it. Anyone else here done that? From everything I've read and heard, the tones and the 'feel' of the AX8 seem better than the Helix.

How complex are your patches in the Helix?

The only thing being that it's possible the AX8 DSP may or may not work out for you - I know it didn't for @Clarky he ended up needing to go stay Axe FX 2 instead of going Helix or AX8.  I got my Axe FX 2 prior to the release of AX8 or Helix, so never had to make the choice, but based on Native I do agree with the statement at least with regards to higher gain guitar amps.  IIRC @welshboyo switched from Fractal to Helix and ended up liking the Helix more, so I'm not sure how clear cut it'll be, it'll depend on your needs and tastes.

It might be worth creating a separate thread too just so it doesn't get too OT in here.  

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FarleyUK said:
    Had the two side-by side and it's really too close to call.  An Axe-8 that's been well programmed in the hands of a good player will sounds great, so will a Helix and Vice-Versa.  By all means give it a go, but if you're not getting anything that pleases you out of he Helix I wouldn't expect miracles out of the Axe-8
    FarleyUK said:

How complex are your patches in the Helix?

The only thing being that it's possible the AX8 DSP may or may not work out for you - I know it didn't for @Clarky he ended up needing to go stay Axe FX 2 instead of going Helix or AX8.  I got my Axe FX 2 prior to the release of AX8 or Helix, so never had to make the choice, but based on Native I do agree with the statement at least with regards to higher gain guitar amps.  IIRC @welshboyo switched from Fractal to Helix and ended up liking the Helix more, so I'm not sure how clear cut it'll be, it'll depend on your needs and tastes.

It might be worth creating a separate thread too just so it doesn't get too OT in here.  

Yeah, cheers - hoping to A/B the two units directly so I can decide based on my own experiences :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2017
    John_A said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Had the two side-by side and it's really too close to call.  An Axe-8 that's been well programmed in the hands of a good player will sounds great, so will a Helix and Vice-Versa.  By all means give it a go, but if you're not getting anything that pleases you out of he Helix I wouldn't expect miracles out of the Axe-8

Yeah it's subjective.

For some people there'll be nothing much in it and for others there'll be plenty, and potentially in either direction. 

As far as I'm concerned there are a bunch of amps I can pull up on the Fractal and get the sound and dynamics I want really fast.  With Native I'd spend several minutes trying to work out why I couldn't, and I just found it frustrating and extremely slow - part of that is the plugin interface (which won't apply here), which needs scrolling to reach all the amp controls I want to use.  But for the sounds I want there was more than enough in it for me.  .

For other sounds I like but don't use as much, less so - the Helix Vox models are pretty nice I thought and I've owned an AC30 before.  And for bass, currently I'd take a Helix over a Fractal (though it looks like Fractal might be starting to look at bass gear).  There are a load of good sounds in it. 

Just for higher gained modern rock sounds I think that's pretty much the Fractal's forte, there are 8 5150 channels, 7 Rectifier channels, 11 Boogie Mark, 7 Friedman, and 35+ Marshall models in there.  It probably is OTT, but the idea is if one doesn't work another will.  Realistically you only need a couple of models that work, but it can be faster trying different shades of that than trying to tweak advanced settings, or at least that's what I find anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Just for higher gained modern rock sounds I think that's pretty much the Fractal's forte, there are 8 5150 channels, 7 Rectifier channels, 11 Boogie Mark, 7 Friedman, and 35+ Marshall models in there.  It probably is OTT, but the idea is if one doesn't work another will.  Realistically you only need a couple of models that work, but it can be faster trying different shades of that than trying to tweak advanced settings, or at least that's what I find anyway.

FWIW regarding this point you still might prefer the Helix despite the Fractal having more choice.  I know Drew is also in to high gain sounds and he has preferred the Helix to both the Fractal and Kemper for when he's writing his song demos.  So it really does boil down to personal opinion and taste at the end of the day
  • I've watched a demo on YouTube that compares all 3....fractal, member and helix. Might have even been posted earlier in this thread....fractal and kemper both licked the helix for high gain rawk. But in all fairness they all sounded great. Plus the helix apparently has the easiest interface....
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    John_A said:
    FarleyUK said:

Yeah it's subjective.

For some people there'll be nothing much in it and for others there'll be plenty, and potentially in either direction. 

As far as I'm concerned there are a bunch of amps I can pull up on the Fractal and get the sound and dynamics I want really fast.  With Native I'd spend several minutes trying to work out why I couldn't, and I just found it frustrating and extremely slow - part of that is the plugin interface (which won't apply here), which needs scrolling to reach all the amp controls I want to use.  But for the sounds I want there was more than enough in it for me.  .

For other sounds I like but don't use as much, less so - the Helix Vox models are pretty nice I thought and I've owned an AC30 before.  And for bass, currently I'd take a Helix over a Fractal (though it looks like Fractal might be starting to look at bass gear).  There are a load of good sounds in it. 

Just for higher gained modern rock sounds I think that's pretty much the Fractal's forte, there are 8 5150 channels, 7 Rectifier channels, 11 Boogie Mark, 7 Friedman, and 35+ Marshall models in there.  It probably is OTT, but the idea is if one doesn't work another will.  Realistically you only need a couple of models that work, but it can be faster trying different shades of that than trying to tweak advanced settings, or at least that's what I find anyway.
    the other thing with the Axe-FX [don't know if it's the same with the AX-8] is the customisation..
    I have a JCM800 and set the Phase Inverter post master volume
    it goes nuts.. turns into this mental hi-gain beast..
    you have to do a few other things to keep the low in under control [like emulate a TS-808 set clean]..
    but it's awesome.. 
    play every note as if it were your first