Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Not the impression I got when I compared the Fremen IRs to the stock cabs...but maybe the stock cabs need to be tweaked to have a fighting chance because at their default settings its night and day with the IRs being a clear winner. The very least that tells me is that Fremens IRs at least are a more instant result if not just better. It'd rather suit me to come to the conclusions above - cos there's no more outlay needed, but well so far I'm over on the side of IRs..but I will have to have a play around with the stock cabs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also did my first gig with the Helix last night. 2 XLRs>PA and mono jack >AC30 normal input (no FX loop) sounded good, Singer said sounded great out front (methinks that'd be the PA he mostly heard)but my amp sound onstage was nice but the night before on Saturdays gig I just used my usual pedalboard > AC30 and this was definitely better (it was of course my usual sound) the Helix was close and very similar but not quite 100%....at least what I was getting on stage from my AC30. I could teak the Helix some more (and will) but going forward methinks the Helix will be what I planned for it - home studio/rehearsals. If I gig it I most likely will edge towards my 2 fave ODs in one of the Helix's loops and just use it for FX. The FX cant be faulted but the digital amps/cabs out of my setup aren't quite as good as the real thing...who'd have thunk it eh?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @siraxeman How have you cot this set-up?  Are you using a send from the Helix before the Helix amp/cab to go to your AC30 and a modelled AC30 to the PA?  Or are you running a Helix amp/cab in to the front of the AC30?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    siraxeman said:
    Also did my first gig with the Helix last night. 2 XLRs>PA and mono jack >AC30 normal input (no FX loop) sounded good, Singer said sounded great out front (methinks that'd be the PA he mostly heard)but my amp sound onstage was nice but the night before on Saturdays gig I just used my usual pedalboard > AC30 and this was definitely better (it was of course my usual sound) the Helix was close and very similar but not quite 100%....at least what I was getting on stage from my AC30. I could teak the Helix some more (and will) but going forward methinks the Helix will be what I planned for it - home studio/rehearsals. If I gig it I most likely will edge towards my 2 fave ODs in one of the Helix's loops and just use it for FX. The FX cant be faulted but the digital amps/cabs out of my setup aren't quite as good as the real thing...who'd have thunk it eh?
    To be honest, that's pretty much what I do. I just like having an amp on stage. It suits me and I know what I'm doing with it. The helix stays at home as the most wonderful practice, recording device ever invented. 
    John_A said:
    @siraxeman How have you cot this set-up?  Are you using a send from the Helix before the Helix amp/cab to go to your AC30 and a modelled AC30 to the PA?  Or are you running a Helix amp/cab in to the front of the AC30?
    Helix amp/IR in front of the AC30....as the modelled amp was providing the dirt! I know its the 'wrong way' but the only other way with amp with no FX loop is to run ODs from within the Helix into AC30 to the mono jack output...?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’ve got to manage the bands PA and lights as well so it suits me to have as compact a setup as possible
    I like having cabs on stage but it’s a luxury I can I’ll afford in terms of amount of gear and setup time
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I'm loving the portability and compactness of the Helix Rack + Control.

I have my own monitor, with the Helix in one input fed from the (variable) 1/4" output so I control my on-stage volume, and a mix from the main PA in the other input). The PA gets my XLR out (fixed level).

The Control has a relatively small footprint, and the case containing the Rack can be out of the way, off stage, leaving room for my triple guitar case :).

Set up and break down takes no time at all.

Plus, I get Fender cleans, tweedy crunch, Voxy chimes, and Marshall drive all in one box.

What's not to like?

R.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Did you get your joystick fixed @robinbowes ?
    siraxeman said:
    John_A said:
    Helix amp/IR in front of the AC30....as the modelled amp was providing the dirt! I know its the 'wrong way' but the only other way with amp with no FX loop is to run ODs from within the Helix into AC30 to the mono jack output...?
    Get a small, light FRFR monitor, it'll get you 99% of what you are used to with the ac30, and be much more portable. 
    how dem cost? I know you can get powered wedges pretty cheap off'ebay....basically a PA monitor is the same thing right? 
    Yep a PA monitor. Alto, and Db, are both good and cheap especially if you can find a used one.  I'm using a Db B-hype8 which are £150 new.  It's not phenomenally loud, it does me, but it depends how loud you want I suppose.  The Alto ts110 gets some good reviews.  I also have a Yamaha DXR10 which is great, and loud but the Db is a lot easier to carry ;)
    I love the Helix and can see it being with me for a long time to come....whether it becomes part of my live rig or not. I'll defo look at those monitors but don't wanna spend too much on one, certainly not £500+ and not sure I need dead loud as long as it can easily get over the top of a drummer it will serve its purpose. IEM's are another option I should look into...but of course they won't give me a speaker cab onstage to feedback off.......
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Alto TS208. Loud, tiny, looks smart, and has two XLR ins.
    The alto ts2210s are £240ish new, but there are bargains around, don't know where you are but this looks good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LD-Systems-MON-101-A-10-Active-Stage-Monitor-never-gigged-only-used-at-home-/282691740673?hash=item41d1bda401:g:MIAAAOSwivJZ33gb
    simonk said:
    Did you get your joystick fixed @robinbowes ?

I've logged it with the retailer and will be returning it shortly now I've got a bit of a break in gigging as our drummer is going away for a month.

R. 
  • Yamaha DXR10 is well thought of in these parts. Would be your best bet, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Yamaha DXR10 is well thought of in these parts. Would be your best bet, IMO.
    I have one and it's great, they aren't cheap though and for monitoring they're probably more than is needed for a lot of people
    John_A said:
    I have one and it's great, they aren't cheap though and for monitoring they're probably more than is needed for a lot of people
    I've not tried the DXR10, but my chosen wedge wasn't cheap either (HK Audio L5 112 XA). Having been a sound engineer in a previous life (I have a degree in Acoustics!) I have learned that buying cheap is a false economy. The HK L5 series pro-quality gear, very robust, and relatively compact (they're tall, but narrow).

I'm really happy with my current setup.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Depends, what you're wanting, I have the DXR because it's very good, and the little Db because it's good enough, small and light. 
  • John_A said:
    I've not tried the DXR10, but my chosen wedge wasn't cheap either (HK Audio L5 112 XA). Having been a sound engineer in a previous life (I have a degree in Acoustics!) I have learned that buying cheap is a false economy. The HK L5 series pro-quality gear, very robust, and relatively compact (they're tall, but narrow).

I'm really happy with my current setup.

R.
    That looks cool, wonder how it compares to the DXR10?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922