Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Hi All

I’m likely to become a Helix convert in the coming days - has anyone come across any material that’s particularly helpful for new owners? Either video tutorials or web pages etc?

Also be very keen to hear of anyone’s experiences with the Yamaha HS5 speakers.  

Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2018
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hi All

I’m likely to become a Helix convert in the coming days - has anyone come across any material that’s particularly helpful for new owners? Either video tutorials or web pages etc?

Cheers!
    Welcome to the fold @BRISTOL86 ;;

This thread, the Helix Forum, and the Helix Facebook Group have all been invaluable to me. There's some great YouTube content also.

Personally I found the HS5's a bit bass shy, which may suit you, or it may not. They're great speakers otherwise.

Edit: I know I've mentioned them before, but I much prefer the KRK Rokit 5's.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hi All

Cheers!

they are ok but only ok
    you would be much better off with MsP5s if you can get a secondhand one
    Thanks both :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    I had a couple of hours on a friends Helix last night. I seriously impressed by how easy it is to create or edit patches and how good some of the sounds are. I love the delays and I could get the verb to do some great ambient noises. The only thing wrong was at one point it froze and went completely unresponsive. Not one single control worked and only power cycling restored it back again. That's the first time it's froze on him though so it's not a common thing

The only thing I would like on it is a touch screen so you could drag and drop effects \ amps in the sequence you wanted. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    I had a couple of hours on a friends Helix last night. I seriously impressed by how easy it is to create or edit patches and how good some of the sounds are. I love the delays and I could get the verb to do some great ambient noises. The only thing wrong was at one point it froze and went completely unresponsive. Not one single control worked and only power cycling restored it back again. That's the first time it's froze on him though so it's not a common thing

The only thing I would like on it is a touch screen so you could drag and drop effects \ amps in the sequence you wanted. 

I had one freeze which was reproducible and fixed in a later firmware but nothing since
    I'm not keen on a touchscreen at my feet although I could make a good case for one on the rack mount
    The editor is really easy to do all that stuff and that's where all my patch creation really happens
    The other really good thing is the native plug in lets you build patches on your DAW of choice and then export them into the Helix when you can be arsed taking it out of its case :)
    Quick question - I presume you can have different effects on different layers when using the in built loop pedal?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Quick question - I presume you can have different effects on different layers when using the in built loop pedal?
    If you put the looper last in the chain (normal set-up) it will play back the loop with whatever effects were on when you played the part.  If it's first in the chain then it will play back dry guitar in to whatever effects are turned on, you can stick the looper anywhere you want
    John_A said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    If you put the looper last in the chain (normal set-up) it will play back the loop with whatever effects were on when you played the part.  If it's first in the chain then it will play back dry guitar in to whatever effects are turned on, you can stick the looper anywhere you want
    Cool thanks!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    If the looper is on the same path you can also change presets and the loop will continue :)
    Ta :) 
    If the looper is on the same path you can also change presets and the loop will continue :)

Which I wonder why you couldn't do the same with a delay or reverb block. Help the spill over between patches
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Cabicular said:

Which I wonder why you couldn't do the same with a delay or reverb block. Help the spill over between patches
    Maybe to do with how the loop is stored vs delay / reverb in realtime? 
    Cabicular said:

Maybe to do with how the loop is stored vs delay / reverb in realtime? 
    I get what you are saying. I guess all the loop is doing is repeating an audio file 
  • If you buy a second hand Helix which has been registered by the original owner, is it a problem for the new owner to load software updates?
    If you buy a second hand Helix which has been registered by the original owner, is it a problem for the new owner to load software updates?
    No you can transfer all that and as long as you have the original receipt the warranty is transferable too (currently 2 years in U.K.)
    i don’t know what the situation with Native is
    Ask Frankie Ritchotte in the Helix Facebook group
    He is a great guy
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    If I got a Yamaha DXR10 what cables would I need to connect it to the helix?

Thanks
    edited January 2018
    @neilg either an XLR (microphone) cable or a 1/4” jack to male XLR cable.
  • simonk said:
    am I missing something? I have a DXR10 and connect it to my LT with an instrument 1/4 to 1/4" cable. am I not getting the 'best' out of it by doing this?

Pittster said:
    simonk said:
    am I missing something? I have a DXR10 and connect it to my LT with an instrument 1/4 to 1/4" cable. am I not getting the 'best' out of it by doing this?

That’ll work too.