I can't do posh

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074

Although I guarantee you, after all that (18 courses), you will not go away hungry.

Funnily enough, after a couple of these, I don't go away hungry either....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    edited July 2015
    My mate is a chef in Didsbury which is a relatively upscale part of Manchester, his place does get full of air kissing luvvies and he detests them, as do the front of house staff, in the winter they rock up with their botox, perfect hair and teeth and privately educated spawn in their £60,000 4x4s looking like they've just come off the piste at Klosters in £500 expedition jackets that have never seen a mountain.

He's not bitter though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited July 2015
    HAL9000 said:
    Back in Blighty now and calmed down somewhat. TBH I was probably overreacting somewhat (and exagerating slightly) with my original post and in need of a bit of a rant - certainly the portions were nothing like as small as those pictured in RaymondLins post but were still enough on the tiny side to make me feel hard done by at the time (but can laugh now).

However, it was still a case of emperor's new clothes, some customer's feeling it was their duty to treat the staff as something that they'd accidentally stood in, and a general feeling of being ripped off.

I honestly do appreciate that preparation and presentation count for something, but the value for money, in my opinion, simply wasn't there.
    Trust me, that meal that I had was value for money.

The next day I had steak and mash potatoes from Hard Rock cafe was not.

Sorry if I gave that impression but I'm certainly not doubting that your meal was value for money. The food in your pictures looks far better prepared and presented than our meal the other evening. I agree with yourself and others here that a meal out is not just about sustenance - it should be an experience. 

I'm also not knocking people because of their wealth. It's the way people behave towards their fellow human beings that ultimately counts and there are great people and total knobheads in all levels of society. It's just when people use their wealth or social status to put others down that I get all hot under the collar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    At the end of the day it all goes to make a turd, and they all fucking stink.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    mgaw said:
    well i worked here...Marco Pierre Whites the canteen and his 3* when it was at Hyde Park, Le Gavroche, Gordon Ramsay in the early days at Aubergine....fucking unbelievably hard work....huge attention to detail...loads of stress and shit money...these restaurants make a fortune by selling an extrmemely high quality product CONSISTENTLY to customers discerning or otherwise. 

It is a complex beast a restaurant and those who thrive do so by being single minded and multi talented individuals who not only need to be able to cook superbly well but also

understand and source produce
    train manage staff
    be an accountant
    a cleaner
    a handyman
    a wino
    a PR man
    a smoozer and a broozer
    a diplomat

you get the picture so in most cases a restaurant michelin starred or not that delivers above reasonable expectation day after day to a paying public is built on the proverbial blood sweat and tears...my advice would be to always seek out the once on the rise

bon appetit

I could do the wino bit, but I'd be shit at the rest of the criteria.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    you know some people are undoubtedly arseholes...for me after running 2 restaurants i certainly will miss the nice ones...the majority but the pretentious food snobs did my fucking head in.....just so you know i am not in the tiny artful portion brigade but well judged so as to satisfy the majority. Some people judge a place by how full they are and how cheap it is that is their perogative..my placdes wopuld not have been for them. I did dine at the Fat Duck some years ago with its 19 course extravaganza apart from some total bollocks i would have to say that the food was quite incredible, but each to there own, i personally cant bear the bloke when hes on tele as it is amongst the most self indulgent irrelevant tosh i have had the misfortune to watch. Tom Kerridge is worth checking out for most..very tasty very honest grub.....as a footnote i must point out that the service in the vast majority of the top restaurants has always been excellent i have rarely come across these snotty waiters some are talking about. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Much as I like my food and will eat pretty much all I'm given, I draw the line at putting anything in my mouth that's been prepared by Heston Blumenthal.
  • I wish DaLefty was here. I bet he'd regale us with some good restaurant stories. I can see it now...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I wish DaLefty was here. I bet he'd regale us with some good restaurant stories. I can see it now...

Might bring a new meaning to "noshed off"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Yeah, how he severed a leg using a cheese grater and turned the pepper mill into a bong.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Wow, did he really do that?  That's hardcore man.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    Sambostar said:
    Wow, did he really do that?  That's hardcore man.

Sassafras said:
    Yeah, how he severed a leg using a cheese grater and turned the pepper mill into a bong.
    funny you should say that but i remember once i..............
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Pretentious don't equal posh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom