Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Pittster said:
    simonk said:
    @neilg either an XLR (microphone) cable or a 1/4” jack to male XLR cable.
    am I missing something? I have a DXR10 and connect it to my LT with an instrument 1/4 to 1/4" cable. am I not getting the 'best' out of it by doing this?

For some reason I find the jack input on the DXR to be noisier than the XLR, didn't really look in to it, just switched to the XLR and it was a lot better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28241
    From the Helix's point of view there's no difference between going from the jack outputs to some jack inputs, or going from the jack outputs to some XLR inputs, because the Helix LT's jack outputs are unbalanced.

Going from the XLR outputs to some XLR inputs could make a difference because the connections are then balanced, which improves noise rejection. In some rooms this will be audibly less noisy, in others (probably most) it won't make an audible difference.

It is quite possible that the inputs on a given speaker will behave differently, of course.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I run from the jack output of the helix to the XLR in on the DXR for personal monitor, and use the Helix XLR outs straight to the PA.  The DXR is definitely less noisy using the XLR input.  Probably just a gain thing and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it
  • Cabicular said:
    If you buy a second hand Helix which has been registered by the original owner, is it a problem for the new owner to load software updates?
    No you can transfer all that and as long as you have the original receipt the warranty is transferable too (currently 2 years in U.K.)
    i don’t know what the situation with Native is
    Ask Frankie Ritchotte in the Helix Facebook group
    He is a great guy
    Thanks!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited January 2018
    Spending a bit more time with Native today! I've got some tones I'm pretty happy with but still got a bit of a digital sheen to it that i can't dial out yet. Having the most luck blending 2 cabs, studio preamp before the amp seems to give it a nice feel as well.

Weirdly I've downloaded a free preset and it doesn't seem to sound anything like the video the creator posted. Much duller and less alive sounding. Wondering if my interface is to blame? I've always had a bit of a problem getting great tones from any modelling software (apart from s gear 2). Still, sounds way better through my MR5s than the rack one I tried through headphones a while back!
  • Check you high cut setting and roll it way back to 6k or lower?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Read an interesting post on tgp bout the “controversial” update at namm..
    the chap put forward the notion of paid content. Definitely interesting and most definitely controversial.... 
    Hope it ain’t that!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I guess it's similar to the H9 business model. If the existing hardware has longevity built in, they need income generated elsewhere
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Read an interesting post on tgp bout the “controversial” update at namm..
    the chap put forward the notion of paid content. Definitely interesting and most definitely controversial.... 
    Hope it ain’t that!
    Link?
    <space for hire>
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited January 2018
    Check you high cut setting and roll it way back to 6k or lower?
    Yeah I've done loads of faffing with the high/low cuts etc, still not got anything I'd be truly happy to drop the Helix money on. Tried various IRs and still not doing it for me properly.

So far I've had much better luck with using my amps DI out and adding an IR in Reaper - think a reactive load box may be the way forwards for me to be honest. I've even had better tones using the Marshall CODE 25 usb direct recording feature, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that my interface is just shit for DI guitar. I'd have to try out a proper Helix to be sure it's not something wrong with the inputs of my interface.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Read an interesting post on tgp bout the “controversial” update at namm..
    Hope it ain’t that!
    Have Line 6 said it will be controversial?

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Hope it ain’t that!

DI claimed so here.
    edited January 2018
    hmm, interesting that they have completely rewritten the helix code over time. Frank said a bundle of times that there were no plans to amortize the FW updates, so I reckon something else. Perhaps non guitar centered update? Synth/Bass/Vocal stuff added? We'll see.

If it is pay to play, then it will have to be an amazing update to be worth it. i'm not really wanting for anything and those 4 fx loops allow me to get what little things I do want in there (better reverb, better pitch fx)

Maybe they added patch compatibility with Ax Fx - now THAT would be controversial :astonished: ;)
    I guess it's similar to the H9 business model. If the existing hardware has longevity built in, they need income generated elsewhere
    H9 Model is top unit gets everything - others you pay. 
  • simonk said:
    Hope it ain’t that!

DI claimed so here.
    Ahhhh...I see.

I'm reasonably sure I know what the "controversial" part is. I'm not entirely sure why it'd be considered so, but as I've said before...it makes it blindingly obvious what their next Helix-family product is.

As for paid content...I doubt it. After all, that's part of what killed the Eleven Rack, and I'm sure nobody really wants to go there again. You've also got to consider that the Helix is already pretty damn comprehensive, so they're going to be pretty limited in the amount of revenue they can grab that way; far better to attract new customers with an expanded range based on free updates, which is exactly what they seem to be doing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    Hope it ain’t that!

DI claimed so here.
    Ahhhh...I see.

I'm reasonably sure I know what the "controversial" part is. I'm not entirely sure why it'd be considered so, but as I've said before...it makes it blindingly obvious what their next Helix-family product is.

As for paid content...I doubt it. After all, that's part of what killed the Eleven Rack, and I'm sure nobody really wants to go there again. You've also got to consider that the Helix is already pretty damn comprehensive, so they're going to be pretty limited in the amount of revenue they can grab that way; far better to attract new customers with an expanded range based on free updates, which is exactly what they seem to be doing.
    Especially as that's what the chief competitor is doing. Paid for helix updates in today's market would be a real boost for fractal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    With regards to the paid extras thing, I do think that could work for a minority. People are spending money on presets so why not buy a new amp or effect for $1 and actually get something out of it? For the majority, it would be a big fat no, honestly, including myself. 

I want to stress, I genuinely don't know if this is the case or not. I only know one thing about the update and paid for stuff isn't it! Just being clear on that one. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The controversial aspect has nothing to do with paid content. EA's business model can suck it.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The controversial aspect has nothing to do with paid content. EA's business model can suck it.
    Thanks Eric
    The controversial aspect has nothing to do with paid content. EA's business model can suck it.
    Are you bored of saying this yet? 
    Still good to know. Line 6 has made good on every helix promise so far. Delighted to hear the ride continues :)