Fender Supersonic 22 are they really unreliable? YES. Is the answer...but they sound awesome

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited July 2015 in Amps
So I have liked this amp for a while, my local shop has one on offer - I used one before and it only lasted a few hours before "blowing up", since then I have heard a few horror stories about this amp, being one of the worst that fender have made, but I do really like the sound.

Shop will take a couple of bits in PX, which means I am going to end up paying about 300 for the amp.

So, are the reliability stories true? Or was there just a bad run of these at one point?

After my recent Fargen debacle I don't want to buy another duffer, but at least this time I know the amp and know I love the sound....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Mate,

I owned one and never had a single blip from it, and gigged it regularly...

Decent cleans on it, but I did really like the OD channel option.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Mate,

I owned one and never had a single blip from it, and gigged it regularly...

Decent cleans on it, but I did really like the OD channel option.

cheers, @Wazmeister good to know... When I used it I really liked both sides, it was the first low watt combo I used and was a revelation, until smoke poured out of it.. (must have been 4 years ago). Now the amp I used was a supplied backline, so I don't know if it had been ill treated (a beer rinse springs to mind) and I never knew what the issue was, but on the net I have seen lots of reports of Supersonics failing.

My plan for this amp is for it to replace the Townhouse and become my home noodling amp. IIRC it sounded decent at low volume... It fits my needs exactly in terms of features...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916

My plan for this amp is for it to replace the Townhouse and become my home
    Are you quite short then? I'd pictured you as being at leadt 5'10"

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    I've had mine a couple of years and have had none of the reported issues at all.  Was played live most weeks.  Been faultless for me.  None of the popping on channel switching either.

Mine is now for sale though as I've recently bought a Vibrolux 68 Custom
    Gassage said:

haha! :) 
    the_jaffa said:
    I've had mine a couple of years and have had none of the reported issues at all.  Was played live most weeks.  Been faultless for me.  None of the popping on channel switching either.

Mine is now for sale though as I've recently bought a Vibrolux 68 Custom
    Oh, I forgot about the channel POP - thanks will keep an ear out for that later!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    As far as I understand it there are two versions - the problems are on the version which has a DIN footswitch connector. The version with a standard 1/4" connector is fine.

The only ones I've seen for repair so far have had DIN footswitches.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM once again a mine of useful info... that's super easy to check too. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Mine has a DIN footswitch connection and has been totally fine
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5163
    Everyone I have tried just hissed like a bag of snakes :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    you wanna go straight for the 100w Twin - that is a heck of an amp.... will be deals on them now.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

first off. this one was dead quiet.. to me, these amps sound great, the clean is nice, quite neutral but does has that fender vibe, wasn't so keen on the fat switch. the drive though, that's exactly the sound I want my amp to make. Just a really nice, responsive, touch sensitive drive. Interacted with the volume pot really nicely, and I reckon with a booster pedal it would be something else :)

So after 45 ins noodling, I reach for my wallet.

Now, I never play with reverb. But something said, ohh I should just see how it is - been a long time since I used a genuine spring.

Step on the effect button. nothing. idiot, that's the loop.
    Step on the reverb button. zzzzz, chchchchchc, zzzzz. and other hum/buzz related noises. no reverb but lots of noise.

Shop are going to see if it can be repaired (it's a 2nd hand item but made last year) - if so they will sell it to me slightly lower... if not they will practically give it to me.. :)

so disappointed though, I thought it was the one...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    Don't worry, if they will sort it - that's a broken reverb tank, very common with modern Accutronics units. If you can, suggest they replace it with the equivalent TAD or Ruby model, these are much more reliable - so much so that Fender have now changed to them, about a year ago according to MattFGBI, so it sounds like this is from before the change.

If it's not the tank itself it will just be a bad contact in the phono plug on the tank output end.

Or even if they will just knock of the equivalent of about £30 and you can get the tank yourself, it's easy to change.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

sweet... they will sort it :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Yes they do have a number of problems. 

They pop on channel change which is a design fault though some do it more than others. 

The DIN cable fails easily and when it does it can blow up a resistor in the amp. The DIN cable is also a bitch to replace.

I'm assuming the newer version ICBM mentions is better. 

NIce sounding amp though, I had one for a while.
    To be honest I would probably try to avoid any amp that uses a DIN cable for the footswitch on principle. Or for that matter pretty much anything that isn't a standard 1/4" - as Fender themselves have demonstrated, it's perfectly possible to design a proper switching system where multiple functions and full LED indication can be controlled by voltage-sensing circuitry and operated via a plain mono 1/4" cable.

They introduced the system as long ago as the late 1980s (the red-knob The Twin was the first, I think) and why they would ever have gone back to any inferior system is a mystery.

You do have to wonder sometimes, why companies drop perfectly valid constructions / systems for an inferior design that then leads to lots of issues... I mean a switch is hardly the most exciting, but a dodgy one ruins the amp... really who sits there and firstly comes up with this stuff and then who approves it? I mean I can't imagine there is any great cost benefit?

what's the weak point with the din? is it repeated pluging / unplugging? or something else?
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Gassage said:

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    Babones said:
    Gassage said:

Heat and lighting from 1 source... very energy efficient. Neighbours might have something to say about the speaker though...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    ICBM said:
    To be honest I would probably try to avoid any amp that uses a DIN cable for the footswitch on principle.
    My Decatone has a DIN-based footswitch. Quite annoying, because I wanted to build a spare footswitch (and smaller than the current one) - there's also a logic chip in the footswitch itself, which makes it a fair bit harder to know what they were doing with it.

<space for hire>