Line 6 Helix

What's Hot
1421422423424425427»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27303
    When I was using mine for amp sims with a proper amp I went Helix Preamp into the FX return of my Badcat and it sounded absolutely brilliant. I can't remember any issues with volume levels but it was a few years back and obviously that would be amp model-specific anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4189
    When I was using mine for amp sims with a proper amp I went Helix Preamp into the FX return of my Badcat and it sounded absolutely brilliant. I can't remember any issues with volume levels but it was a few years back and obviously that would be amp model-specific anyway
    Why does that feel like buying a Ferrari and just using its air-con?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    Most of my Helix use is practicing with headphones, but I've also been using it using 4CM into my Friedman and it works brilliantly.
    The drive pedal effects sound a lot less fizzy when you run them into a real valve amp, though I don't love the fuzz tones into the Friedman. 

I've not tried it into the clean channel on my MJW yet which is effectively a '63 Princeton circuit.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 90
    strtdv said:
    Most of my Helix use is practicing with headphones, but I've also been using it using 4CM into my Friedman and it works brilliantly.
    The drive pedal effects sound a lot less fizzy when you run them into a real valve amp, though I don't love the fuzz tones into the Friedman. 

I've not tried it into the clean channel on my MJW yet which is effectively a '63 Princeton circuit.
    I use mine with my Friedman and as you say, it’s brilliant. Loved it with 5150 too.

I also use the Princess Pre-amp model and bypass the amps preamp when I want a pristine clean. Works perfectly.

Having been around the houses with the various boards, Helix is absolutely the best to use in a mixed set-up IMO. The fractal stuff sounds great but on fly editing is clunky at best. And QC just wasn’t for me in this context, ace as a desktop unit though.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    I’ve been using it so far at home into the front or the effects return of my hot rod deluxe.  I usually gig at Badcat hotcat which sounds phenomenal but for some gigs it’s not really suitable so initially trying to get the helix sounding close to my pedals into a pedal platform, ie something like a hot rod or a venue supplied amp with an effects loop..    it’s not there yet but its not bad.

I’m finding one of the Marshall preamps works pretty well into both the front and the effects loop for edge of breakup. 
    edited May 17
    Tried it at band practice going into the front and then effects loop of my peavey studio pro. It sounded decent actually.
    Not got the drives dialled in right but was in the right direction.   Dyvana and prize drive were sounding nice. The ratatouille not quite doing it.   

But.. it still doesn’t sound as good as my pedalboard.  The delays and modulations aren’t as good as the dd500 and mobius.
    I'm dithering over my Hx LT at the moment, as expected I suppose.

I really like the sounds out of it (amps into class D power amp into ZIlla cab) but yet again I feel like I'm seriously under-utilising the thing as I'm generally using using one or two amp models, and less than a handful of pedals to achieve the sounds I want.

Hmm.
    edited May 17

I really like the sounds out of it (amps into class D power amp into ZIlla cab) but yet again I feel like I'm seriously under-utilising the thing as I'm generally using using one or two amp models, and less than a handful of pedals to achieve the sounds I want.

Hmm.
    I think the advantage of the helix is its a) easy to use b) has lots of decent sounds available c) good for setting up presets/snapshots d) has everything you can probably think of for that occasion when you need it.  e)you don't need to worry about multiple points of failure.

but if you only interested in a couple of drives, and a delay/modulation then something like the IR2/Tonex One and mobius/DD500 and couple of drives of choice is going to probably work better for you and imo sound better..

Got to say I'm liking mine so far.. But currently I don't think its as good as my pedalboard/valve amp by a mile. 
    thomasw88 said:

Hmm.
    I think the advantage of the helix is its a) easy to use b) has lots of decent sounds available c) good for setting up presets/snapshots d) has everything you can probably think of for that occasion when you need it.  e)you don't need to worry about multiple points of failure.

but if you only interested in a couple of drives, and a delay/modulation then something like the IR2/Tonex One and mobius/DD500 and couple of drives of choice is going to probably work better for you and imo sound better..

Got to say I'm liking mine so far.. But currently I don't think its as good as my pedalboard/valve amp by a mile. 
    Aye, that's the challenge!!!   I think I'd be fine with an IR-2 or ToneX One for my needs, keeping my existing amp & pedals for when I want to play 'properly' instead.

I might add it to my 'spring-clean' FS ad.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682

I really like the sounds out of it
    Good

I'm generally using using one or two amp models, and less than a handful of pedals to achieve the sounds I want.

Also good.  With the Helix you have lots of choice but it's about finding the few that work for you and sticking with them.  I don't use more than a handful of amps, and only two cabs, to cover my entire set.

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 363
    edited May 18

Hmm.
    If you really like the sounds and it's doing what you need, sounds like you're *utilising* it. And in the event of a new requirement, it should be able to step up to the plate.

What is this pressure that one has to be tweaking and complicating and using all the things for a modeller to be worthwhile? If you're not in 20 different projects, who cares?

I used to have an Axe-Fx II for practising and recording demos and the settings barely changed over the course of two years but every time I plugged in I was inspired to play because it sounded the tits at same home volumes through studio monitors and headphones.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27303
    topdog91 said:

Hmm.
    If you really like the sounds and it's doing what you need, sounds like you're *utilising* it. And in the event of a new requirement, it should be able to step up to the plate.

What is this pressure that one has to be tweaking and complicating and using all the things for a modeller to be worthwhile? If you're not in 20 different projects, who cares?

I used to have an Axe-Fx Ii for practising and recording demos and the settings barely changed over the course of two years but every time I plugged in I was inspired to play because it sounded the tits at same home volumes through studio monitors and headphones.
    This is half the point of modelling kit for me. Because it means when you want to do something else you can try dial that up very easily without having to buy a load of new gear. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676

Hmm.
    Good.

Using 300 different amp sounds is lame. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    I've had a Helix over 6 years and I've only really used the Placater Dirty and Archetype regularly. I like the idea that I've got loads of choice though.

I really don't think modellers are designed for people to use a different kind of amp for the day of the week/phase of the moon, they have that many models and effects so there's something there for everyone.
    On a different note...
    What preamps/amps are people favourites? In rl I play a badcat hotcat and none of the preamps in the helix are close to that so far. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9905
    edited May 18
    For my own playing (Helix Native) I tend to gravitate towards the Ventoux and what I think is possibly the Mesa Mk.IV clean channel - having never played either of those two in the real world (obviously nobody has with the Ventoux as it's made up) I wouldn't know if they are accurate but they both seem to cover my clean to crunch needs and can use pedal models to get more gain.

On my Catalyst amp I use the Aristocrat model pretty much exclusively, so I should try that on Helix Native as well really. I know the Catalyst amps have the Ventoux now as well but it doesn't work for me on there as well as it does on the app 

When I'm doing impressions of White Stripes or Yeah Yeah Yeahs (or other indie from that era) then I find blending/mixing a Deluxe Reverb Vib channel with the Thrift Shop Silvertone one to cover a lot of ground. The fender EQ on bright and the Thrift quite dark
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:
    On a different note...
    What preamps/amps are people favourites? In rl I play a badcat hotcat and none of the preamps in the helix are close to that so far. 

Interesting, How does the Hotcat differ to the usual vox-influenced BCs? I use the AC30-flavoured models for my clean(er) tones, and then default to the Orange Rocker thing for my drives. The Fawn AC30TB is the main one I use, I think? 

I settled on the latter after scrolling blindly through the amp models and then choosing whichever I felt sounded best… my main ‘real’ amp is a Rocker 15, so that probably paid a part in it! :mrgreen:

Hmm.
    Good.

Using 300 different amp sounds is lame. 
    This is true, I suppose it’s more that something even simpler like an IR-2, POD Express, or ToneX One could probably serve my needs 98% of the time too.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2917
    Installed yet another trial of Native to try out some of the newer stuff! Really liking the Voltage amp, surprisingly more than the 2203. It feels like it has more of the "kerrang" and punch of a Marshall. The new cabs are great, did some A/B'ing with my York IRs and I don't think I'd bother with loading any now. Can see myself now getting a Pod Express which will probably be a gateway to another HX Stomp or Pod Go in the future :)
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    It's nice to have choices but, if the only amp I had on the HX Stomp was the GSG, I would be happy.
    Haven't used much more since they added that.