I can't do posh

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    It's all for the taste, not to stuff your face. If they give you lots of food you'll never be able to eat through it all.
    Speak for yourself.  I've calmed down a bit these days, but 20 years ago I never came across anything where I couldn't eat it all, and finish off other peoples as well.

I still want a meal to fill me up.  I can't stand rubbish like masterchef with their puny portions and stupid names for sauce.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Don't laugh, but for me the most pleasurable bit of eating is swallowing, and a crunchy/fatty texture.

Which is why I'm tubby.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Plukky said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:
    I don't care if the posh/rich want to squander their money on miniscule portions of non-food that would be better displayed in the Tate Modern. I had a very good meal recently which was (for me) expensive but at least it fed me. As for the crap referred to above, give me a plateful of sausage bean & chips any day
    IMO you're conflating basic nutrition with a sensory experience.  You don't (purely) go to a posh restaurant to fill up on the calories you require to live, you pay for an experience, which happens to be a culinary one.  You wouldn't compare a 3 pound pint of beer with a free glass of water on the basis that they are both a drink which you need to survive.
    Each meal is a sensory experience, I actually enjoy sausage beans & chips. I also enjoy nicely cooked beef, and will go to an Indian or Chinese place because that's the taste of the food I'm into at the time. Food isn't just functional, but IMO it has to be functional; my opinion of some of these expensive miniscule dishes is that they fail on functionality even if the senses can be tickled.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12029
    crunchman;693267" said:
    RaymondLin said:It's all for the taste, not to stuff your face. If they give you lots of food you'll never be able to eat through it all.

Speak for yourself.  I've calmed down a bit these days, but 20 years ago I never came across anything where I couldn't eat it all, and finish off other peoples as well.

I still want a meal to fill me up.  I can't stand rubbish like masterchef with their puny portions and stupid names for sauce.
    There are places like that, places like Man vs Food, so if that's your kind of thing then it's okay. It doesn't mean others can't enjoy a nice dinning experience with lots of different courses.

I like both, but do you see me saying the cheaper option "rubbish" and looking down on it. That kind of attitude is reverse snobbery and ironically is the same thing some people accuse the rich doing. Ps I'm not rich, I'd give you the background to my upbringing but let's just say for the first 9 years of my life we didn't have a loo in the house and peed into a bucket.

I appreciate the simple things and also the finer things and I am thankful for it all. I have never said "thank you" that many times during that meal.

I've said many times, rude people will be rude and money can't buy class.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited July 2015
    This is a forum full of people 'overpaying' for things with 'poor return of investment' or more accurately where something cheaper could've done 'more.' (Those are my ''s I'm not 'quoting' anyone)

Some people have £1k+ amps with only one channel, or expensive guitars with merely one pickup. I bet at least one person has a real Klon. But those things were worth buying to them over something cheaper for whatever reason.

They might be being judged as tone snobs who don't know how to enjoy a live gig with an average guitar tone on a posh dining club Line 6 spider web forum but that is a separate issue.

Rude people are still rude either way.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Not all Michelin starred places are particularly expensive btw, and since the Michelin guide only really does French/European cooking it's not actually a good reflection of all restaurants either.

I've only eaten in 2 starred places and although both were very good neither would make my top 5 restaurants either by price or quality.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    PolarityMan;693342" said:
    Not all Michelin starred places are particularly expensive btw, and since the Michelin guide only really does French/European cooking it's not actually a good reflection of all restaurants either.

I've only eaten in 2 starred places and although both were very good neither would make my top 5 restaurants either by price or quality.
    Ive eaten at the world's cheapest Michelin star restaurant, it's in Hong Kong btw. They do not take booking, you wait out in the street and wait for your number to be called. Each dish is about £2-4. £30 fed 4 of us.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Plukky said:
    @randomhandclaps

I don't view the questions as rhetorical at all actually - please feel free to respond to them.

@Plukky If you didn't intend them as rhetorical then you could have garnered the information from my original post rather than merely looking for hypocrisy and making assumptions which you were woefully wrong with. ;)
    Plukky said:

As far as calling your post a troll post, I don't believe that you think that writing "[the rich] drag their underachieving born into money lazy arses past homeless ex-soldiers on their way to have their egos massaged by minimum wage waiters who are forced to suck up shit so they can feed their kids" is part of a rational and reasonable debate, so I called it as I saw it. 

I see.  So you "called it as you saw it", accused me a trolling and thought that was acceptable but thought me expressing my view as not being " rational and reasonable debate ".  Again you make assumption about my motives and beliefs which you are wrong about

I would freely argue that the teenage excuse for trying to spark confrontation with others by "calling it as you see it" is really counter to rational and reasonable debate.  Would me having put "TBH you come across as a pompous arse!" Have been either constructive or a valid attempt at dismissing an opinion you are entitled too?  No, of course not but clearly you felt it was the most constructive form of response.  
    Plukky said:
    Being rude and entitled is separate from being rich - you can walk past a homeless soldier on the way to McDonalds, and be rude to the staff there without being rich.  I doubt the soldier or the member of staff see much distinction.

Obviously I can't really respond to that as it's kind of irrelevant to anything I was actually saying apart from mentioning McDonalds and the soldier.  However it does display a more humanitarian side to you that hadn't been on display before in this thread I applaud that.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Plukky said:
    You wouldn't compare a 3 pound pint of beer with a free glass of water on the basis that they are both a drink which you need to survive.

I would.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    ICBM said:
    To me a waiter is an employee doing a job for my benefit, not a servant. I wouldn't treat them as an inferior, I don't want to see other people doing so, nor do I want servile behaviour towards me - I find both equally offensive.
    Absolutely. I find the flunkey act, and any expectation of it, appalling - neither the staff nor I drop turds that smell like roses, and I don't expect any special treatment. When my caring employer forces me to travel on business, I always head to the buffet restaurant in the hotel rather than anything fancy. I prefer to be left in peace to mooch around the various dishes, and then sit down and scoff my grub.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    Nomad said:
    ICBM said:
    To me a waiter is an employee doing a job for my benefit, not a servant. I wouldn't treat them as an inferior, I don't want to see other people doing so, nor do I want servile behaviour towards me - I find both equally offensive.
    Absolutely. I find the flunkey act, and any expectation of it, appalling - neither the staff nor I drop turds that smell like roses, and I don't expect any special treatment. When my caring employer forces me to travel on business, I always head to the buffet restaurant in the hotel rather than anything fancy. I prefer to be left in peace to mooch around the various dishes, and then sit down and scoff my grub.
    I always go room service unless travelling with a more senior colleague who is buying the drinks :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited July 2015
    Back in Blighty now and calmed down somewhat. TBH I was probably overreacting somewhat (and exagerating slightly) with my original post and in need of a bit of a rant - certainly the portions were nothing like as small as those pictured in RaymondLins post but were still enough on the tiny side to make me feel hard done by at the time (but can laugh now).

However, it was still a case of emperor's new clothes, some customer's feeling it was their duty to treat the staff as something that they'd accidentally stood in, and a general feeling of being ripped off.

I honestly do appreciate that preparation and presentation count for something, but the value for money, in my opinion, simply wasn't there.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'm firmly in the Man vs Food camp. I don't think I've met a meal I couldn't demolish in short order. If you put it on my table it will vanish. And I always leave a fair tip, generous if the staff have been polite and friendly and not surly or rude. It's not a job I could do, I'm not patient enough and I don't suffer arseholes gladly, in fact most of the customers would end up wearing their posh food if I had to work in one of those yuppie restaurants being barked at by privileged egotistical tossers. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1804
    Seems most of the chips are on shoulders around here :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    well i worked here...Marco Pierre Whites the canteen and his 3* when it was at Hyde Park, Le Gavroche, Gordon Ramsay in the early days at Aubergine....fucking unbelievably hard work....huge attention to detail...loads of stress and shit money...these restaurants make a fortune by selling an extrmemely high quality product CONSISTENTLY to customers discerning or otherwise. 

It is a complex beast a restaurant and those who thrive do so by being single minded and multi talented individuals who not only need to be able to cook superbly well but also

understand and source produce
    train manage staff
    be an accountant
    a cleaner
    a handyman
    a wino
    a PR man
    a smoozer and a broozer
    a diplomat

you get the picture so in most cases a restaurant michelin starred or not that delivers above reasonable expectation day after day to a paying public is built on the proverbial blood sweat and tears...my advice would be to always seek out the once on the rise

bon appetit
    HAL9000 said:
    Back in Blighty now and calmed down somewhat. TBH I was probably overreacting somewhat (and exagerating slightly) with my original post and in need of a bit of a rant - certainly the portions were nothing like as small as those pictured in RaymondLins post but were still enough on the tiny side to make me feel hard done by at the time (but can laugh now).

However, it was still a case of emperor's new clothes, some customer's feeling it was their duty to treat the staff as something that they'd accidentally stood in, and a general feeling of being ripped off.

I honestly do appreciate that preparation and presentation count for something, but the value for money, in my opinion, simply wasn't there.
    Trust me, that meal that I had was value for money.

The next day I had steak and mash potatoes from Hard Rock cafe was not.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    edited July 2015
    I think I posted this on a different food thread but the idea of some sweaty bastard in a kitchen unnecessary manhandling and arranging tiny pieces of food into some fucking shit arty farty bollocks arrangement repulses me.

This kind of wank is usually full of shite and unhealthy as well.

To me food is a necessity and a basic need to survive. I don't like eating socially and only eat out for convinience.

My wife's cooking usually pisses all over anything I've eaten outside. Unless it's steak she hasn't mastered that yet!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    Iamnobody said:
    I think I posted this on a different food thread but the idea of some sweaty bastard in a kitchen unnecessary manhandling and arranging tiny pieces of food into some fucking shit arty farty bollocks arrangement repulses me.

This kind of wank is usually full of shite and unhealthy as well.

To me food is a necessity and a basic need to survive. I don't like eating socially and only eat out for convinience.

My wife's cooking usually pisses all over anything I've eaten outside. Unless it's steak she hasn't mastered that yet!

/\ and in the left hand corner......
    edited July 2015
    Food is more than sustenance , if that's all it is, then we would be eating sticks of lard for energy and take pills for vitamins, to save money and time.

The fact is that we don't and nobody in their right mind would do it out of choice.  You may not want to admit it, but we all want nice food.