What the strangest place you've done a guitar or amp deal?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    And I'm also adding a +1 to Fleet Services, bought my first Rivera (an unwanted Guitarist magazine prize Clubster 45) from a pensionable age women about 7 years ago at this place !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Bristol City FC.
    I bought a guitar in their car park once - bit of a hot bed :) (You didn't sell me an Explorer by any chance?)

• +1 for fleet services too

Is the dodgy gear exchange point of choice for us south coast folks
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11945

Euston station - there is a small space at the bottom of the disabled lift to the bar, got a lovely Baritone acoustic there

Preston Tickled trout services: bought a lovely boutiquey guitar from a Judge, we were examining the guitar out in the car park, and I thought it would have been funny if the police turned up - to ask Dr Tone and Judge Gerry what they were doing

A pub car park at Gailey, swapping amps in the snow

A classical guitar from the mountains of North Wales (collection only ebay £300 model, £50 no other bidders), he met me in the Makro entrance lobby in Queensferry

I got one guy to turn up with a bass case at the Lamb and Flag pub in London town, whilst I was at a works' do, that surprised my colleagues, one minute standing there with no luggage, next minute a big case. I think some assumed I had bought it on impulse in the pub

Usually, of course it's driving to someone's house and finding yourself in completely random surroundings: sad, scary, nice, plush or whatever.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    DrBob said:
    Bought a Jeff Beck Strat from a British guy in the lobby of a hotel in the Disneyland Tokyo resort
    Probably the most exotic deal so far...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    been to countless services on the M62, M6, M4, M42, Premier Inns, Toby Carverys, Burger Kings...

hardest journey was a round trip from Manchester to Whitstable to trade a Wolfgang for a Les Paul, i left at about 6 am and it was about -5 and my screen wash was frozen until the sun came up in Warwickshire somewhere...shitty day, but nice guitar!

I think it's the old open the big case in the boot of the car that makes it look and feel so dodgy, that and the massive wods of cash :D

• Another one for Fleet, when selling my Hartke bass amp.

Yeovil Junction train station car park, when selling my Ibanez JEM 7BSB.

Strensham services on the M5 to collect a Blackstar HT5.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• No
    JookyChap;67710" said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

Bristol City FC.

I bought a guitar in their car park once - bit of a hot bed :) (You didn't sell me an Explorer by any chance?)
    No returns. It was like that when you bought it. All The good Explorers are like that.

I mean no. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My coolest one was a few months back at a services on the M6.

Im waiting for a guy to turn up to buy my R7 and then from nowhere, Ginger from the wildhearts parked next to me. Hes a god to me and I told him so, he had a noodle on it posed for pics (taken by his lovely wife) and he went on his way. Craziest thing was I was listening to the wildhearts as I arrived. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I did a deal with a guy off the side of the stage at one of my gigs once!

The strangest experience for me still has to be the guy who rang me up and asked me to play an R7 I was selling DOWN THE PHONE to him so he could hear the tone.....moron!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    The strangest experience for me still has to be the guy who rang me up and asked me to play an R7 I was selling DOWN THE PHONE to him so he could hear the tone.....moron!
    Was it Terry Tibbs?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Was it Terry Tibbs?
    I thought it was a wind-up to begin with but couldn't work out which of my mates it was, but as the conversation drew on, I realised he was a genuine common-a-garden moron.

It was straight off the back of another guitar I had for sale again on eBay (CS '63 Tele), had a guy on the phone telling me how much he'd always wanted one and never had been able to find one, made me go into the tiniest detail about it, "Oh yes! It's perfect! Just what I want...I'll give you £800 and come and get it in an hour".....it was advertised at £1450. When I politely declined, he called me an idiot, told me I'd never sell it and slammed the phone down....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    I bought a guitar from a shop once.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gilby said:
    I bought a guitar from a shop once.
    That's just plain perverted.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    edited October 2013
    monquixote;67651" said:

I made the poor bastard go to Harlow (apparently the shittest place to live in Britain)

I've driven to train stations

Sums the place up well I think
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Swapped a USA Deluxe Strat for an Ibanez JEM7VV once. Couldn't believe it when the bloke offered it for my £600 Strat and I really thought it was a scam but I met him in Reading train station and it was legit. I drove down, got charged £30 for going up a bus lane, met him off the train ( an American working in London ) opened the cases, shook hands and that was it. I sold it on because it was just too bling for me. I ended up making £465 even taking fuel and the fine into consideration. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What goes around comes around...!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • A flight to New York and then a train trip to a station in Long Island to buy a left handed 78 Jazz bass. I thought I'd might as well make a holiday of it if due to the cost of shipping and import duty etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I met a fella at a closed petrol station late at night in deepest Gloucestershire, to do a deal on a US Strat..
  • Met a nice chap off this forum in a Waitrose car park (posh supermarket, none of yer rubbish) but sadly we didn't actually consummate the deal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom