Solos you dislike

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What? 
    I bloody love the solo to 'Think Twice'.

I rather dislike the quasi-country solo in Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking Out Loud'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    axisus said:
    Commodores Easy - sounds like amateur shite to me with those hideous slides. It's like nails scraping down a blackboard.

Wow, thats what makes it so good to me! LOve playing that solo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    axisus said:
    Commodores Easy - sounds like amateur shite to me with those hideous slides. It's like nails scraping down a blackboard.
    Skarloey said:
    I suspect this'll have some sharpening their pitchforks, but Duane Allmann slip-sliding away like a cat on helium during the soppy second half of Layla.

INTERVENTION!!!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835
    equalsql said:
    The crappiest solo of all time: The one on 'Think Twice' by Celine Dion.
    A crap song topped off by the blandest most pointless solo played by Aldo Nova. 
    Just truly awful, insipid and uninspired.  Yep.. I hate it that much.

I can't think how that goes at all, I'll have to look on YouTube later.

Aldo Nova eh?  A man who once described Ritchie Blackmore as a "bad guitar player".  And not in a BA Baracus "bad means good" kind of way....

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Philly_Q;670959" said:

Aldo Nova eh? A man who once described Ritchie Blackmore as a "bad guitar player". And not in a BA Baracus "bad means good" kind of way....
    Really? I used to think he was a half decent player back in the day. Clearly I was wrong and he's actually a total bellend!

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

I don't like anything Steve Vai ever played. I'd say the same about EVH too, but I love the solo in Beat It.

The solo in Just Dropped In is truly terrible too, shame really cos I love the song.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835
    drwiddly said:
    Philly_Q;670959" said:

Aldo Nova eh? A man who once described Ritchie Blackmore as a "bad guitar player". And not in a BA Baracus "bad means good" kind of way....
    Really? I used to think he was a half decent player back in the day. Clearly I was wrong and he's actually a total bellend!

Aldo Nova was alright, I still have his first three solo albums (on vinyl).

But I distinctly remember the Blackmore comment.  However, I've just Googled it and found that he subsequently denied it:

On the recent quote in British rock mag Sounds where he says that Deep Purple’s Ritchie Blackmore is “a bad guitar player.” “No. I think Blackmore’s a good guitar player, I just did 25 dates with him with Rainbow. I don’t really like his new album, but he’s a really nice guy. All those horror stories that you hear about Blackmore, there’s not one of them that’s true. I was misquoted, because I never criticize anybody else—that’s one thing I don’t do is criticize other groups or other players.”

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Totally agree on the second half of Layla, absolute balls.

All of the solos on Animalize by Kiss. Really clueless bad shredding. They were quite lucky Mark St John had to leave the band due to health reasons after one album.

Also to add another Kiss guitarist to the list check this solo fest from Vinnie Vincent

Check out 31 minutes in. Imagine you'd played £20 for that video!
    That is a shocker, hideous playing and the worst tone I've heard in many a year....it wasn't your £20 was it :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I have just watched a bit of that Vinnie Vincent effort.

Jesus. Where do you begin in describing what's wrong with that?

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited June 2015
    RHCP - "Californication"

3:23 onwards  -- I love the song but this solo is really annoying!

Oh, and "Freebird" -- which has every guitar cliché of the era repeated ad nauseam

EDIT: 
    Also to add another Kiss guitarist to the list check this solo fest from Vinnie Vincent

Farking 'ell!  Just played it.  You win.  That is a whole new level of shit.

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi - a tasteless exercise in pinched harmonics. Sounds like me when I'm trying to remember where they are along the strings...
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Grunfeld said:
    RHCP - "Californication"

3:23 onwards  -- I love the song but this solo is really annoying!

This, every time. Really thin sounding solo that sounds like it was played through one of those 1 watt battery Marshall mini amps.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi - a tasteless exercise in pinched harmonics. Sounds like me when I'm trying to remember where they are along the strings...
    Bed of Roses is a fucking shit solo as well.

I dislike almost everything Richie Sambora has ever played, mainly because it's part of Bon Jovi, my musical pet hate.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Skarloey said:
    I have just watched a bit of that Vinnie Vincent effort.

Jesus. Where do you begin in describing what's wrong with that?

Usually the beginning.........

I'm not brave/stupid enough to have a look......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Not a huge fan of solo's to be honest, there's one or two that I can enjoy but I'd say that 99.9% of them I dislike and they're too long/self indulgent and add little to any song.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72344
    Grunfeld said:
    RHCP - "Californication"
    I love Frusciante's solos like that - they're so unlike any of the usual clichés of rock guitar soloing… there's a real primitive un-affected charm to them, even though they're so simplistic and clunky it's almost laughable in some ways.

Grunfeld said:
    Oh, and "Freebird" -- which has every guitar cliché of the era repeated ad nauseam.
    Agreed - it's just so laboured, too. I've never understood why it was so rated.

Grunfeld said:

Farking 'ell!  Just played it.  You win.  That is a whole new level of shit.
    I had to turn it off after all of ten seconds, let alone 31 minutes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Horrid tone and totally unpleasant note choices.

One of my favourites. I know it from my dad's 45rpm single though, which is an edited version that trims it right down to just the good bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byk0wqr_kzw

equalsql said:
    The crappiest solo of all time: The one on 'Think Twice' by Celine Dion.
    A crap song topped off by the blandest most pointless solo played by Aldo Nova. 
    Just truly awful, insipid and uninspired.  Yep.. I hate it that much.
    I'm not going to fight too hard to defend this one, but I did think the solo was the highlight of an otherwise pretty dull tune.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    I'll start by saying that I hold Andy Summers in high regard and am a big fan of The Police...

but "So Lonely"?? wtf!!?!?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    That version is a lot more palatable @english_bob and I actually like the song. I cannot abide that tone though. Can't even blame "the era" as there were tons of Guitar tones recorded around the time that I still love today.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.