Let me know what you think of this mix...

What's Hot

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    I think the balance is overall pretty good.
    I think the kick sounds like it's quite separate from the rest of the drums though.
    I don't like the slight hair on the intro guitars. It kinda sounds like clipping rather than mild overdrive/clean.
    The snare sounds a little distant at times.

It's good, but maybe not exciting enough. It seems to sound a bit flat to me. Doesn't hit as hard as I'd like. I'd want to hear wider/bigger guitars, beefier snare, bit of ambience/room on the kick. Maybe a touch of verb on the guitars.

I haven't listened to anything else on these cans this morning so I don't know how it is in terms of overall brightness and depth etc.

I think the snare needs more direct mic to give it the punch the kick has. The kick also sounds a little small and lacking character IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17641
    tFB Trader
    I think it sounds very good. 

The only thing that stands out for me is that the snare is a bit of a "donk" rather than a "crack" this could be personal preference. 

I'd also perhaps want the guitars at 4 minutes to be a bit dryer, or gated so they sound a bit more stacatto 

The breakup on the guitars at the start does sound a bit like desk clipping rather than valvey OD, but I assumed that was deliberate to make it edgy. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cheers guys - just a first draft.

The clipping on the guitars at the start is from the amp.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Obvious it all comes down to personal opinion but I think the mix as it is is pretty damn good. I appreciate what people say about the snare but experience has taught me that although a cracking snare can sound great in some context in this particular style where the snare is busy rather than merely accenting beats it can very quickly become tiresome. In comparison look how many similar band actually switch the snare off to prevent that. I think you've got a fairly good balance. 

My only points that I would personally address is the balance of the two guitars in the first main section and also the section where the wah comes in. They are a bit distracting of each other which for me, unless that was the effect you were going I would aim to separate them more and bring the lead up and the picking pattern down. Just my view which you can take as shit but for me you're far closer to a finished mix than a draft mix.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited July 2015
    For me the main sticking points right now are the floor tom - I'm not happy with the tone and don't feel I got a good recording of it. Rack toms sound nice, 421's aimed at the centre... can't lose there! I've got a Shure Beta 52A, and I swear every time I've used it, it's just given me shit. That's what we used on the floor tom, so I'm gonna blame the mic.

I think the kick drum is a bit too loud in places. I've not really made any attempt to balance the guitars yet, so it's not surprising me that it's a bit off.

I'm trying out the new T-Racks Neve 1073 and 1081 plugins. They're pretty fucking nice!!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    edited July 2015
    I love those t-racks plugins! Can't really listen to the mix as away with just iPad as company, but I don't like the beta 52 very much either. Replaced mine with an re-20 last year.

If I could play devils advocate, why are you making us listen to it if you've not balanced the guitars yet? Don't fuck around with rough mixes and first drafts - that's mix masturbation. Just mix the thing as best you can and present it as finished. Then when the criticism rolls in take it like a man and cry.
    :D
    :))
    I've learned not to criticise mixes usually. Sadly if I'd figured that out 20 years ago I'd probably be as rich as Jack White by now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As long as I'm heading in the right direction.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    I like the drums and the guitar, including the floor tom, but I think the first half the bass sound is a little indistinct, when the abss changes tone later it sounds much better although obviously that exact tone would be too aggressive for the first part.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited July 2015
    Sounds great to my ears. Needs more Diezel though.
    Deijavoo said:
    Soynds great to my ears. Needs more Diezel though.
    MOAR VHT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited July 2015
    The song is pretty good - it sounds like a combination of Tool and Isis - are they influences? 
    edited July 2015
    frank1985 said:
    The song is pretty good - it sounds like a combination of Tool and Isis - are they influences? 

Well Drew loves Tool and is also an Islamic extremist so you are pretty spot on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    to my ears the second mix sounds softer.  i prefer the first mix to be honest.  
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Drew I think that one sounds the best.  Not sure what you've done different but it sounds slightly warmer than the first mix, but not as muffled and soft as the second.  It's a good combination of the two.  It has a good punch to it.    
    Yeah I'm getting closer. I did a few things:

Made the quiet sections a bit louder
    Scooped some mids on the bass in a few sections
    Added some reverb to the guitars during cleaner sections
    Did some panning work.
    Made the tape echo on the solo guitar parts a bit brighter.
    Tweaked the drum-mix ever so slightly too.

I think I've got a good baseline to work from for the entire album.