Solos you dislike

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

Probably the only series of notes that he ever played that I've heard and didn't like.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Easy by Faith No More. I hate it when people kinda follow the original in a cover but then kind of miss the point.  The cover is laid back but the solo doesn't have half the laid back cool of the original. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Horrid tone and totally unpleasant note choices.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I loved that as a kid but yeah, get that too. Off to see them tonight actually.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    Neil Young - Like a Hurricane

Soz Neil fans, it's a cacophony of noise to my little old ears.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Faith No More that is as opposed to Chicago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Jenny Don't Be Hasty by Paolo Nutini.

Great song, but the solo sounds like it's being played by someone who *can* play but is deliberately 'dumbing it down' to try to sound cool. It's the same line repeated four times with no progression or life to it... almost ruins the song.

There are loads more I probably dislike more, but mostly not in songs I otherwise like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Napoleon.

Hated him.

Always preferred llya Kuryakin

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I suspect this'll have some sharpening their pitchforks, but Duane Allmann slip-sliding away like a cat on helium during the soppy second half of Layla.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    The 90s version of Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Waste of space.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    He clearly shot first, the bounder.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Commodores Easy - sounds like amateur shite to me with those hideous slides. It's like nails scraping down a blackboard.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Skarloey said:
    I suspect this'll have some sharpening their pitchforks, but Duane Allmann slip-sliding away like a cat on helium during the soppy second half of Layla.

so much toan and emotion!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Beastie Boys - Fight for the Right to Party.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Skarloey said:

God yes!! I HATE that song so much because of the outro solo. If I hear the song on the radio I'll listen to it until the start of the piano chords then I'll change the station. Possibly the worst 4 mins of recorded music ever. Its buried so low in the mix that the engineer obviously knew it was shite.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Skarloey said:
    Pitchfork duly sharpened :).

God yes!! I HATE that song so much because of the outro solo. If I hear the song on the radio I'll listen to it until the start of the piano chords then I'll change the station. Possibly the worst 4 mins of recorded music ever. Its buried so low in the mix that the engineer obviously knew it was shite.
    And luckily they have TWO prongs...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited June 2015
    Doesn't Remind Me- Audioslave. Tom Morello has a diverse catalogue of "interesting" solos. This one seems like it's copied & pasted from a totally different song & sounds like a mobile phone ringing whilst encased in jelly.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica - Kirk Hammett's nadir. Absolutely fucking unlistenable, it's almost comically bad.

Mind you, most of Kirk's solos since about 1990 have been a bit rubbish.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Totally agree on the second half of Layla, absolute balls.

All of the solos on Animalize by Kiss. Really clueless bad shredding. They were quite lucky Mark St John had to leave the band due to health reasons after one album.

Also to add another Kiss guitarist to the list check this solo fest from Vinnie Vincent

Check out 31 minutes in. Imagine you'd played £20 for that video!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22829
    edited June 2015
    ^  Thirty years ago I absolutely loved Lick It Up and the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album, I still think he wrote some decent songs but with hindsight most of his solos were just a lot of utterly meaningless notes played very very fast.

As for Mark St. John (RIP), I avoided Animalize because I already had an utterly dreadful album by his band White Tiger.  It had the worst production job I've ever heard, by St. John himself (and engineered by one Lester Claypool...!)

Having said all that, I'm no better a player than I was 30 years ago.  But I've listened to a lot of music and maybe I'm a little more discerning than I was? 

(Edit:  A little research has revealed that the White Tiger album was actually post-Kiss.  I could've sworn it was the other way round!)

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6112
    The crappiest solo of all time: The one on 'Think Twice' by Celine Dion.
    A crap song topped off by the blandest most pointless solo played by Aldo Nova. 
    Just truly awful, insipid and uninspired.  Yep.. I hate it that much.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"