Ever sold gear to somebody famous??

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Rox;718299" said:
    rossyamaha said:

I actually had one guy (who you will know but remain nameless) who when given a price for his shopping list of products gave the old "don't you know who I am" line.

I hope your response was "Yes, I do know who you are, and therefore, I know you can afford it."
    Cheap bastard.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Sold a Floyd Rose trem to James Mcilroy. Guitarist for Cradle of Filth. Not hugely famous but you would seen him in a number of music videos
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22167
    Effects were sold to Nick McCabe or the Verve. I also sold a guitar to the lead guitarist in (then) Hungary's premier pop guitar band (his words, not mine) :D

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Ryan Adams bought three of my flux capacitors. He even did a little video:

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Trotter;718277" said:
    [quote="Iamnobody;718220"]Sold a Telecaster to the White Lies roadie which he said was for the band.

It was a jap bigsby custom in sunburst.
    Think he still uses this, we did a few shows with them last year and he was playing a tobacco burst bigsby tele iirc

[/quote]

This one?

http://assets3.xfm.co.uk/2013/49/white-lies-xfm-winter-wonderland-2013-live--1386887691-view-0.jpg
    Stop crying, start buying
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2453
    Rox said:
    I actually had one guy (who you will know but remain nameless) who when given a price for his shopping list of products gave the old "don't you know who I am" line.
    I hope your response was "Yes, I do know who you are, and therefore, I know you can afford it."

Not quite. I was younger then and less tactful than I am. It was more like "I do know who you are but your shit still stinks and I couldn't give a flying fu*k if you were Jesus Christ himself, you're paying for the gear!".

In later years we actually became quite good friends. Funny how things turn out.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Iamnobody;718281" said:
    [quote="Trotter;718277"][quote="Iamnobody;718220"]Sold a Telecaster to the White Lies roadie which he said was for the band.

It was a jap bigsby custom in sunburst.
    Think he still uses this, we did a few shows with them last year and he was playing a tobacco burst bigsby tele iirc

[/quote]

Have you still got the '79?!

[/quote]

Unfortunately not mate :(
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sold drugs to Pete Doherty.
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox said:

Not quite. I was younger then and less tactful than I am. It was more like "I do know who you are but your shit still stinks and I couldn't give a flying fu*k if you were Jesus Christ himself, you're paying for the gear!".

In later years we actually became quite good friends. Funny how things turn out.

It was close enough for me.  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sassafras said:
    Sold drugs to Pete Doherty.

Who hasn't?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Ryan Adams bought three of my flux capacitors. He even did a little video:

https://twitter.com/TheRyanAdams/status/602225170707718146

The Winner! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited July 2015
    viz;718206" said:
    No but Steve Vai has; he sold me his amp.
    Steve Vai wanted to buy my copy of 'Alien love secrets' on vinyl as he said he didn't even know it existed on vinyl.

Knowing it was that rare I refused to part with it but he still signed it for me :)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I sold a Suhr GG modern to this guy, Olympic jumper athlete and a good player apparently.
    Used to frequent Musicradar forum.

Nice guy
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Traded a Music Man Luke 2 for a Mesa Duel Rec with Michael Casswell of iguitarmag/lick library fame about 6 years ago. He came over to my place to do the trade, his playing gave me an inferiority complex! ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve Vai wanted to buy my copy of 'Alien love secrets' on vinyl as he said he didn't even know it existed on vinyl. Knowing it was that rare I refused to part with it but he still signed it for me :)
    Knowing it was that rare, and that a presumably considerably wealthy person _really_ wanted it, I'd have named a silly price and tried my luck :)

I've never knowingly sold anything to anybody famous...  but I did once use an Aural Exciter that used to be Aswad's :/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehog;718417" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Steve Vai wanted to buy my copy of 'Alien love secrets' on vinyl as he said he didn't even know it existed on vinyl. Knowing it was that rare I refused to part with it but he still signed it for me :)

Knowing it was that rare, and that a presumably considerably wealthy person _really_ wanted it, I'd have named a silly price and tried my luck :)

I've never knowingly sold anything to anybody famous...  but I did once use an Aural Exciter that used to be Aswad's :/

Ah but I have everything he's ever put out on vinyl and lots of the rare stuff like flexible on 3 different covers all with original inserts etc and everything is signed.

Selling it would have messed up my collection. And that was 10 years ago and I've not seen another copy since
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited July 2015
    DartmoorHedgehog;718417" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Steve Vai wanted to buy my copy of 'Alien love secrets' on vinyl as he said he didn't even know it existed on vinyl. Knowing it was that rare I refused to part with it but he still signed it for me :)

Ah but I have everything he's ever put out on vinyl and lots of the rare stuff like flexible on 3 different covers all with original inserts etc and everything is signed.

Selling it would have messed up my collection. And that was 10 years ago and I've not seen another copy since

http://www.musicstack.com/show.cgi

EDIT: Oops, it won't link to the results. Search for it and you'll see 3 copies for sale. Not cheap mind.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I had an arion flanger that made wonky piano noises and I sold and sent it do someone at Line 6. So I'm hoping theres a wonky piano flanger model in the works somewhere.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I copied cubase for Bez, beat that if you can
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    12reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    Effects were sold to Nick McCabe or the Verve. 
     I couldn't think of anyone, then this reminded me that nicks superlead plexi is sat beside me….

Quite a lot of pedals go to Floods (killing Joke) studio in Spain as the guy I tech for demos with him.