Miked or Miced or Mic'd or Micd or Micced...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    An American once told me, 'Any noun can be verbed'.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Miked looks odd, though I can't figure out why and it shouldn't do... liked is perfectly ok for instance. Mic'd should be "micked" but it looks right written down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    This is being "Miked"

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @HAL9000 - That's American wisdom for you :)

But as with any study of language there are plenty of exceptions to the rules. For example we adopted the verb 'telephoned' shortened to phoned whereas Amercians tend to say 'called'. But our Atlantic friends do normally love verbing their nouns. Some of them clang awkwardly, like 'planed' instead of flew ;)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    Minced.
    Whichever you use, this is just plain wrong...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Just going on pronunciation alone:

"Miked" sounds the way we say it. Like "Mike" but with an added 'd'.

"Miced" sounds like the plural of "Mouse" but with an added 'd'. Even the Americans would have trouble making a verb out of the plural of mouse.

"Mic'd", "Micd", or "Micced" all sound like "Mick" but with an added 'd'.

There's nothing wrong with "Mic" as an abbreviation for "microphone", I could even tolerate it as a verb (eg "can you mic this up please?", but would prefer "can you mike this up please?"), but for the past tense it has to be "miked" as in "he was miked up".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited July 2015
    Now you've got me worried about surgeons having fun at an open Mike night...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Sassafras said:
    Mic is short for microphone.
    Mike is short for Michael.
    Now I'm confused.

unless of course you got a guy called Mike and sat him in front of your cab..

then it'd be perfectly ok to say that your cab has been Miked..

play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    HAL9000 said:

jeez.... everyone knows off axis is much better
    play every note as if it were your first
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    I used mic'ed and don't find it awkward, but mic'd is fine too.

Anything else - especially with a k - is wrong, because it's a miss-spelling not an abbreviation, which should contain only letters that are in the full word, with an apostrophe to signify missing letters. [/pedant] :)

More importantly "mike" or "miked" is just far too Smashy 'n' Nicey.

It's mike and miked. English is fucked up, don't try to analyse it and find rules because there are just as many exceptions.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24310
    It's Mic and Mic'd.  Because it's an abbreviation of Microphone and Microphoned.  There is no 'K' in Microphone, therefore there is none in the abbreviations.  It's Mic and Mic'd because of the rules of English language.

Any other spelling is simply incorrect.  /Thread.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    OK, but then why does bicycle abbreviate to bike?

/Emp-Fab
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Almost always apostrophes are used to denote possession or missing letters.

There is no possessive element if there is a "d" involved, so in order for the apostrophe to be used correctly (and that's another argument altogether these days) there must be one or more missing letters.

So, what would be missing from "mic'd"? An "e", almost certainly. That can't be it, otherwise the word being abbreviated would be "miced", which is unambiguous in its pronunciation.

There must be an alternative letter, and using "biked" or "panicked" as examples, logic suggets it must be a "k", making the word "miked".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Emp_Fab;721477" said:
    It's Mic and Mic'd.  Because it's an abbreviation of Microphone and Microphoned.  There is no 'K' in Microphone, therefore there is none in the abbreviations.  It's Mic and Mic'd because of the rules of English language.

Any other spelling is simply incorrect.  /Thread.
    Poor Emp Fab. Constantly emperically wrong about everything. This thread has clearly demonstrated that there is strong precedent in the English language for "miked" being correct, yet you continue with your insane, delusional views to the point of sexual deviancy. :-O 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I am on holiday. I am not on TheFB. However, I have been reading the memoirs of Viv Albertine and found miked within it. I'm not sure that proves anything but I guess it got past Viv, an editor and a proof reader as okay.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    HAL9000 said:

No, it's brilliant. It means you can crank the amp without the soundman instantly saying you're too loud ;).

The guitarist in my band used to have one of those Marshall angled 2x12" cabs where the speakers are set diagonally, so there are two corners which are plain plywood behind the cloth - for some reason soundmen always seemed to mic the 'wrong' corner, so if it was a small gig where the guitar didn't really need to go through the PA, he wouldn't say anything... then happily oblige when the soundman called for more level from the guitar because he wasn't getting much :)).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom