Modifying a guitar shape

What's Hot
I'm still to make my first guitar (my lovely girlfriend bought me an SG kit for my birthday which will be my first, documented here of course) but I already am having whims for my second one!

If I were to get a Jazzmaster shape body, how much work would I be in for to change the shape to something like an Airline jack white esque shape?

So from this
http://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Squier_Vintage_Jazzmaster_Candy_Red_Guitar_Fab_Gear.gif

To this:
http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/6a00d83452e46469e200e54f3f61818833-800wi.jpg

Would it be a case of sawing it to be more angular then sanding down? Would a jigsaw be the tool?

All the guitar making stuff will be new to me so forgive me my inexperienced lack of knowledge, I am keen to learn...
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Not a good choice to start from - the Jazzmaster body is mostly hollow under the pickguard, so there's only a limited amount you can re-shape it before you would break through into the cavity.

Theoretically you do just need to saw it down then rasp and sand it smooth, yes. A jigsaw would give you a fair amount of control and mean that you didn't have to stick to straight lines.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    Or start with a completely blank body blank and make your own shape.

Then you can put the controls where you want, the jack where you want, have the p'up configuration that you want, choose the bridge that you want ...

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The advantage of starting with a pre-made body is that the hard bits - accurately routing the neck pocket and getting the positions of it, the bridge mounts etc, exactly correct - are already done and you only need to do some fairly easy shaping round the edge which don't need great precision.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    You can buy blanks like this from Warmoth

Maybe GSPBASSES or Guitarbuild would make you something similar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    edited June 2015
    You can get resoglass body kits in the style you want, built to fit the neck you have. I would go that way or a total new body.

Alternative is filling some routes to get the shape exact and that's never right.

You can also go for an inspired by shape. Take off the pick guard and break out the sharpie, see if you can fit a shape you like on there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    These glass fibre bodies look like the sort of thing?
    yeah, they are the ones i was thinking of
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    Thank you as ever wise folks, all good points and well made.

Good point re the routing possibly getting in the way - I pretty much see it as straightening off the curves on the edges so it may not be too bad if I plan it well. I don't necessarily want it exactly the same shape, very much want something in the style of, what the chosen body would allow really. Maybe something like this body, with a more Tele style routing, may be easier to cut buts off without risking collapsing it!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Offset-Guitar-Body-Solid-Alder-Vintage-Retro-Cool-With-T-Style-Routing-OSA/141454827904

I am being given a jigsaw for my new house, though clearly I shall probably only use it for this haha ive used one before so vaguely know the principles but would of course do plenty of planning beforehand.

I'll look into those ready routed planks, as that may be a good way actually

WezV - I know they sell the reso kits in the US, they would be amazing, but sadly my budget does not tally with one of those!

What's a sharpie? Pencil?
    edited June 2015
    actually - just done a quick photoshop mockup of a trimmed down jazz body - this isn't quite the same shape, but its close.  only took a few minutes, with a bit longer you might get closer

still a few issues around pickguard design to make it look suitably kitsch
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @wezv that looks awesome!! That's exactly how I was imagining it in my head, depending on the body it would just need the edges to be aligned with whatever routing there is.

In fairness this project is a way off, my girlfriend bought me a nice SG project which will be my first. I'm intending to make that one look as classy and stylish as I can and using it for nice warm jazzy playing, so that when I get around to making my second guitar that one can be a bit more kitsch and intended for the rocky garagey playing I also enjoy. I had thought of doing a nice thin line Tele, as this second guitar will replace my existing Tele! But really I think this might be much more exciting that replacing like with like...
    That really is surprisingly close given how different the body shape and close to the edge the rout looks!

the actual shape is much further out.  i didn't both going for correct size of bodes, just best fit of the airline on the jazz master - which looks like this

here are all 3 layers showing the 3 different shapes

although i have to say i think the jazzmaster plate will still be the deciding factor on whether this actually looks good.  here is your guitar trimmed down to that shape with minimal scratchplate trimming that should be within the confines of the wood you have available

I think it looks pretty terrible - because its neitehr one thing or the other.   but i am sure a plate could be designed that worked better

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just making it more angular where it's still curvy would probably work. I don't actually think it looks that bad as it is.

• How about starting with a telemaster? They only have a small pick guard and less routing, so more room to work with.
    ThePrettyDamned;670463" said:
    How about starting with a telemaster? They only have a small pick guard and less routing, so more room to work with.
    A good idea, but nowhere seems to make the kits for these whereas I can get a few different jazzmaster types...