The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Scotland vs England is my least favourite fixture of the six nations. Scotland have been an also-ran for so long now that there is nothing really to gain from beating them but everything to lose if England are beaten. It has to happen at some point and I'm dreading it. Italy isn't as bad because I quite like it when Italy do well and I don't know any Italians so wouldn't have to endure their gloats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    Gassage said:
    Guys- just done a statistical piece- some useful info here. Would appreciate feedback as this is the first of a new format:

It's in 2 posts.

With the Second Round of the RBS Six Nations upon us, Planet Rugby takes a look at the key statistics that will inform the fortunes of the teams at the weekend;

Ireland v Wales:

With Ireland in compelling form disposing of a below-par Scotland in Dublin, and Wales struggling to over come a spirited display by a resurgent and expansive Italy,  both teams will rely upon a strong defence but look for improvement in the ball carrying areas.

Wales’ 94% tackle completion last weekend showed their outstanding resistance and organization. Yet their ball carrying was amongst the poorest of the teams, with lock Alun-Wyn Jones (15 carries) leading their efforts, and the Welsh were second only to Scotland in terms of fewest overall metres made in the match (330). However, these statistics also prove that Wales are the most successful side in turning metres made into tries, which demonstrates a ruthless efficiency with ball in hand.

They showed a reliance on the boot to both clear and to attack with fly half Rhys Priestland kicking 16 times for touch or territory safe in the knowledge that British and Irish Lions second row Alun-Wyn Jones was the dominant line out force of the tournament with 7 wins, including 2 steals.

Ireland showed a strong carrying ability with 434m made overall from 137 carries, but worrying for Joe Schmidt will be their inability to offload, as they only managed to release the ball from contact on 6 occasions.

The Irish dangerman is flyhalf Johnny Sexton, who beat 5 defenders, including throwing the sublime feint and go to release skipper Jamie Heaslip for a galloping 30m try.

With Wales ever reliant on the boot of Leigh Halfpenny, the Irish discipline should stand the home team in good stead; they conceded a meager 7 penalties against Scotland, whilst Wales, who showed relative indiscipline with 14 offences, will be concerned about Johnny Sexton’s influence on the penalty exchanges.

The stats look to suggest it’ll be a game decided upon the effectiveness of the Welsh defence and the power of the Irish carrying, with Wales undoubtedly looking to prevent release at the breakdown, and using their outstanding efficiency in possession and attack to seal the game.

I like analytical peices like this becuase they give non rugby experts - like me - things to look out for in games. Nice work. if you haven't already you should check out some of Murray Kinsella's analysis peices for thescore.ie. Some really fantastic work there.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    edited February 2014
    Is it Wayne Barnes, I am not sure if Wales have won a game with him in charge ?

:-\" whistle happy git.

Got these detials on Wayne Barnes and Ireland from another forum. He has reffed us 6 times in the 6nations in total, and we have won once.

2013 - Italy - we lost 22-15 and received 3 yellow cards - 11 penalties.
    2013 - Scotland - we lost 12-8 - 13 penalties
    2012 - Wales - we lost 21-23 - 1 yellow card - 6 penalties
    2010 - France - we lost 33-10
    2009 - Wales - we won 15-17 as Stephen Jones' penalty kick flew just under the cross-bar
    2008 - Wales - we lost 12-16

To add to that, he's reffed Wales 5 times in the 6N and they've won on 4 occasions!

The 16th man v Ireland. I reckon yis have this sown up Koney.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    edited February 2014
    If any of you fancy a flutter, here's my weekend tips. Mike Brown is a nice bet for first try at Murrayfield and Parisse to score at 33/1 is fabulous

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• First try at murrayfield Johnny may for me. First try in Dublin Scott Williams First try Paris Nyanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbm said:
    Is it Wayne Barnes, I am not sure if Wales have won a game with him in charge ?

:-\" whistle happy git.

Got these detials on Wayne Barnes and Ireland from another forum. He has reffed us 6 times in the 6nations in total, and we have won once.

2013 - Italy - we lost 22-15 and received 3 yellow cards - 11 penalties.
    2013 - Scotland - we lost 12-8 - 13 penalties
    2012 - Wales - we lost 21-23 - 1 yellow card - 6 penalties
    2010 - France - we lost 33-10
    2009 - Wales - we won 15-17 as Stephen Jones' penalty kick flew just under the cross-bar
    2008 - Wales - we lost 12-16

To add to that, he's reffed Wales 5 times in the 6N and they've won on 4 occasions!

The 16th man v Ireland. I reckon yis have this sown up Koney.

Really surprised at that ! ;)
  • Can't help but feel weather is gonna play a huge part in all games today, Think Wales may have edge with captaincy today, calming influence on game etc.
    Kone- gale force outside.......a day for piano pushers methinks.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Yeah, it is pretty windy right now and raining.  Or at least it is in the Midlands of Ireland.  The South East coast is due a storm force battering in the next few hours.  Lansdowne Road err pardon 'Aviva Stadium, is in Dublin on the East coast.  Bring yer Barbour....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I don't fancy England's chances .. the pitch is a bog in places.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Poor by Wales, good by Ireland . Shocking game, surprised Wales are not 20 pts down.
    Yeah, not a great spectacle. Sexton playing the Welsh backs very well though.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited February 2014
    to say the welsh were one dimensional would be wrong, they weret that good.
    Who was that clown wearing no 23 in the centre -  

If the murryfield pitch is as bad as Frets says........we may be as dire as wales
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    Wales were pretty much dominated..
    bring on the England game.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

Tactically great from us. Wales made to look very very ordinary.

Pretty outstanding by Ireland. Liam Williams was made to look a fook by Sexton- out of position so many times it was untrue. Hats off to Kearney and D'Arcy- they made everysingle one of Sexton's bombs work through tireless chasing.

Peter O'Mahoney now has 10 turnovers in 2 games!

Gethin Jones- please someone tell me the point of this blancmange  of a player? He and and Jones did wellto con Barnes at least twice.

Shout outs for Connor Murray and big Pauly too.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    I think wales were lucky not to play with 14 a couple of times............ they certainly had the better of Barnes "doubtful"  decisions

Gethin Jones is a TV presenter............... I assume you mean Jenkins ?   :D 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Gethin Jenkins should not play anymore, never a great scrummager, now too fat and old to be a luxury.
    What does Hook have to do to play, shoot Priestland !
    Well done Ireland.
    Priestland was really poor. Biggar has to start v France. POM was outstanding today. That's three good performances on the bounce from Ireland. Hasn't happened in years. Schmidt deserves massive credit for his game plan today.

• tbm said:
    Priestland was really poor. Biggar has to start v France. POM was outstanding today. That's three good performances on the bounce from Ireland. Hasn't happened in years. Schmidt deserves massive credit for his game plan today.

But what is the point of Hook, there is only so long you can sit on bench.
    Very poor tactically by Gatland in all respects.