SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Lazy J 20

What's Hot
monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
...preferably with the reverb module at least Anyone point me in a direction please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarmanguitarman Frets: 52
    I know someone selling a Victoria 20112 if you are interested.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    I'll just jump in here having compared the Victoria 20112 to the Lazy J20. They are 2 very different amps.

While in the same tonal ballpark, the Victoria is a faithful recreation of the 5E3 circuit - more of a reliable version of the originals. 14w and, IMO, not really gigable without micing up and the J20 is a tweaked 18w amp, a more gigable/flexible version of the same circuit.

Both very cool but 2 very different applications.

Just my 2 peneth.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
    Lazy J 20 - THE best amp I've ever played. Fact.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanguitarman Frets: 52
    I have played both too and tbh didn't like either!!! lol. I played them against a Carr Rambler and 6v. The 6v blew the socks of everything. Infact there is a guy on here how is selling a 6v.

But in all honesty.....buy a Matchless/Bad cat or Dr.Z (i'm just biased to those brands). They have stood the test of time.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    @guitarman

I have Matchless, Bad Cat, Top Hat and Lazy J and while the Matchless & Bad Cat are in similar territory, the Top Hat - the BEST vintage Marshall you will ever hear - and the Lazy J are different beasts. Indeed, the J20 can sound a bit honky & muffled after going from a DC30 but, if one has the option, then it's nice to have a choice of different amps, a diverse sonic palette if you will, for different applications.

I got my first Lazy J about 4 years ago and my J20H shortly after so have definitely gotten over the honeymoon period and they are still great amps....seems like they are now THE amp to have on the fretboard too! :-)

By the way @monkey42, there is a non reverb model - an early one I think with the VAC on the underside of the chassis - for sale in the Lazy J Facebook group.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    miserneil said:
    @guitarman

I have Matchless, Bad Cat, Top Hat and Lazy J and while the Matchless & Bad Cat are in similar territory, the Top Hat - the BEST vintage Marshall you will ever hear - and the Lazy J are different beasts. Indeed, the J20 can sound a bit honky & muffled after going from a DC30 but, if one has the option, then it's nice to have a choice of different amps, a diverse sonic palette if you will, for different applications.

I got my first Lazy J about 4 years ago and my J20H shortly after so have definitely gotten over the honeymoon period and they are still great amps....seems like they are now THE amp to have on the fretboard too! :-)

By the way @monkey42, there is a non reverb model - an early one I think with the VAC on the underside of the chassis - for sale in the Lazy J Facebook group.

Thanks for all the help guys, and yes all the amps mentioned above are all excellent in there own right. I've had Matchless/Bad Cat/ Divided by 13 and each have there own place.

Neil thanks for the tip off about the used non reverb model, I'm currently in touch with the guy (a big thanks to @hotpickups for the assistance). Its a good price, but shame its up in Scotland so difficult to view/collect and the reverb sounds lush on these amps  

• GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    I'd not been seen dead with one and I lie about mine.

But Jesse gives me 20% everytime one sells on here.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I'd love to try one in person. They seem to be flavour of the month right now. The reverb and trem does sound incredible from the clips I've heard. Doubt I'd ever afford a fully loaded one though unfortunately, and I'd feel like it wasn't complete without the extra goodies.

Good luck with the quest
    The trem is a bias trem with valves hither and thither in the extension module inside. It's lush.

• guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    If you can grab one at a decent price I wouldn't personally worry about the 'extras' at all. I found the reverb and trem nice, but it's not where the magic is, and pedals can do an equally good job in my opinion. If you're gonna use it to gig with it you probably won't even use the vac either - I know I didn't, although it can be useful for home playing.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Keep em coming guys. Tracked the guy down from Scotland and had some dialogue, since then I can't track him down so still looking
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Hang in there. They do pop up here now and then. Worth the wait though and I'm sure it won't be like 6-8 months to wait for a new one ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    If you can grab one at a decent price I wouldn't personally worry about the 'extras' at all. I found the reverb and trem nice, but it's not where the magic is, and pedals can do an equally good job in my opinion. If you're gonna use it to gig with it you probably won't even use the vac either - I know I didn't, although it can be useful for home playing.
    Add: Jesse can retro fit them for about 300 each

• I have a lazy j20 with reverb, Vac and celestion blue. I've just re-tubed it with EH tubes as per Jesse's advice.

It comes with a fitted cover and I'd sell it for £1900 if you're interested?

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    counting the weeks till mine arrives!!!
  • you will not be disappointed :-)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674

I had a long chat with Jesse yesterday, and he is a great guy - he really is. Listened and answered all my daft questions, and was thoroughly helpful.

Top man - top amp !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Half way there till my LJ20 arives - struggling with my only other amp - a Roland Micro Cube!!!!! Patience I hear you say.
  • The first 3 months are the hardest so the worst is over ;)
    JonHosker;789607" said:
    Half way there till my LJ20 arives - struggling with my only other amp - a Roland Micro Cube!!!!!

Patience I hear you say.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • My recommendation, as a Lazy J 'fan boy', is to have the NON reverb and term option... Pedals can do this superbly these days