The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Quelle dommage >:D<
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    edited February 2014
     the Italians hands were pushing ball forward. Clear forward pass. Welsh always have problems with Irish refs, Like the penalty for Italian 10 running into paul James !
    want to take those blinkers off ?   I hate you think what you'f have been like if you'd lost.............

:D

We lost our most potent attacker almost immediately,  Jonny was looking pretty OK....... but can Lancaster now put "spotty dog" Goode along side Ashton, where he belongs..............Nowell..............hmmmmm     not sure.... deserves one more game..........

and can someone please teach Youngs to throw........................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2014
    bertie said:
     the Italians hands were pushing ball forward. Clear forward pass. Welsh always have problems with Irish refs, Like the penalty for Italian 10 running into paul James !
    want to take those blinkers off ?   I hate you think what you'f have been like if you'd lost.............

We lost our most potent attacker almost immediately,  Jonny was looking pretty OK....... but can Lancaster now put "spotty dog" Goode along side Ashton, where he belongs..............Nowell..............hmmmmm     not sure.... deserves one more game..........

The team made some bad decisions - not taking the penalty before half-time and then not keeping the ball and running the clock down at the end. The French didn't have an answer to England's forwards when they ran with ball in hand .. the moment you kick you cede posession.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bertie said:
    want to take those blinkers off ?   I hate you think whakt you'f have been like if you'd lost.............

First off with hindsight of TMO we should be able to get these things right.
     Also TJ said foul play by Paul James, ref seen it that it was not foul play same as everyone else, yet it was still given, yes we won, but instances like that can kill any teams momentum, when Wales wanted to speed game up, it was slowed down and unpunished by a pedantic ref. 

The England France game had a great ref who allowed game to flow, as he is sympathetic to the game, hence the verdict he's one of the best refs in world. I thought France would get a slight win, but England did fight back well.
     Nowell had a mixed bag, but first game, I hope he gets more game time, as for Johnny May, although I rate him for Gloucester, verdict is out whether he is international class until after a few games, so losing your most attacking threat is a bit of a daft statement really, as you had no idea if he was gonna be any good. And Goode was a decent guy to bring on. Burrell looks like he could be good but still early days there as well.
    Let's hope Wales and England both improve for next rounds. 
    Ireland to win, but not by much tomorrow, 5-10.
    so losing your most attacking threat is a bit of a daft statement really, as you had no idea if he was gonna be any good. And Goode was a decent guy to bring on. Burrell looks like he could be good but still early days there as well.

in the 15 or so minutes May was on the pitch he made 2 or 3 good breaks,  might not have been a a lot but  no one in the backs came close to matching that. He looked sharp, and right up until that point he was are best attacking thread 

Goode was the only guy to bring on. He's too slow, too wooden,  fucked up a scoring chance and possible cost the last French try
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited February 2014
    France decided to be France and stole that game. Great final play. Thought the English pack were fantastic in that second half but in fairness the two early French tires came form defensive howlers. Still thought Nowell did quite well, and the scrum cap kept the hair from annoying me. Vunipola was outstanding! If he can get a little better at offloading in the tackle he'll be unstoppable.

To take nothing away from the England effort but I thought the French attack looked poor and badly organised. Fofana was anonymous! I still think it will be Englands championship. 

Didn't see Wales Italy. Sounded like Sergio et al put it up to them though.

Hate when Ireland play on Sundays. Luckily only happening once this year.  

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • I think it should be a good game today, Ireland will be out to make a statement to rest of six nations in that they are to carry on where they left off against All Blacks.
    Scotland though, have no fear of Ireland and should be up for it. Can't wait.

Really tight so far. Great break by Sexton but it's mostly in the Irish half. POC is a massive loss. Scotish back row probably edging it. Try was well worked though.

• As expected, Scotland offering nothing.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4170
    edited February 2014
    Good win for Ireland, but laboured against a one dimensional team, bit like Welsh game in a way.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11378
    I presume the telly coverage was courtesy of RTE.

Like the BBC in recent years, they ruined it by trying to show a different angle every ten seconds, half of which were of no help at all.

No penetration in attack save for that Sexton break. We really missed Earls and Fitzgerald. Scotland tired and in fairness we were patient. Fairly passive in defence and Wales will destroy us next weekend of we give them as much time. A win is a win but I saw nothing to suggest that Wales won't win pulling up on Saturday.

Nice to see the bench actually used. Kidney used to throw on the replacements at 74/75 mins.

• tbm said:
    No penetration in attack save for that Sexton break. We really missed Earls and Fitzgerald. Scotland tired and in fairness we were patient. Fairly passive in defence and Wales will destroy us next weekend of we give them as much time. A win is a win but I saw nothing to suggest that Wales won't win pulling up on Saturday.

Nice to see the bench actually used. Kidney used to throw on the replacements at 74/75 mins.

I see no evidence of Wales destroying you at home ? we could win, but we have to play far better than we did Saturday.
    I think both teams will show up better on Saturday for sure, but I fear if we stand off in the same way we'll get punished. Wales are always pumped for Ireland games, and Mike Phillips tends to come out and boss those encounters, regardless of form.

I really hope Fitzgerald is fit.

Scotland? They started really well, had the best of the first half. Hogg and Maitland were always looking dangerous, in fact losing Maitland could have been the turning point. Evans is a fine player but he hasn't got the spark. They faded badly though and looked knackered for Kearneys try.

So, what have we leaned form the opening weekend?

edited February 2014
    tbm said:

So, what have we leaned form the opening weekend?

not to put your beer on the floor when Frank's around

depending on  Ireland v Wales next week,     -   Wales at home to France.............. England at Home to Ireland and Wales may be very significant I think
    I've read a few people saying this, but Hogg to 10? He needs to be on the ball more. Him and Laidlaw could form a great partnership.

Yeah, we'll know a lot more after next weekend I guess.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15645

not a lot we didn't already know really. Wales are a slow starter, could be a great season for them but we can't judge from that performance. Ireland we already know are capable of being mediocre one day then the next week playing out of their skins and being truly world class. England did a lot of the right things, but still managed to lose (and looks like we've lost yet another winger in the process). France still have the ability to score tries from the most unlikely of field positions. Still all up in the air I guess.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• tbm said:
    I've read a few people saying this, but Hogg to 10? He needs to be on the ball more. Him and Laidlaw could form a great partnership.

Yeah, we'll know a lot more after next weekend I guess.
    Gatland played Hogg at 10 in one of the Lions warm up games, if I remember rightly he wasn't bad, but not great.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    edited February 2014
    Yeah but that was to give him a run in the event that either Sexton or Farrell got injured on tour. Scotland are lacking a creative spart in the half backs, even though I rate Laidlaw really highly. If Johnson/Cotter told Townsend to give him a run at 10 I think he'd do well there.

Just looking at the highlights, Hogg was Scotleans best player by a mile, and arguably the best player on the pitch. He needs to get more ball.

hmm Burns back in the squad........ I like his play, but he's been a "little under par",  for well most of the season really.....so that surprised me..